India's Ruling Coalition Nominates Pratibha Patil for President

Pratibha Devisingh Patil, governor of India's western state of Rajasthan, was unexpectedly chosen as the Congress party-led ruling federal coalition's nominee to contest the presidential elections to be held on July 19.

The candidature of Patil, 72 was announced by chairwoman of the United Progressive Alliance coalition and party president, Sonia Gandhi, in New Delhi today.

``It's a matter of pride and a historic moment'' in the 60th year of the country's independence that the nominee for the president's post is a woman, Gandhi said. If elected, Patil will be the first woman to hold office as India's president.

India's elected lawmakers from the states and both houses of the federal parliament will vote to choose the successor of President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, whose five-year term ends on July 24. The president is the head of state and supreme commander of the armed forces. Kalam, the 75-year-old architect of India's missile program, is not likely to seek re-election.

Patil's choice as candidate for election to the top constitutional office comes as a surprise after local media speculation centered around the names of her better known and senior Congress party colleagues such as External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Power Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and Home Minister Shivraj Patil.

Patil's candidature was decided at a meeting between leaders of the Congress-led alliance and communist parties, which support Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's coalition government. The ruling coalition allies, the communists and the Bahujan Samaj Party, which has offered support for the Congress party's nominee, control a majority in the electoral college.

Vice President Bhairon Singh Shekhawat, 83, who also hails from Rajasthan, may enter the fray as an independent candidate backed by the Bharatiya Janata Party-led opposition grouping, the National Democratic Alliance.

The counting of votes in the poll to pick the country's 12th president will take place on July 21, the Election Commission of India announced yesterday.

If political parties had any decency left, they should have requested the present president to continue for one more term. They just want someone to say yes to whatever bills they pass in the parliament.

random2 said:
If political parties had any decency left, they should have requested the present president to continue for one more term. They just want someone to say yes to whatever bills they pass in the parliament.

^ AGREE, he is handsome too :hap2:
He can easily stand against Mr. Pak General.
General vs Nuke Scientist. WOW

BTW, I am not against FEMALE PRESIDENT, but she looks 'soft' like 'house wife' :hap5:
She can't stand against Mr. Pak General :(

gosh, don't judge anyone by their looks :S ....

She is a good candidate....much better than shivraj patil or somnath chatterjee and the likes....

shrey said:
gosh, don't judge anyone by their looks :S ....
She is a good candidate....much better than shivraj patil or somnath chatterjee and the likes....

how can you say that ?? She will still do EXACTLY what that Italian says......

how can you say that ?? She will still do EXACTLY what that Italian says......

^^she is indian as well :) i think you should remember that there are indians who are politicians in the US and UK (citizens of course) and i don't think people there call them The "indian", and if they did indians would go "oh ! thats a racist comment" and all the hooplah, so give it a break ....... she was elected democratically, digest it...

Kalam was great, irreplaceable, unfortunately he isn't sticking around longer. so

Whichever candidate emerges from the current lot of politicians will listen to their party.Doesn't really matter who it is then, there is no non politician-candidate like kalam. so out of all the speculated candidates (sans all the narayanamurthi BS , he never had a change, media hype :p ) she is better thats all i meant :)

shrey said:
^^she is indian as well :) i think you should remember that there are indians who are politicians in the US and UK (citizens of course) and i don't think people there call them The "indian", and if they did indians would go "oh ! thats a racist comment" and all the hooplah, so give it a break ....... she was elected democratically, digest it...
Name any one NRI with the same political power and influence(?) as of Queen Sonia. Even USA, the baddest pimp of democracy, doesn't allow foreigners to hold President's office.

Why do we feel so helpless before the white skin?

^^ guess who voted her to power :p this is starting to get OT :p

Bottom line : Kalam said the current choice was fantastic...i think we can take his word...he doesn't exclamate often...

End of story :)

Back