Indian Railways Train Journey Discussion.

I've traveled by train quite a few times in the last few years - mainly between Mumbai and GUJ/RAJ/MP/MAHA/GOA.

By and large the trains have been on time +- 15 min. Actually few times the train has reached the destination (last) stop a bit early.

Once a train starting from Mumbai was going to depart 4 hrs late, I got a SMS well in time - so I left home 4 hrs later.

I'm not complaining - especially seeing how <s>much</s> little we pay. Few years back I would travel Mumbai-Ahmedabad (sleeper, night journey) for Rs 180. Where else would you be able to do something like that? I did Mum to Guj like 30-40 times, LOL. I would travel, to, say, Ahmedabad one night, spend the day sight seeing, and return the same evening.

Karnataka is next this winter. I'll report.

I

I'm not complaining - especially seeing how <s>much</s> little we pay.
My complain is with the maintaining the time atleast . For what we pay the conditions can be accepted and that I still partly understand Govt. point of view.

but just because we pay less does not mean going 3-4 hrs late on average is acceptable too. That is just poor efficiency from their part .

BTW trying to get into the dept of things - on this economics of this whole thing that we pay less and we should not accept much. and that Govt. already running these on heavy loss. Now I was reading recent articles where Himachal State Bus service is suffering from heavy loss.

Now There are many Deluxe and semi-Deluxe buses operating with nice leg rooms, AC, plus provide waterbottle, Vomit bags etc operating from Delhi to Shimla and some other major towns in Himachal . They are charging even less than govt. ordinary bus or close to same price. I fail to understand How come they still making profit or able to run their business while Govt. with such poor maintained ordinary bus is showing loss.

There is either big ghapla again or they have their business model all wrong.

I don't think "going 3-4 hrs late on average" is correct.

Things are def improving, I remember what it was like years ago.
e.g. My relative who has a house in Goa would regularly drive down - I would tell him he must be in the Limca Book of Records. These days, after Vande Bharat, he prefers train. Less than 7 hours from Panvel in comfort.

Traveling sleeper has been a eye-opener, for me at least. You meet so many people - then realise some of them would not be able to travel had it not been for the low train fares.

So many other factors like fog in winter. heavy rains in monsoons ; I'm amazed we have a railway system at all. It might be the 4th largest national railway - keep in mind countries like US are actually 4 to 5 times larger than India. If you don't mind I'll quote ChatGPT :
"The national railway with the most number of passenger trains is Indian Railways. As of the latest data, Indian Railways operates over 13,000 passenger trains daily, serving millions of passengers across the country. This makes it the largest railway network in terms of daily passenger train operations in the world. Indian Railways is known for its extensive network and the large volume of passengers it handles, making it a critical part of India's transportation infrastructure."

I don't think "going 3-4 hrs late on average" is correct.

Things are def improving, I remember what it was like years ago.
e.g. My relative who has a house in Goa would regularly drive down - I would tell him he must be in the Limca Book of Records. These days, after Vande Bharat, he prefers train. Less than 7 hours from Panvel in comfort.

Traveling sleeper has been a eye-opener, for me at least. You meet so many people - then realise some of them would not be able to travel had it not been for the low train fares.

So many other factors like fog in winter. heavy rains in monsoons ; I'm amazed we have a railway system at all. It might be the 4th largest national railway - keep in mind countries like US are actually 4 to 5 times larger than India. If you don't mind I'll quote ChatGPT :
"The national railway with the most number of passenger trains is Indian Railways. As of the latest data, Indian Railways operates over 13,000 passenger trains daily, serving millions of passengers across the country. This makes it the largest railway network in terms of daily passenger train operations in the world. Indian Railways is known for its extensive network and the large volume of passengers it handles, making it a critical part of India's transportation infrastructure."
according to report last year...one in every 4 train runs late and they are counting short distance trains too in that.

As for weather.... I have been on Russian- Siberian 4 day train that has to deal with heavy snow and extreme winter condition. On every station we were mostly on time.

yes things have improved for sure but they are very slow compared to what other countries are achieving at much faster pace.

Vande Bharat trains are also very slowly being introduced as only handful runs between few major cities on short distances but yes they have recently introduced 2-3 Vande Bharat trains for long distance.

Edit: my bad the sleeper class Vande Bharat not yet introduced for long distance only mid-range distsance.

Last edited:
IR has gone down the drain in the last 3-4 years, regular express trains are late most of the time nowadays, also sleeper is the new general and 3A is the new sleeper because of the ticket-less travelers.

Got on the train without ticket, did some groping , some verbal abuse to passengers with ticket, still occupied a seat, trashed the place, did some selfies hanging out of the train door , luckily not dead, came in without any money or luggage but when I got off the train I had a few wallets and few luggage.. 10/10 would recommend.

Got on the train without ticket, did some groping , some verbal abuse to passengers with ticket, still occupied a seat, trashed the place, did some selfies hanging out of the train door , luckily not dead, came in without any money or luggage but when I got off the train I had a few wallets and few luggage.. 10/10 would recommend.

You forgot about the squeaky clean toilets and the Rs.50000 bonus if the train derails and you break your bones.

Good that you had enjoyable trip, are back safe and sound.
Actually was waiting for update on this thread, I remembered commenting here about troubles traveling in rainy season to Kerala.
It was a sad tragedy, extremely draining for locals in that region.

How was your visits to beaches, if you had such.

So point is... I wanted to ask people from South-India here or any who regularly travels to those zone on trains ...Is South Indian Trains as bad as North-Indian . I mean bustling issues , cleanness issues etc.
The smell issues and cleanness issues are everywhere in trains, no matter if it is travelling to north or south, but it's little bit horrible in north related trains. Staff does clean every now and then but situation becomes terrible during mornings when everyone is busy going to the washrooms or brushing their teeth wandering all over the coaches.

Regarding random people occupying seats without relevant tickets, seems very common in north.
I've boarded few times in 2nd ac or 3rd ac coaches, there were always these people who will either enter with general tickets or without no tickets at all and simply occupy our seats. There was a day when I complained to the tc, he told them like 'just don't bother people with tickets' and left. Then the guy sitting beside me (whole berth was mine), moved to a different seat saying, 'no problem bhayya you can sleep'. I sarcastically thanked him for his sacrifice.

Good that you had enjoyable trip, are back safe and sound.
Thanks....
Actually was waiting for update on this thread, I remembered commenting here about troubles traveling in rainy season to Kerala.
It was a sad tragedy, extremely draining for locals in that region.
Yes. I feel so lucky but at same time sorry to see such a disaster.

Very major hill stations or tourist spots are awaiting disaster tbh and ticking time bomb with no proper planning and rampant corruption in allowing construction of Hotels etc.

Here in Himachal too we are usually very scared during Monsoons and pray that it is limited. Even the Villages are only increasing their floors.

How was your visits to beaches, if you had such.
will go bit ott-
The trip was amazing otherwise. Beach were amazing, Backwaters lovely . Did some kayaking too in beautiful backwaters. What an experience!

This is my first time in my life in South India and I'm amazed of the culture and food and beauty of the place and people too.

Kerala has been bit of eye opener. So many Churches, Mosques and Temples very close to each other and still being so calm. However, I found there was like some competition going on to see which religion has most temple. Mosque and church. Because they were too many on every nook and corner still happy to see the harmony.

Food is so rich with clear Arab influence in Keralean Food beside its own rich traditional local food.

People were mostly cool too. Did had some language issues but nothing major to be complaining off. My only wish was atleast bus and all could have english names mentioned too. It really helps tourist specially when your place/town is a touristy town . then why make things so difficult for others to move around without taking help from local people.

Anyways amazing place. I will go again next year .

will share some pics on the camera thread later.

Food is so rich with clear Arab influence in Keralean Food beside its own rich traditional local food.
That is because you probably started travel primarily from northern regions of Kerala which made an impression.

The moment you reach towards central to southern regions culture changes subtly. Oblivious to outsiders, even though its a very small state, local culture and dialects etc. changes if you travel few dozen kilometers.

You might've seen pvt. bus boards in Hindi in Kochi area, etc., generally lot of north Indian workers there.
In northern India, there are lot of misunderstanding about Kerala due to political propaganda, once they visit the place their view changes a lot. Have seen my friends who visit occasionally totally having drastically changed perspectives about the state after their visits.

Backwaters are generally in southern side of Kerala, so traveled a bit, good to know that.

As for trains, good to know you had better experience, but locals are suffering a lot these days, from today's news (people are fainting and collapsing in trains, translated using google transalte):

Back