CPU/Mobo India Microprocessor (India's own Processor, Finally!)

Could someone more in the know provide some info as to what kind of processing power is demanded by these systems?

@OP
Thanks for sharing :) cheers!

prakashan said:
Will they come up with some outdated technology? :p

For your kind information best of the enginiers from Intel and AMD are Indians.
And donot doubt on the talent of ISRO, BARC, C-DAC...etc.They are the best in the world who work for pride not for money.:hap2::hap2:

Considering the fact that the top engineers from ISRO and BARC alike organizations are behind this, I don't understand the mockery and pessimism that is going about this. Did u guys (who are mocking this) even care to read the article?? This chip is going to be used in Army and defense operations, it's not something they can afford to play fool around with. it's not some half-assed attempt like sub-$100 PC that ruling party tried to spin recently.

I assume this is a RISC-based architecture as the article mentions Sun OpenSparc... which makes sense, as RISC still packs quite a punch with linux. Plus, I suppose it should be more secure compared to wide-spread x86.

I'm sure we have the brains to make this chip, but the real question is, WILL IT ACTUALLY SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY?

Or will it end up like the Kaveri jet engine?

iGo said:
I suppose it should be more secure compared to wide-spread x86.

It will be more secure for now because it is unknown.

But ultimately whatever OS that runs on it will be the determining factor.

iGo said:
Considering the fact that the top engineers from ISRO and BARC alike organizations are behind this, I don't understand the mockery and pessimism that is going about this. Did u guys (who are mocking this) even care to read the article?? This chip is going to be used in Army and defense operations, it's not something they can afford to play fool around with. it's not some half-assed attempt like sub-$100 PC that ruling party tried to spin recently.

Thankfully, Its not just the 'top engineers' in ISRO or DRDO that work on projects like these, but a lot of work is offloaded to technology institutes like IIT's, IISc and IIIT. That's where the real talent is. My IIIT had one such important defense project when I was there.

Unfortunately due to the poor salaries in our Defence/Space research organizations and general attitude of our govt, very few really talented people actually reach these organizations. People who get there may actually get good at it after years of experience, but they do not represent the best of the talent in the country. From personal experience, I would say that a typical post graduate student in one of the institutes listed above is roughly equivalent or better than a typical 4~5 year old experienced scientist in ISRO, NRSA or DRDO.

iGo said:
I assume this is a RISC-based architecture as the article mentions Sun OpenSparc... which makes sense, as RISC still packs quite a punch with linux. Plus, I suppose it should be more secure compared to wide-spread x86.

I don't see how/why you linked RISC architecture to better security. RISC had its share of widespread use, its not like people cannot decode RISC machine code.

Just for autioning 3G Spectrum they are taking decades...you guys have hope that Indian Govt will have their own Proc by even 2050??

Indian Govt Sucks. Period .

Lord Nemesis said:
I don't see how/why you linked RISC architecture to better security. RISC had its share of widespread use, its not like people cannot decode RISC machine code.

Yeah... I mean I don't have much idea about how widespread RISC processors are, so I'm not sure how easy/hard they are to hack/access/decode... that's why I said, "I suppose it's more secure". :)

I guess they are talking simple yet robust microprocessors to be used in certain control applications in defence. I don't think we have any expertise in microprocessor design to design anything complex. Foreign companies are light years ahead.

Also, the whole idea of not compromising security will be lost if we do not manufacture the chips ourselves under stringent conditions. Where are the fabrication units? It might require a lot more that 200 million USD.

I don't understand what the big deal is anyway. Microprocessors are not safe? One way they can compromise defence electronics is via electromagnetic interference which can be avoided by shielding and high quality manufacturing with larger tolerances for components. This may be part of a bigger plan to develop India's technological capabilities.

sydras said:
This may be part of a bigger plan to develop India's technological capabilities.

Yep, plus whatever it costs to say we are not beholden to foreign entities for this particular component.

Otherwise for $200 million on the open market imagine what you could get without these constraints.

"The India Microprocessor is likely to adopt Sun Microsystem’s Open Sparc open source chip design technology, along with Linux operating system and MySQL database software."

So, theres nothing obscure about it.. :)

Anyway, great idea, though late...

Back