India: Right to repairs gets e-portal

Panda

Disciple
Consumer affairs minister Piyush Goyal on Saturday unveiled right to repair portal which would allow customers to exit the ambit of manufacturers in the event of their equipment failing, and seek repairs elsewhere, joining a clutch of countries like the US and the UK that offer this facility.

He also unveiled an NTH mobile app and opened the new premises of National Consumer Helpline centre in Delhi to mark National Consumer Day. The Consumer affairs department and IIT-BHU, Varanasi, signed a memorandum of understanding for capacity building for consumer rights commissions.

On the 'right to repair' portal, manufacturers will share the manual of product details with customers so that they can either repair the gadgets themselves or have them repaired by third parties, rather than depend on original manufacturers.
via: https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nation/in-other-news/251222/right-to-repairs-gets-e-portal.html

Right to Repair: https://www.righttorepairindia.in

On the 'right to repair' portal, manufacturers will share the manual of product details with customers so that they can either repair the gadgets themselves or have them repaired by third parties, rather than depend on original manufacturers.

Do they mean the same usual pdf that a manufacturer puts on their website or is it like a real maintenance manual where everything is listed properly so we can order the right part? I doubt it's the latter.

Early days

This implies the service manual of the product will be shared but all I see is a link to the vendor's site for owners manuals which does not allow any repair. And some companies I notice do not even publish the owner manual on their website.

Initially, the portal would cover mobile phones, electronic, consumer durables, automobile and farming equipment.
The only products LG has listed right now is air purifier. water purifier and water softener. Looking wider its just purifiers. So these companies have an interest in getting listed there first.

It was proposed that allowing right to repair would allow the growth of repair shops. It would also prevent customers from discarding gadgets that were deemed difficult or expensive to repair with the original manufacturers.
It also requires spares to be available.

Speaking on the theme “Effective disposal of cases in consumer commission” on the occasion of National Consumer Day, Goyal lauded the consumer commissions for disposing of a higher number of pending cases in the last six months and expressed confidence in eliminating the backlog of cases across the country. Under the Consumer Protection law, a complaint is required to be disposed of within 90 days of its filing and within 150 days wherever expert evidence is required to be taken.
I wonder what remedies can be offered here given the above. I gues we will find out in time. It's a good initiative.
While a good initiative it's sad to see laptops/computers are not in covered gadgets even when knowing their importance in modern age.
I'd imagine they would cover Laptops if mobiles are there

What does it all mean I don't quite understand yet.

Last edited:
While a good initiative it's sad to see laptops/computers are not in covered gadgets even when knowing their importance in modern age.
The last time I checked yesterday, even mobiles were not supported. I guess it's still in infancy, so it will take its own time before it becomes full-flegedly available for customer grievances.

I'd imagine they would cover Laptops if mobiles are there
Nice edit :) I saw the previous where you said laptops are supported. Anyways, as you must have read in the article you linked it's a "maybe" for now.

1672246196953.png

Currently it's neither a category nor a sub-category.

Start tweeting to include cellphone/tabs/tv/refrigerator/computer spares .Nowadays nobody repairs motherboard etc .In the olden days there used to be proper BGA rework and what not Companies like Asus and Gigabyte have official repair stores in taiwan where they will repair the goods for you ,They too should be strong armed to open official repair shop for their products in tier 1 and tier 2 cities.

For all the people complaining, this is actually a huge step moving forward and the first step is always the toughest in such steps. They'll make amendments every now & then, provided the manufacturers/OEM's don't bribe them to not include something.

For all the people complaining, this is actually a huge step moving forward and the first step is always the toughest in such steps. They'll make amendments every now & then, provided the manufacturers/OEM's don't bribe them to not include something.
If it can happen in the US, it can certainly happen here. I'm not complaining but I don't have trust in this because of our govt. and the corporations.

If it can happen in the US, it can certainly happen here. I'm not complaining but I don't have trust in this, our govt. and the corporations.

Well, under capitalism, it has always been, "of the corporations, by the corporations, for the corporations", across all countries, except for EU, where they have their things together.

Back