Info needed on SBI - Assistant Manager (Systems) post

bhaskarvyas001

Disciple
Hi All,

There are two reasons for opening up this thread,
1. To share the good news that I have cleared SBI recruitment process and have been selected for the Post of Asst. Manager (Systems). :D
I need to join there next month.

2. This is very important and need all to help me out.. :S
Currently, I am working in an IT company and have about 3 years of experience.
a) So, is it advisable for me to leave the IT industry and move to SBI ?
The areas I need feedback on are like salary, career growth, kind of work, peace of mind, stability and opportunities.
b) Also, will it be possible for me to make a come back to IT after like working for few years in SBI if I don't feel comfortable there?

The conclusion of entire stuff is I don't want to regret later for the choice I make now coz currently am doing pretty good with my career and am satisfied. Just want to know what would be a better choice for later stage of my life like after I get married and have kids and all :p

Looking forward to all your valuable inputs...
Plz guys pour in your generous comments... :(

Congrats for clearing the whole process.....In my view there`s nothing better than Government job in terms if you want peace of Mind.

I have many frnds and colleagues who are working for bank as IT Manager be it with PNB or SBI.

The growth Is comparable with what you are getting in MNC`s..

And at any point of time You can leave Government sector and join back to IT companies ,but believe me once you join its very difficult to leave.

In my point of view its much better to join SBI rather than working for an IT company who may pay you a little extra But the end of the day would take double the work from you.

BTW Did you gave the SBI PO (rural ) examination..???

If the location, remuneration, job profile is satisfactory -- why not..? You get a government job and SBI is a good brand. Doubt you will stunt your avenues for future movement if you choose to do so. Should not be an issue, organizations welcome a 360 degree approach.

Congrats on your new job. I can't say about how things are now, but one of my seniors in office had worked in SBI till 6 years back, and he said that in those days atleast the working was haphazard. In the sense, since SBI was new to this entire IT thing, and were finding their way, there was no real process that was being followed. That said though, the work conditions were great, and the usual benefits of working in a government company - and one of the biggest at that - were there.

SoulFire said:
whats the salary package like , out of curiosity :p or a range perhaps ?
I am not sure but I think the DA would be twice the basic as I heard the same from someone (Can someone please confirm it??).

If thats the case then it will be around 35-40k including different benefits (However the basic is Rs. 14500).

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

m.khurana said:
BTW Did you gave the SBI PO (rural ) examination..???

Thanks mate, well no i did not give SBI PO(rural). There had been an opening for this position sometime back last year in January. I had applied then. Its over an year and this recruitment process is still continuing.. LOL...

agantuk said:
Congrats on your new job. I can't say about how things are now, but one of my seniors in office had worked in SBI till 6 years back, and he said that in those days atleast the working was haphazard. In the sense, since SBI was new to this entire IT thing, and were finding their way, there was no real process that was being followed. That said though, the work conditions were great, and the usual benefits of working in a government company - and one of the biggest at that - were there.
If that is still the case, that they are looking to streamline things, then it would be a really good learning experience and exposure.

@ALL : Its true that in IT one can get good salary hikes provided he keeps switching jobs very year or two.
But with that amount of money they also take away your social and private life. You are made to work day/nite fixing stupid bugs.
And to top it all, even after giving your 101% when something like 'Recession' comes, they will not even give a second thought before laying you off.
Things may seem/look lucrative in a short term view but considering a long term scenario one can give a thought to joining SBI.
I am still under discussion with my friends and some uncles that are in SBI.
Will keep you guys posted.

And till then please let me know if you have any other details to share.

ALso, did any one from TE appear for this post and is selected??

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Renegade said:
If that is still the case, that they are looking to streamline things, then it would be a really good learning experience and exposure.
Ya, thats right cause banks are under major changes in respect to IT. They have so many projects aligned.
But I had a discussion about it with a senior and he said that banks generally outsource their IT work to other firms. Its cheaper for them this way and can also escape the pain of handling entire software development stuff. So at this post in SBI my role would be to prepare the project plan and streamline the process of outsourcing the projects. Majorly kind of managerial role. I wonder if I would have to ever do coding there. Does any one has any idea in this regard please let us know!!

Back