India stands 115th in internet speed

ayanavish

- binned -
Skilled
India stands 115th in internet speed

New Delhi: India's poor internet connectivity makes the country stand at 115th position in terms of speed, among 223 nations. As per a report, India's average internet connection speed stands low at 772 Kbps compared to the global average of 1.5 Mbps.

The country ranks 93rd in terms of broadband adoption globally with 3.74 percent connections at speed over 2 Mbps and 55th for the adoption of narrowband adoption at speeds below 256 Kbps. In terms of broadband penetration, India had 0.0001 broadband IPs per capita. Meanwhile, on another parameter called attack traffic - a measure of rogue activity on the Internet, such as DNS attacks, bots, spam activity and hackers, India ranked 17th globally.

The findings are based on the 'State of the Internet' report released by Akamai, which also pinpoints that approximately 19 percent internet connections around the world were at high broadband with speeds greater than 5 Mbps. The report features South Africa on the top with the country witnessing the highest percentage of connections on high broadband. Even in the in the prior quarter South Korea, Sweden, the Netherlands, Denmark and Norway stood with high broadband IPs per capita though comparatively less than the present.

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Here is TRAI website link

http://www.trai.gov.in/Default.asp

Here is another one:

ISPs irked by TRAI norms

NEW DELHI: Standalone Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and some telcos have opposed TRAI's plans to introduce regulations to ensure that ISPs

provide internet connections to only based only on the capacity of traffic they can carry.

The number of high-speed Internet connections an ISP can support depends on the bandwidth availability. The regulator had proposed to introduce norms that would specify the ratio between the number of customers per unit bandwidth which is known as contention ratio. As per international practices, the average contention ratio for a home user package is 50:1 and that for business package is 20:1.

TRAI has said that most ISPs compromise on quality by accommodating a higher number of subscribers bringing down broadband speeds and congesting networks. The regulator had mooted this move as it had been flooded with complaints that broadband/dial-up speeds were almost always lower than those promised by the operators.

Responding to TRAI's proposal, the ISP association of India, the body representing all standalone ISPs said: "At this point of time, fixing up a contention ratio, will put standalone ISPs at a serious disadvantage as cost of delivery of Internet Bandwidth is bound to go up. Telcos offering similar internet services are tempted to offer predatory prices as they own the last mile, and at the same time by bundling telephony along with internet to enhance their otherwise idle last mile."

The association, while asking TRAI to defer this proposal by 2-3 years, also warned that if implemented, this could 'wipe off the competition in the market and would not benefit consumer nor industry'.

But, state-owned telcos BSNL and MTNL have supported the regulator's plans to specify contention ratios. India's largest telco Bharti Airtel, while endorsing TRAI's proposal has also asked the regulator to initiate a series of steps to help speed up internet services in the country. It has pointed out that by setting up additional data centres within the country, domestic traffic will be switched locally rather then being routed back from centres located abroad.

On the other hand, Reliance Communications has said that contention ratio is an in-efficient measure to ensure the quality for service for the subscribers. "Since the consumer usage is dynamic, there could be instances when even the adoption of contention ratio would fail to meet the quality of service guidelines and fail in its objective. The contention ratio is likely to result in large scale redundancy and in inefficient use of resources. This would increase the cost and tariffs for subscribers," the company added.

Source: ISPs irked by TRAI norms- Telecom-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Dude actually we are 116th member according to Speedtest.net

Our avg net speed is as low 1.2 Mbps ...Wheras Korea`s the best has as high avg speed as 17.2,

Think what will be their Highest Brdbnd speeds...

However your post was quite infromative and I actually cam to know about contention Ratio and other good things...
Thanks man....

himanshuaieee said:
Dude actually we are 116th member according to Speedtest.net

Our avg net speed is as low 1.2 Mbps ...Wheras Korea`s the best has as high avg speed as 17.2,

Think what will be their Highest Brdbnd speeds...

They have actually gone down 7 steps I think :clap: :clap: lol

Image Hosting

Forget about the ranking. My question is what is the real bottle neck (technically as well as financially) in increasing the bandwidth. Why our speed is less. Dont we have the infrastructure ? like cable links and other things?

paraskhosla said:
globally people are now aiming for 1 gigabyte and were still here looking for for 1 mb connections

makes me lol
I have a 2 mbps connection since nearly 2 years in Mumbai... It was cheaper earlier, now the overall price has increased a little for the same plan instead of decreasing... :mad:

ayanavish said:
They have actually gone down 7 steps I think :clap: :clap: lol
I've been upgraded from 2 mbps to 8 mbps (at home in Singapore) and around 30 mbps in daytime (average 38.73 mbps and max 92.37 mbps till now) in office :eek:hyeah:

Speedtest ranks Singapore at 16th place...
Rank 16. -- 6.79 Mb/s -- Singapore

anandkrishnantc said:
Forget about the ranking. My question is what is the real bottle neck (technically as well as financially) in increasing the bandwidth. Why our speed is less. Dont we have the infrastructure ? like cable links and other things?

Simple ans. INDIA

Back