Indian cashback sites, tighten your seatbelts! Here comes a Singapore startup.

Do you think ShopBack has a chance in India?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Time will tell...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Abilash1

Recruit
https://www.techinasia.com/indian-cashback-sites-tighten-seatbelts-singapore-startup

Singapore firm ShopBack is coming to India to challenge existing Indian Cashback companies such as Cashkaro, GoPaisa etc. etc. For those who don't know what Cashback is, it is a relatively new concept to the E-commerce industry where Online Shopping Portals pay sites a commission for generating sales for them. The cashback site then takes the commission and splits it with the customer, thereby generating additional savings for Shoppers.

This comes weeks after Cashkaro announced that they were going to launch in Singapore. Is this a possible retaliation to CashKaro's earlier announcement. Or is the other way around, seeing how that ShopBack has launched in India already with CashKaro still stuck in doing Market Research on Singapore.

In my opinion, ShopBack is going to have a tough time trying to capture Customers in India, given that South East Asia is a completely different ball game compared to India. But, their background might also prove to be advantageous to them seeing how they are able to adapt quickly to the market, as seen from their rapid expansion into Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines. Employing aggressive tactics in India with a Rs.100 off the first purchase and a Rs.100 Referral bonus and increasing the amount of Cashback on popular merchants might not necessarily work in India as I believe people are likely to stay loyal to the Cashback website that they are currently using.

As a Cashkaro user, I know I will be hesitant to switch to ShopBack or any other website for the simple matter than I have been using their platform for a while already. But I do have to note that order tracking in CashKaro and Customer Service has been noted to be quite bad for CashKaro especially with the number of complaints I see on twitter and FB, so I think that a company that is from Singapore may prove to be reliable as they are in several countries already, so that probably means they are offering a tried-and-tested product. But then again, so has CashKaro seeing that it has been in India for a while.

All in all, I feel quite excited to see this as I think that more competition is better for us as consumers, as the ensuing price wars will allow us to save more on our online shopping. What do you think?

I've never used any cashback on any of my order nor do I really understand how they work. :X
Reading some web articles I feel that this Singaporean product will struggle to find a foothold.

I've never used any cashback on any of my order nor do I really understand how they work. :X
Reading some web articles I feel that this Singaporean product will struggle to find a foothold.
I have never used in India but I make it a point to use those in USA for sure. And sometimes they are lot more effective. Like once Tracfone had an offer which has some talk time and phone for $10 and ebates cash back site had cash back of $15 if one bought phone and talk time card from Tracfone if one went through their website. I did 2x transactions and for each I spent $10 and received $15 cash back and on top of that I sold that Tracfone card for $10 so additional benefit for me.

Back