Indian Version/Aussie version of Kill-a-watt power meter.

Kill-a-Watt
Well! Kill a Watt is pretty neat product. It tells you which appliances or gizmos is costing more on your pocket to run. hence saving on electricity bills.
More details here.
P3 - Kill A Watt

Only problem being it uses 110 US supply. Its useless for indian conditions.

The Search
So I started searching for it after i stumbled upon a thread by a fellow member idclev888.

http://www.techenclave.com/members-market/power-meter-like-kill-watt-watt-178098.html

First catch was to find which country uses 220/250 volt like India. Australia was the obvious choice also they have tons of DIY guys down under.
Called a friend with Geoff with an ebay link. He instantly ordered not one but two for me.

Technicality
Only problem being it uses Aussie Plug. So i made up a contraption with indian adapter and cheap surge protector. I salvaged all the leds and diodes from the Surge so as to make it pure link as possible to Appliances.

It runs on three button cell. Comes with a neat easy to understand English Manual.

It shows, Volt, Current, Power factor, Frequency and KWh. It has inbuilt real time clock, and you can set the rate of unit of Electricity at your place.

Images.
[attachment=6838:12455.attach]

[attachment=6842:12459.attach]

[attachment=6834:12451.attach]

[attachment=6839:12456.attach]

[attachment=6835:12452.attach]

[attachment=6836:12453.attach]

[attachment=6837:12454.attach]

[attachment=6840:12457.attach]

[attachment=6843:12460.attach]

[attachment=6841:12458.attach]

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 157
  • watt.jpg
    watt.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 175
  • kwh.jpg
    kwh.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Voltage.jpg
    Voltage.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 135
  • parcel1.jpg
    parcel1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 141
  • parcel.jpg
    parcel.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 400
i must say uploading images here is lot of pain.

PS to MOD: can you not make it easy like we have in our automobile forum.

zino..

load the pics on a host like imagebam and then just paste the bbcode

tht would be easier for u as well as the viewers

nice product btw...sad tht something like this isnt available locally

i have two. But its on hold for the thread starter idclev888. he was the reason i had interest into this product. So if he backs out will send you.

post the ebay link man. Will help other prospective buyers.

Also let us know ah=bout your findings. How much are the common devices consuming ? Like your netbook, your tv, pc...

Is that type of plug top available, or the surge protector which the OP is using. That is the only bummer here.

i made that plug by soldering the power cable that I had to that cheap surge protector.

ebay link is on the WTB post given in this thread. (1st post)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Many people have PMed me how this can save electricity. Well! the answer is as such this does not just by plugging it in.

It tell you which equipment has poor power factor and needs replacement with a better one. or you can use that equipment least.

however there is also a device which claims that. i have ordered that too. will review it in coming week.

Sorry to post on an old thread but is there anything like this available in India now?

If so can someone please post a link....

Back