In one para : what's wrong with our modern diet.

"Overall, using the GRADE framework, 22 pooled analyses were rated as low quality, with 19 rated as very low quality and four rated as moderate quality."
Your comment reminds me of skipping to the end of the review just to see the score the reviewer gave, instead of reading the whole review.

Having low confidence in the actual outcome of the analysis is clearly the sign of multiple factors that are at play here, which is why they surely cannot pin-point that UPF is the main culprit. That is exactly why have stated multiple times the word 'risks'.

they surely cannot pin-point that UPF is the main culprit. That is exactly why have stated multiple times the word 'risks'.
That is why this meta-analysis is junk to me. I have read many studies on UPF over the years, and not a single study has been conclusively able to prove anything. You cannot infer any conclusive evidence until you control the subjects completely to the point where they eat only what you provide them, also refraining from drinking, smoking, or taking drugs. Additionally, filter the candidates for any testable genetic defects or family history of diseases. Studies also need to include candidates like me who consume UPF but still maintain a healthy body fat percentage and receive adequate nutrition. Then we will know if UPF is really the culprit. UPF does not have anything which our body/digestive system cannot handle. Obesity and lack of nutrition is a known culprit for those 32 conditions (excluding obesity).

That is why this meta-analysis is junk to me. I have read many studies on UPF over the years, and not a single study has been conclusively able to prove anything. You cannot infer any conclusive evidence until you control the subjects c
Any piece of writing calling such studies junk, without doing it themselves, is much more junk. No study has been able to control the subjects to such an extent because it would cost a lot, and mankind is unwilling to spend so much to figure out what is good for their own health. But these people are doing what they can with the resources they have. Unlike armchair scientists calling their work junk.

That is exactly why have stated multiple times the word 'risks'.
As someone who has worked assessing financial risk for a fair bit, I can say that a lot of conventional science has yet to fully appreciate what is well known to those into risk assessment and mitigation. In many, if not most cases, it is best to mitigate the risk of ruin even if its uncertain that the risk will play out. In other words, risk of ruin is best avoided even if all we have are statistical signals, not necessarily evidence.

e.g. in January 2020, based on conventional scientific approach, the world's scientific institutions like WHO/CDCs and their equivalents were looking for evidence of the pandemic being a risk and hence there was no ban on flights to and from Wuhan/China. By the time scientists found evidence of human to human transmission, it was too late (without going into the political reasons behind why the evidence didn't emerge in time).

Last edited:
Perfect example! Unfortunately, humans currently do not have the ability to predict, nor do companies/regulators even try to assess long term impact of genetically modified food, because no company can wait for 20-30 years before selling their new patented technology (do note that even 20 years is not one generation). However, the human body is a complex system, and small genetic changes can potentially have unpredictable consequences.

Further, conventional science today assesses short term safety based on limited risk factors for the individual and assumes that there would be no long-term adverse consequences for the collective. Risks do not map, or scale linearly from individual to the collective, so long-term risks are ignored not just for the human race, but also for the concerned crop and the ecosystem.

@Neotheone
> nor do companies/regulators even try to assess long term impact

Rather, companies sometimes try to actively suppress information that can hurt their profits. For eg., nonstick kitchenware gag order saga, etc.
Uncomfortable realities...
---------------------------------------------------
edit:

Micro- and nanoplastics in the body are passed on during cell division

This makes a real uncomfortable read. Will future generations have to consider us 'plastic age civilization'' while treating health conditions passed on ?

Last edited:
EU found cancer-causing chemical in 527 Indian items

Between September 2020 and April 2024, food safety authorities in the European Union have found contamination in 527 products linked to India, most of them nuts and sesame seeds (313), herbs and spices (60), dietetic foods (48) and other food products (34).
hard negotiations, pressure tactics for FTA, which is delayed as India (Current Govt.) not bending rules as per Their wish.

they found issue since 2020, suspect timing & creditability of such reports, as election is going on in India and . why keep mum till to date?

Not only China but few US, Australia and Europe media also playing vital role in Indian Elections, indirectly.

अब भारतीय मसालों से ठीक होगा कैंसर! पेटेंट कराया गया रिसर्च

Whenever western Pharmacy Giants found any threat on their already settled narrative, they keep pushing such news.

Last edited:
This is not just pharma products, but food items in general ?

Even otherwise, we have to care about our own food, leave alone EU, etc.

There are recommendations like gamma radiation, etc., our govt. should take better precautions for the sake of our own people, leave alone foreigners.

Govt. Banned Desi Liquor/Drugs/Hukka Bar/e-cigarettes/Print Big Adv. of Cancer on Cigarettes' pack etc. etc. still people keep using it.

Isn't it better to boycott or not to use that brand or total avoid readymade masalas and start using home made masala?

One thing I know very clearly that never believe, eye closed, on western news/propaganda on Indian products. As they want you to stop using products that really healthy for you, otherwise how will they keeps selling their costly medicines/antibiotics/immune booster medicine etc. etc. If our Rs.10/- cost masalas (for 10 people) will replace their Rs.100/- tablet (for 1 people)

Last edited:
Indian pharma companies keep making cough syrups that are killing hundreds of children in Africa and around the world. Great PR work, I think. I'm sure we just created a generation of customers there. And then our food exports keep getting held up at international ports and rejected because they're adulterated. Absolutely hilarious. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if we just start selling and exporting straight up arsenic. Let's keep poisoning our populace and while we're at it, blow up the last shred of reputation our exports might have.

Indian pharma companies keep making cough syrups that are killing hundreds of children in Africa and around the world. Great PR work, I think. I'm sure we just created a generation of customers there. And then our food exports keep getting held up at international ports and rejected because they're adulterated. Absolutely hilarious. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if we just start selling and exporting straight up arsenic. Let's keep poisoning our populace and while we're at it, blow up the last shred of reputation our exports might have.
and what Union Carbide did in Bhopal? so did at that time Govt, blamed/banned all Foreign Company for wrong doing of ONE.

So why you blaming all Indian Pharma for wrong doing of one? and is there any guarantee that the same cough syrup kept below certain temperature/condition before administrating to poor/innocent children's?

It is heart breaking to hearing death news of any one and from any part of world.

From your post, I think now you will stop using any Indian Brand medicine / Masalas / Atta / Cloths / Water / Toilet / Train / Bus / Vehicles etc. as you will find issue here or while exporting of each and every products (each & every brand exporters keep recalling medicines, cars, machines, masalas etc. etc. if any authority raised flag or found any fault, but does it means they stop exporting & used same by that country people)

Last edited:
and what Union Carbide did in Bhopal? so did at that time Govt, blamed/banned all Foreign Company for wrong doing of ONE.

So why you blaming all Indian Pharma for wrong doing of one? and is there any guarantee that the same cough syrup kept below certain temperature/condition before administrating to poor/innocent children's?

It is heart breaking to hearing death news of any one and from any part of world.

From your post, I think now you will stop using any Indian Brand medicine / Masalas / Atta / Cloths / Water / Toilet / Train / Bus / Vehicles etc. as you will find issue here or while exporting of each and every products (each & every brand exporters keep recalling medicines, cars, machines, masalas etc. etc. if any authority raised flag or found any fault, but does it means they stop exporting & used same by that country people)
Union Carbide has nothing to do with this. Whataboutism will get us absolutely nowhere. We're taking about turning this country into a manufacturing and exporting giant and potentially uplifting hundreds of millions out of poverty. We're talking about not destroying our own country's human capital by allowing the continued adulteration of everything we consume.

It isn't just one Indian pharma company. It is a pattern of many.

I doubt it has anything to do with temperature ranges and everything to do with the lack of manufacturing standards and quality controls used by fly-by-night drug companies working out of a tin shop.

As far as the rest of the world is concerned, it might as well be true that one very bad Indian company spoils the reputation of the rest of them. If you want to conquer the world with Indian exports, which should be the singular mission that our entire country is obsessed with as that is the only practical way out of extreme poverty, then you must manufacture your goods to a minimum acceptable standard. At the very least. Ideally you surpass those standards and cultivate a reputation for excellent quality. In any sane country, this would be a matter of national pride because we should not want to associate subpar and toxic goods with our name.

Instead, we have completely failed to meet any sort of minimum because we have a lot of bad actors and very little oversight and enforcement of regulations. The solution is simple. We need much better enforcement of these quality standards on exports and a purge of these bad actors by the government.

If you want though, you can just keep blaming the WHO/WTO/US/EU etc. The world will use SEA/Mexico/pretty much anybody else over us. And we will have squandered yet another economic opportunity in our long history of such fumbles.

EU found cancer-causing chemical in 527 Indian items

Between September 2020 and April 2024, food safety authorities in the European Union have found contamination in 527 products linked to India, most of them nuts and sesame seeds (313), herbs and spices (60), dietetic foods (48) and other food products (34).
FSSAI and food safety is a joke these days. Anyone remember the girl who died after eating her birthday cake? :(

FSSAI and food safety is a joke these days.
I wonder why humans pull off such things. How can humans be so reckless towards the safety of fellow humans? Why should they even need a regulatory to regulate them? Can't they just put humans ahead of profit?

Do these nuts include local produce like the loose stuff? Cashew? Almonds?

Anyone remember the girl who died after eating her birthday cake? :(
There is a dedicated thread about this:

If you want though, you can just keep blaming the WHO/WTO/US/EU etc. The world will use SEA/Mexico/pretty much anybody else over us. And we will have squandered yet another economic opportunity in our long history of such fumbles.
Mexico is emerging fast, always thought this China+1 idea is about Mexico (for usa), India is probably for China+1+1.

@rootyme

Poverty create such issues, the other side definitely is pure greed.
Have seen food items being prepared in deep underbellies of Mumbai. But was jolted to see some non-veg items are processed in same area, to be supplied later for reputed star hotels nearby.

Also our country needs to set and enforce basic standards, for whatever economic growth phase we are going through, only setting minimum standards can benefit average man on the road and thus accelerate further development.

Last edited:
Back