India aims to convince Intel to build plant there

IndiaLogo.jpg

Santa Clara, California-based Intel already has a development center in India's technology capital, Bangalore, which designs and develops software to power chips that drive computers and high-end networks for Internet-based applications.

Over the past year, Maran has been aggressively lobbying firms to set up manufacturing units in India.

While India's software skills are widely recognized and firms such as Motorola have set up large units to outsource software services, the country is still not considered a world-class manufacturing destination due to its creaky infrastructure and restrictive labor laws.

There are no chip manufacturing units in the country.

But the tide is turning and firms such as Nokia and LG Electronics Inc. are investing millions of dollars to set up mobile handset manufacturing plants in India to cater for growing demand in Asia's fourth-largest economy.

Source

that's nice to hear, but i still feel its a distant reality.. about the powercuts, most of the SSIs already run on thier own diesel generators anyway ;)

India's information technology minister said Tuesday he will travel to the United States this month to encourage Intel Corp. to choose India as the site of its next factory.
Though considered a long-shot, India is one of several Asian countries lobbying to attract the world's largest chip maker to its shores to build a manufacturing plant. Analysts say Intel is preparing to announce this year a round of manufacturing investments worth up to $8 billion.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7725204/

Intel coming to India to setup a fab is a distant dream to me.
To attract, them you need to ahve good Power supply,power cuts are just not done.

For example,for a booming IT hub like Pune, 4 hrs power cuts is just pathetic.

Also the labour laws and procedural roadblocks are infinite.

nothing can happen till that changes.

China is far ahead of us when it comes to infrastructure.

Roads is another area where according to me, we are zero,we are improving but still it s a long way ahead.

Even though what i said is harsh,but what can i do,its true,isnt it ?

I would also love Intel having a Fab in India.

Darklord said:
I would also love Intel having a Fab in India.

I love an AMD fab plant instead :eek:hyeah: :tongue:

seriously, the roads are crammed. Currently in bangalore, all road traffic on Hosur road is suspended for about 4 hours every evening and morning, coz the IT ppl from Electronics City have to return to the city and have to go to work.....i saw HUUUGE lines of trucks queueing up when i was there......thats very bad.....

The two threads have been merged since both were related to the same discussion.

@ Darky: Ur comment about poor infrastructure reminds me of the sorry state ot heavy n congested traffic in Bangalore. It seems Foreigners who visit the IT capital on business find it hard to digest that they need one and half hours for travelling from their Hotel to the company n another couple of hours to get back! That and given the fact that there is a serious scarcity of 5-star hotels in Bangalore, most of the companies are building their own on-campus 5-star "guest blocks" with a complete 24-hour staff to cater to your needs. Plus its cuts atleast 3 hours of ur time travelling to and fro. :)

Back