Indian influences on Star Wars

Radon

Disciple
*Before I begin writing, I must say I do object to the term "Hinduism" being applied to the primary religion of India. This was a term coined by the European colonists and never used by the actual believers prior to the colonists' arrival. A more appropriate term would be "Varnashrama Dharma", "Sanatan Dharma", or "Vedic". However, for the sake of easy reading and familiarity, I will use the term "Hindu" in this essay, but will use "Vedic" as often as possible. And for that matter, "Bharata" is a more appropriate name than "India". At the risk of becoming excessively politically correct, I shall stop here.

More Hindu Themes in the "Star Wars" Saga

By Cie Sharp

In 1994, Rajan Rajbhandari wrote an essay entitled "Star Wars and Hinduism" (http://www.thejediplanet.com/features/hindu.shtml), which dealt with several Hindu themes embedded in the original three movies of the Star Wars trilogy. Although people have cited many other cultural origins to "Star Wars" names and themes besides India and Hinduism, I am particularly attracted to the Hindu elements, and personally believe they outshine all others.

Rajbhandari's essay was written five years before the first of the prequel trilogy movies was released, and as such, it is bereft of the themes and terms embedded in Episodes One and Two. I attempted to write to Rajbhandari several times about this, to see if he ever intended to write a "sequel" about his essay, but have yet to receive a response. I hardly consider myself qualified to undertake such a task, but through my sheer enthusiasm, sparked by the insightful "Star Wars and Hinduism" essay, I am strongly compelled to write such a "sequel" myself. My only hope is that my words are found to be accurate, thought provoking, and devoid of bias and "delusions of grandeur".

To reiterate, the following were the key themes from the Original Trilogy as cited by Rajbhandari:

• Yoda concealed himself in the forest, like a Rishi (the venerable sages of Vedic society), or similar to how the Pandavas spent part of their time when they were in exile from the Kauravas (from the "Mahabharat", India's foremost epic which features the "Bhagavad Gita"). In addition, Yoda attempted to fool Luke Skywalker into thinking that he was just a simple sentient creature with no higher abilities, a tactic often used by Rishis, Sadhus, and some Gurus, in order to weed out the true aspirants from the pretenders.
  • The nature of the Force and its close similarity to Brahman. In the Empire Strikes Back, Yoda says the Force "surrounds us ... and binds us" and then says "luminous beings are we, not this crude matter". This mirrors the Hindu concept that we are not synonymous with the body, but rather we are higher. The "matter" we are composed of externally is "crude" and therefore, unreliable at best. Obi-Wan Kenobi's quote in "Star Wars: A New Hope" "Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them" is a further assertation that matter can be deceiving. The "Hindu" equivolent of this matter is known as "Maya", or illusory energy.
  • The position that Luke was forced into, i.e. having to do battle with one's own father, brings to mind Arjuna's early predicament in the Bhagavad Gita. He was to do battle with his relatives the Kauravas, but in the beginning, refused to do so. Krishna told Arjuna to remove himself from the attachment, and to complete his warrior caste duty as a ksatriya. Similarly, Obi-Wan Kenobi compells Luke Skywalker to fight his father on very similar grounds.
With the introduction of the prequel trilogy, we are introduced to a few new themes, terms, and information in general. To start with, we have a slew of new names with Sanskrit origins. The following is a list:

• "Shmi" Skywalker - The mother of Anakin Skywalker, her name is widely accepted to be a halved version of "Lakshmi", who is the Consort of Lord Vishnu. Those who worship Lord Vishnu exclusively consider Lakshmi devi to have motherly "shakti" or potency, among a plethora of other potencies.
  • Padme - The woman who would eventually be the wife of the movie's protagonist Anakin Skywalker. "Padme" means "lotus flower" in Sanskrit, and is widely used in poetry and scripture.
  • King Varuna - A king of Padme's homeworld of Naboo, the name is obviously a tribute to Veruna, the demigod of oceans. Naboo has many attractive waterways, as can be seen in Episode 2 of the "Star Wars" films.
  • Gungans - The name of the race of aquatic, sentient beings that most movie fans have found annoying, their name is clearly derived from "Ganga", one of the seven holy rivers in India.
  • Shaak Ti - The name of a female Jedi master, a simple definition of the word shakti would be "energy" or "potency". When there is a personal embodiment of shakti, it is predominantly in a feminine form.
  • Depa Billaba - The name of another female Jedi master (played by an actress of Indian origin), who served on the "Jedi Council" in the prequel trilogy. Another transliteration of these two words would be "Deepa Ballabha", which means "the master of the light".
  • Yoda - I have saved the most interesting for the last. Various sources say "Yoda" is a derivation of the Japanese word "yodan", meaning "conclusion". We are also pointed to "Yodeah", a Hebrew word meaning "knows". The exact word "yoda" is found in Punjabi (sometimes presumed to be from Sanskrit) meaning "warrior". Interestingly enough, we do not see Yoda's warrior prowess until Star Wars: Episode 2. On a sidenote, the word "yoga" came to mind whenever I heard or thought of Yoda's name.
  • Mandalore - The planet where Jango Fett allegedly originated from, the origin is "Mandala", a symbol of Hindu origin.
  • The Rishi Maze - This is a part of space which is directly adjacent to the planet "Kamino", as Obi-Wan Kenobi is told. A "Rishi" is a very powerful sage of Vedic times, as has been explained earlier.
This shouldn't be considered an all-comprehensive list of Star Wars names with Indian/Hindu origin, but these are the major known derivations that I was able to find. Special thanks should go to The University of Aldera website ( http://www.aldera.net/ ) for some name origins, "Yoda" in particular!

Next, I would like to examine some themes. Not so many, as to bore the audience with Quixotic windmills, but a few key themes from the prequels (as well as one from the original trilogy which Rajbhandari did not cite). First I would like to examine the Jedi. We see several influences concerning the Jedi. One popular view is that they are a spiritual samurai caste. The fact that they risk their lives for sometimes ungrateful captors mirrors Kurasawa's "Seven Samurai", but the strong spiritual element of the Jedi suggests another influence. To those more versed with eastern Asia, the buddhist monks who are adept at various forms of martial arts may be brought to mind.

However, as I see "the whole picture", i.e. the Jedi of the original trilogy, as well as those of Star Wars Episodes One and Two, I see the Jedi as brahmins, the priestly caste of the Hindu Varnashrama system. The Jedi are primarily spiritual in nature, and to be a Jedi is a birthright, as is being a brahmin. The Jedi dress simply, and brahmins likewise stay away from opulent clothing. Do you see that ponytail that Anakin, Obi-Wan, and other Jedi sport, which originated from the rear-top portion of the head? This is known as a "sikka", which is attained by shaving one's head and leaving a portion of hair behind and letting this grow. It is considered a source of spiritual energy. The custom of sporting a sikka is especially prevalent in the Sri Brahma Madhava Sampradaya of Vaishnavism, among many other brahmins that follow Vedic scripture. The western equivolent of this concept can be found in the story of Samson of Biblical times.

The first reaction to this concept may be "but brahmins are the priestly caste, they never fight!" Not so. Although a brahmin by nature would want to avoid fighting, there are notable brahmins who were quite adept at besting the ksatriyas, those of the Hindu warrior caste. First and foremost, there is Sri Parashurama, the sixth incarnation of Lord Krishna (also known as Lord Vishnu). His Pastime involves slaying all the unscrupulous people who suddenly dominated the ksatriya caste, and were ruling in a most unjust manner. Sri Parashurama's fighting abilities far dwarfed those of any ksatriya.

Another example of a "fighting brahmin" would be Drona Acharya, an apprentice of Sri Parashurama. He is most notable as the teacher of the Pandavas, Arjuna (of the Bhagavad Gita) being his most adept apprentice. He also fought quite valiantly at the Battle of Kurukshetra (Mahabharata) until he was (falsely) told that his son Ashvattama was killed in battle. He willingly surrendered out of grief for his son, and was then most unfairly killed while his guard was down. It is interesting to add that in a previous draft of Episode 2, during the huge battle of the end, Dooku tells Anakin that Padme has died to catch him off guard. (on another sidenote, in the first draft of Episode 2, during Anakin and Padme's wedding ceremony, flower petals were to have been thrown at the bride and groom. It is a strong Vedic custom to throw flower petals during an auspicious time)

Another interesting parallel between the Vedic brahmins and the Jedi of George Lucas' Star Wars stories is the guru/disciple relationship shared between Jedi Master and Jedi apprentice. It is like mentor and student, but much stronger and tighter than in western terms. The closeness between guru and disciple is almost like father and son in that the master, or the guru, has a great deal of authority and fatherly affection for the student, or apprentice.

The story of Anakin Skywalker is very similar to the Pastime of Sri Parashurama, but with some notable difference. Anakin is instrumental in exterminating the Jedi Knights, effectively ending the Old Republic. By now, I'm sure every reader is questioning my logic. "How could eliminating the Jedi and ending the Republic be possibly good?" It's a fair question to ask, and I promise you that I have a logical answer. Please continue to read.

First of all, it is akin to Arjuna asking Krishna how could it be good to kill his family, the Kauravas. We must have faith and know all the facts.

The Jedi were highly enlightened. I loved watching the Jedi scenes of Star Wars. I honestly think that it's the only theme which keeps me watching these movies. But, they were filled with pride, and this is what ultimately did them in. The Sanskrit word is "pratishta".

When we first see Star Wars Episodes One and Two, the Jedi seemed to be an elite police force which the Galactic Senate, particuarly the Supreme Chancellor, uses quite often. Even the Jedi Temple of Coruscant towers high over the other buildings of the city.

In an official tone, Anakin tells night club goers "Jedi business, go back to your drinks" after Obi-Wan Kenobi subdues a shady bounty hunter in Episode Two.

In Episode One, Jedi master Qui Gon Jinn haughtily asserts that he "didn't come (to Tatooine) to free slaves".

When they later return to Naboo, his apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi asks his master why they must bother with a "lower life form" referring to a Gungan (water-dwelling) creature. Yet Yoda asserts that we are all "luminous beings".

When Obi-Wan Kenobi is looking for the planet Kamino and attempts to find it in the Jedi records, Jedi Librarian Jocasta Nu tells him, "if an item does not appear in our records, it does not exist!"

Even Mace Windu's comment "This party's over", can be considered a prideful boast of verbal chest banging (especially considering the amount of Jedi casualties during that battle).

When Obi-Wan Kenobi confides to Yoda that he finds his apprentice Anakin to be arrogant, Yoda responds, "Ah, yes, a trait far more common among Jedi now. Too sure of themselves, even the older, more experienced ones" He glanced at Jedi master Mace Windu as uttering the final words of his second sentence. So it's a viable problem that even exposes those who are supposed to be the most advanced, and Yoda lucidly exposes this.

It is said that pride does "cometh before a fall". Here, we have a chosen people, the highest caste of Star Wars society, acting most improperly. With the power and birthright of the Jedi came a supreme responsibility. A responsibility to be humble, respectful of all life forms, and justful in all situations. The Jedi were starting to reneg on their responsibilities. More were gradually leaving to the dark side, as could be seen even with the late Qui Gon Jinn's powerful and venerable Jedi preceptor, Count Dooku.

Just as the ksatriyas needed to be stopped by Sri Parashurama, similarly in this fictional universe, there needed to be a purge of the Jedi. The prophecy of the one who brings balance to force is clearly Anakin Skywalker, as he does in fact bring balance, albeit by violent means, and beyond his own mortal understanding.

Anakin Skywalker is temporarily under the influence of the evil Emperor, but is suddenly brought to the good side by his estranged son Luke Skywalker. I recall one interfaith essay about Star Wars where the author asserted that this is where the Hindu similarity ends and the Christian similarity begins with the concept of the son redeeming the father. I simply cannot agree that redemption and forgiveness is exclusively Christian. In fact, Anakin Skywalker's redemption reminds me more of a Vedic pastime than anything else. Those well versed in Vedic scripture, particularly the Srimad Bhagavatam, also known as the Bhagavat Purana, will cite the Pastimes of Ajamila (found in the sixth Canto).

Ajamila was born a brahmin, but strayed from this path and lived a very sinful life. He married a prostitute and made his living by gambling. He had many sons, but named the final son, "Narayana", one of the holy names of Vishnu. Names are quite important in the Vedic belief system, and so is the disposition of the person during the final moments of life into death. When he called for his son "Narayana" out of fear of death, he was redeemed through his son and saved from hell.

Similarly, we see the character Anakin as Darth Vader, remaining on the side of evil, until he could no longer bear to see his son tortured by the Emperor, and killed the latter by throwing him into an endless chasm. In the last moments of life, he took off the mask which kept him alive, to see his son with his own eyes. In these final moments, he died, and was brought into good's graces.

Luke Skywalker, despite his imperfections, and vices inherited from his father, prevailed. He did what Yoda and Obi-Wan considered to be impossible and saved his father from darkness. He was completely detached, and chose to sacrifice his body; surrender himself to the Empire, to find his father, not to fight him, but to bring him back. Through such actions, he acted just, humble, and filled with compassion; thus the path of the Jedi was set right again, and was most probably much better off than it would have been had Anakin not turned to the dark side.

While I realize that some who follow the Vedas might accuse me of succombing to pop culture's (or maya's) grip by completing this eye, and Star Wars fans will say that perhaps I take the mythos too seriously, I was very compelled to write this essay, and have wanted to complete it for a very long time. Partially to contribute to a childhood fancy, but also in deep reverence and enthusiasm for my own beliefs in the Vedas. I believe that Sanatana Dharma is ultimately the origin of everything, so it was quite exhilerating to see so many parallels in the twentieth century "Star Wars" mythos. I wished to share my thoughts with everybody, and hope you find them to be interesting, insightful, illuminating, and logical. Thank you for lending me your eyes for this time.

--

APPENDIX

Sanskrit songs of Star Wars (both from Episode One: The Phantom Menace)

"Qui-Gon's Funeral" ("Death's Long Sweet Sleep")

Madhurah swehpna, go rahdomah swehpna.

Madhurah swehpna, go rahdomah swehpna,

morittioo, madhurah, swehpna.

the lyrics mean:

Madhura = sweet Svapnya = sleep, dream

Go = go Ra = acquire

Dama = self-control Mari = death

Tu = overcome

--

"The Duel of the Fates"

Korah Matah Korah Rahtahmah

Korah Rahtamah Yoodhah Korah

Korah Syahdho Rahtahmah Daanyah

Korah Keelah Daanyah

Nyohah Keelah Korah Rahtahmah

Syadho Keelah Korah Rahtahmah

Korah Daanyah Korah Rahtahmah

Korah Matah Korah Rahtahmah

Khara = dreadful Matha = head

Rath = speak Amah = give

Yuddha = battle Syada = raging

Dai = purify Ya = going

Ki = like La = taking

Dan = separate Niha = loss

"John Williams used one line ...from Robert Graves' translation of the Celtic Poem "Cad Goddeu" ("The Battle of the Trees"):

'Under the tongue root a fight most dread, and another raging, behind, in the head.'

This single line, chanted repeatedly, serves as an allegory. The wars are fought on 2 scales. The microcosmic and the macrocosmic. The macrocosmic is Naboo versus the Trade Federation. The microcosmic represents both "The Duel of the Fates" between Darth Maul and the two light jedi, and the internal battle within the light jedi, struggling to avoid the urge to succumb to the very darkness that plagues and consumes their enemies.

--

APPENDIX 2: Acknowledgements

Thanks go to the following people

George Lucas; for creating such an interesting mythos that we call "The Star Wars Universe"

Rajan Rajbhandari; for writing a great essay in 1994 entitled "Star Wars and Hinduism", an essay which inspired me to pursue writing a bigger essay of my own.

"Ricard" for helping with the translation of the sanskrit chants in appendix 1

Narayanan; for providing new insight on the parallel between the guru/disciple relationship and the jedi master and apprentice.

Original Source

indeed good read.

the vedic literature has a lot of logical and valid referances and solutions to many present day scenarios.

Back