Infected with Virus. Help needed

cyrux

Adept
It all started when i couldn't view Hidden files on my system. Looked like a small issue to me and thought a simple restart would fix it. Restarted the system and found the blank desktop. Used Ctrl+Alt+Del to launch a new task , explorer.exe
Went to the folder options and tried again , but in vain. Googled for this problem and tried the regedit trick. Didn't work.
Stated an AVG scan which scanned three of my drives. C,D,E and by the time it was scanning the final drive F i seem to run out of space on my primary drive C. This usually happens every time when i do a full system scan, some file in the temp folder (which is hidden) gets created and its size keeps increasing until the scan is over. Had to stop the scan and moved over to Ad-Aware and did a full scan. 42 infections were found.
I then tried to open Spybot S&D ,i was sure that some virus had crept in, the application launched the Open with dialog box. I tried to restart system in safe mode and do a system scan but it gave the same Open with Dialog box in the Safe mode as well. Restarted back normally and i get this error saying , could not open rundll.exe

Now, i am scanning my system with spybot S&D (after the open with dialog box appeared , i browsed and located the installation folder and clicked on the .exe file which opened the app) and no infection has been found.

Now, what do I do ?I don't have a system check point.
I am afraid of running AVG again , because it will fill my C:with the temporary file that would get created and since its hidden i cannot delete it manually.
I can't even install new applications.

Is there a way out of this , except the formatting way ?

do a disk cleanup (start/progs/accessories/sys tools)
this will clear up temp files...
so if the avg "expanding" file is in emp, it will be deleted

then go to safe mode with networking
download and install avira antivir free
do full scan in safe mode itself

shud help..

stellarhopper said:
do a disk cleanup (start/progs/accessories/sys tools)
this will clear up temp files...
so if the avg "expanding" file is in emp, it will be deleted
Not actually. This file is in Application Data >Avg >...
So it doesn't get deleted
then go to safe mode with networking
download and install avira antivir free
do full scan in safe mode itself
shud help..

Like i said, i am unable to do new installations, it pops up the open with dialog box. Any work around to do new installations ?

After few hours of trying and reading across various guides over the net, i was finally able to solve this problem

Things that did the trick

A tool called RRT

A script/tool named SDFix

cyrux said:
After few hours of trying and reading across various guides over the net, i was finally able to solve this problem
Things that did the trick
A tool called RRT
A script/tool named SDFix

i think it wud be better if u do a backup of ur system, format and reinstall the OS just to make sure...

Back