In a great dilemma about college, some HELP!!!

Hotstuff

Skilled
Hey everyone,
Although I have been for quite few years at TE, I have been goin thru a great dilemma for quite some time
I am in a major Dilemma, but before that lemme give some background about myself:

I from New Delhi, India, I completed my class 12 in 2008 and got a decent but not great 91%. I come from a school ( DPS RKP) known to churn out the largest number of international students from India. About 70% of my friend circle is abroad US/UK/Canada etc. While in school I have been involved in stuff from being a member of the School's elite Computer Club for 5 years to participating in National level Future Cities competitions and carrying and conducting and Judging computer hardware based inter school competitions.
Few months down the line,
I give the engg. entrances, screw most of them and then Manage to get into one of the top colleges of Indraprastha University- GGSIPU ( New Delhi) where I have recently passed my first year and hated it thoroughly.

Here is where all the trouble starts
. As I mentioned earlier, I am more of a hands on out the class guy than an in class guy listening to stupid old farts. I would rather do something constructive myself. Here in my college I became an Microsoft Student Partner, cleared the second round of Imagine Cup 2009 and other stuff. But all this while I continuously hated myself for where I was. I received no cooperation frm any from, rather only scolding and discouragement from my profs and directors for a lot of my endeavours. Most students dont give a F*** to their future(they just want a engg degree and a placement in some stupid IT outsourcing company- no offense meant to anyone working there!!). I am quite the opposite. However, I would most probably like to go in for a masters from a top place ( yeah easier said than done).. So, in short it sucked big time.

Then this year in Feb, Carnegie Mellon Qatar Comp Sci profs had come to Delhi to meet the IIT ppl and they also held a session. My school counsellor said it was a good option fr me. So then I rushed thru my toefl n stuff and applied to CMU qatar , Australian National University, NTU, NUS. As expected, I got rejected at NTU and NUS. Got acceptances at CMUQ and ANU.

Now, CMUQ sounded as a good option as they are giving aid ( i desperately need that or not intl study for me) in the form of interest free loans which can either be paid off as 15% of your monthly income or by serving in Qatar for SIX YEARS ( where 1 year of work is monetarily equal to $27000, and one years tuition is $42000- same as Pittsburgh. You can also pay along as you work with whatever amount you are comfortable with.

I might want to go to a grad school before working. Does my education at CMU Qatar play a role any different from me doing my undergrad from CMU Pittsburgh in my acceptance in to a grad school in US or UK or lets say, getting work in a US based company inside US. My query is, that do you think I will be treated differently ( as in adversely) when I apply to a Grad school or a Job outside of Qatar when compared to a CMU Pittsburgh graduate.

Also, Is it worth taking that huge amount of loan or should I continue to study where I am and then settle for a compromise in university for a masters in US/UK.

I might get a full Scholarship from Australian National University for the Feb 2010 intake in their Computer Science Honours program, but the things have started turning bad for Indians in Australia ( racism n all). So parents are against that option specially in the current scenario. But this option is not closed. Best part about ANU if I go there, is that I am free man afte r the degree.

I WANT A HONEST OPINION FROM YOU GUYS. Please help me as I am in a complete dilemma. I have to reply to the CMUQ guys ASAP. SO guys n gals help me out!

PS: Thanks a ton for going thru this long rant of mine. I know it really takes a lot of patience but I would really appreciate it if you help me.
:huh::huh:
SO HELP ME OUT.. plz.

My question is that I have the three options that I have stated above, which one should I choose, keeping in mind the pros and cons of each of the options separately and then taking a collective decision between the three.

shouldnt it be your decision , since it is your life , why would ask suggestions from strangers , i could as well say choose option A , it really wont affect me wont it :D

sorry if i am blunt

CMU Qatar is no CMU Pittsburgh. So obviously there's bound to be differences in the way people judge you. However its a CMU after all and its better than gazillion other US universities. Actually a chap from CMU Qatar had come as an intern at the place where I worked earlier and he seemed like quite a sharp guy. I'm sure that the folks who'd go there would definitely be good. Also Qatar as a place is probably the most developed and cosmopolitan amongst all the middle eastern states. Its probably the only place in the middle east where women are held in high regard and not oppressed. There's a lot of money and very very few educated people.

I'm sure after you graduate from there, you'd have loads of options. If you are unhappy about where you are currently, it would do good to explore this option.

@Kippu: man i know its my life and my decision, but a little help or opinion from peole who might have more idea than me about stuff, doesnt harm and helps me in taking the decision

@Chaos: Thanks for the view. At CMU Qatar the faculty and the degree is the same as what you would get at CMU Pittsburgh, only that the environment would be different and that the course variety isnt that large, though I can spend a semester at Pittsbirgh to cover that up. My only quirk is that, is the six year bond, too long a problem in a country like Qatar or am I just overtly tensed over it?

Also, do you think that the US may return to its former glory ( with respect to its policies towards intl employees and would I be able to get a job in US after graduating from CMU Qatar and pay off the loan at 15% of whatever my monthly income is?

Any other views or opinions shall be greatly appreciated!

^ more often than not, they are bull shit piece advisors!!!! If you kno0w any good ones in Delhi, then you are most welcome to mention it.

There are more people in a similar boat here or people who have crossed this stage recently and people working in the industry at the moment, who I think have the ability to guide me better. Thats the reason I asked it here at TE. Afterall its the general section under which I am seeking advice.

CMU Qatar will greatly enhance your profile in case you decide to for graduate studies at a top place.. One of the most important components of a grad application is going to be your reco letters. Unfortunately for most of Indian students, we write these for ourselves. Quiet a few American universities just trash these so called recos without even opening them. CMU Q will give you a chance to work with faculty who come froma a very very closely knit academic scene(that in the US) This would mean that as long as you maintain a good acads record, you will also have decent recommendations to back you up.

Have you asked the folks at Qatar as to what happens if you decide to study futher? Would they expect you to continue studies in Qatar or would they expect you to study elsewhere and come back to serve the bond?

Frankly, 6 years is a LONG time. I'm not too sure how well established the industry in Qatar is. It might just happen that you end up being not so comfortable with the kind of job profiles on offer in Qatar.

PS - Visit http://www.edulix.com You just might draw a few more responses over tehre

I am an engineer myself and agree with stalky. CMU qatar is definitely worth more than where you are currently. take the 15% payoff route. will save you the hassles.

What do you think about the job market in U.S.? Do you think will it improve by the time I graduate , will I be able to get a job in U.S. Because if I return to India, and then pay off the bond it will be a hell of a task as it would take about 15-25 years to payoff that way. Do you you think it is worth that much. Or I should continue here and give US a shot for MS? As per a guy in CMU Q, he said that the job scenario in Qatar for CMU Q Comp Sci guys is pretty bad because they dont realize the worth of a CS grad and he ends up doing shitty IT work which is crap btw. He is an Indian and he is taking the 15% payoff route after he will graduate next year. I am really confused and dont really know what to do.

Today, CMUQ is a good option. Even Australia isn't a bad option either. But if you are talented and if luck comes from your way then even if you stay in Delhi you will be just as well placed 10-15 years down the line, irrespective of the option you choose today.

It is for you to choose which option gives you a better life for the next 10 years. If on the other hand you think you can't manage a sure shot seat in the top IIMs or if you can't score 750+ in GMAT then the abroad options give you a better base to bank on.

It all depends on your future plans and how gifted you are. Just answer a few questions:
Are you gifted enough to score a percentile high enough for the top IIMs? OR Can you manage a 1500+ in GRE? OR Can you do a 750+ in GMAT? If the answer to any of these questions is YES I would advise you to stay in Delhi. If on the other hand you feel that you are not sure then I would say try some of the mock tests and check where you stand. If you are sure that it is not something which can ever be sureshot for you then I would say going abroad may be a good oppurtunity.
Even if you can't score to top levels but if you manage to just do decently in college, get some average work exp and score well there and decently in other competitive examinations, then staying in India might still do the job. Else leaving is the sure way.

You should get yourself a good career counsellor, Mrs.Praveen Malhotra is a famous and nice option, though she charges a bomb. I recommend you to her. You can take her number from me if you want.
So it all depends whether you can crack through India's competition or not. Just because you didn't do it the first time means nothing, but whether you are gifted adequately or not means everything.

rite said:
Today, CMUQ is a good option. Even Australia isn't a bad option either. But if you are talented and if luck comes from your way then even if you stay in Delhi you will be just as well placed 10-15 years down the line, irrespective of the option you choose today.
It is for you to choose which option gives you a better life for the next 10 years. If on the other hand you think you can't manage a sure shot seat in the top IIMs or if you can't score 750+ in GMAT then the abroad options give you a better base to bank on.
It all depends on your future plans and how gifted you are. Just answer a few questions:

Are you gifted enough to score a percentile high enough for the top IIMs? OR Can you manage a 1500+ in GRE? OR Can you do a 750+ in GMAT? If the answer to any of these questions is YES I would advise you to stay in Delhi. If on the other hand you feel that you are not sure then I would say try some of the mock tests and check where you stand. If you are sure that it is not something which can ever be sureshot for you then I would say going abroad may be a good oppurtunity.

Even if you can't score to top levels but if you manage to just do decently in college, get some average work exp and score well there and decently in other competitive examinations, then staying in India might still do the job. Else leaving is the sure way.
You should get yourself a good career counsellor, Mrs.Praveen Malhotra is a famous and nice option, though she charges a bomb. I recommend you to her. You can take her number from me if you want.

So it all depends whether you can crack through India's competition or not. Just because you didn't do it the first time means nothing, but whether you are gifted adequately or not means everything.
A load of crap. GRE/GMAT scores are worth squat when it comes to Graduate admissions in the US.

Indians tend to give them WAY too much of importance thanks to our exam based system where scoring more than the chap next to you is the ONLY way of proving that you are better than him.

You dont need a career counsellor. What you need is a quiet hour or two of introspection. You need to decide whether you are ready to back yourself regardless of whatever choice you might make.

If you have faith in your abilities and are willing to put in that extra bit of effort, then there is no reason why you cannot hope to join a top flight institution anywhere in the world for higher studies.

Like I mentioned earlier, the job market for CS grads in Qatar is probably not developed well enough. I would suggest that you consider CMU Qatar if you have any desires of pursuing graduate level studies. That would be of maximum help to you.

Finally, like you mentioned, working off the bond here in India is not really much of a great option. Though in the Indian context you might land up with a great job that even pays you 6 figures a month, its still now going to be too helpful if you are looking to pay off tution of the scale that you will be remitting at CMU-Q

CMU has HUGE brand name in the Comp Sci field irrespective of the campus you pick.

Completely agree with Stalker on the recommendation letters point as well.

rite said:
Are you gifted enough to score a percentile high enough for the top IIMs? OR Can you manage a 1500+ in GRE? OR Can you do a 750+ in GMAT? If the answer to any of these questions is YES I would advise you to stay in Delhi.

What rubbish. SAT/GMAT/GRE scores are for establishing a standard, not for choosing students.

A friend of mine with a 2190 in SAT got though Stanford while another with a 2370 didn't.

CMU has HUGE brand name in the Comp Sci field irrespective of the campus you pick.

Completely agree with Stalker on the recommendation letters point as well.

rite said:
Are you gifted enough to score a percentile high enough for the top IIMs? OR Can you manage a 1500+ in GRE? OR Can you do a 750+ in GMAT? If the answer to any of these questions is YES I would advise you to stay in Delhi.
What rubbish. SAT/GMAT/GRE scores are for establishing a standard, not for choosing students.

A friend of mine with a 2190 in SAT got though Stanford while another with a 2370 didn't.

I quoting the reply that he gave to my query:

Here's the deal Srajan- DON'T come to the CMU-Qatar campus for Computer Science, especially if you're interested in recruitment only in Qatar. I'm not sure if you read through the financial aid bond completely- you CAN break the bond if you wish to work somewhere else and not in Doha. It comes at a price though- give up 15% of your monthly income to QF until your loan obligation is done with. That's what I'm doing. I hate the work ethic in the MIddle east, and I consider experience much more important than the money I'll make. So for me, I'm definitely not working in Doha after I graduate. I'll work anywhere else. Note that I'm a business major, but I know enough about CS because I have a lot of friends in that.

All that said, the EDUCATION is fantastic. If you're ready to make the compromise and come to Doha, that's good for you. Don;'t get me wrong, the school's amazing. For Business, I would have totally convinced you to come down. But although our CS program is so strong, no one in Qatar understands what the hell a CS graduate can apply his services to. That's why the graduates there get stuck in IT type of crappy jobs.

About your grad school query, NO. NOT AT ALL. You get a CMU-PIttsburgh certificate (I've seen it with my eyes, so trust me, I'm not lying to you) and if you're embarassed or uncertain about putting CMU-Q on your resume, by all means you don't need to do that. I initially didn't put CMU-Q on my resume when applying to summer internships, but I was an idiot. The minute I added it, my interview rate went up significantly. Because it differentiates you from the rest of the pack in PItt. You suddenly have that 'international' edge.

Its a good thing you provided your background. Helps me get a good perspective of where you're coming from. Srajan, my honest answer to you is NO. Don't come there for CS. Go to grad school in the US or UK where your skills might be better implemented. UNLESS you're mentally prepared to break the bond (like I am and a few others are), CS isn't the best idea.

Hope that helped.

Take care,

Sid

Sid is a fourth year(about to enter in fall 2009) Business Administration student at CMUQ.

This email has confused me even more. Can anyone here ( having any relatives or friends in Qatar) find out the exact job scenario in Qatar specially for CS grads, wrt to what kind of work they do and what are the average salaries for that.

It is really a crucial decision, because if the market in Qatar for CS grads is as shitty as he mentions or is he exaggerating it?:huh:

The future of the US job market after 4 years is hazy for international employees and no one can say how it is going to be after these 4 years.:huh:

If the Qatar jobs are so shitty, then I would have to break the bond and come to India and slowly pay off the debt. Even if I land up a very plush job(wrt Indian standards), it would take me an eternity to pay it off.:(

As stalker said, going to CMU and then coming back to India with 80 lack loan on my head is not something I would really want to do.

@Stalker: At CMUQ, they allow you to defer the service bond period by only one year to allow you to go for a masters anywhere in the world after you have taken the permission.

So guys this is pretty much the entire story. HELP ME OUT, as this problem is now actually getting to my nerves!:S:(:huh:

Back