PC Peripherals Inputs for new PC Config

meridien

Disciple
Hi, I am putting together a new PC and would appreciate your inputs. Any help on where to buy and assemble in Mumbai will help too.

1. Q: What is your budget?
~75K
2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
HP Pavillion Dual Core
3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
a. Monitor - Dell 2409
b. Speakers – AudioEngine A2
c. Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse
4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
a. Proc: i7 920
b. Mobo: DFI LP-UT X58-T3EH8 – prefer dual Gig ethernet
c. Cooling: CM Hyper 212 Plus
d. RAM: OCZ Platinum 6GB (3x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3
e. Sapphire HD 4670 512MB or 1GB DDR3
f. HDD: WD 1.5TB
g. Cabinet: CoolerMaster or Lian Li – Mid Tower
h. SMPS: Corsair TX 850W
i. BD Drive x 1
j. DVD RW Drive x 1
k. Multi Card Reader on front panel
5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
a. Upgrade after for 2/3 years
6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
a. Mumbai
7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
a. No
8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
a. Video Editing & Encoding
b. Browsing
c. Image Processing
d. Multitasking
e. Watching HD movies
9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
a. NA
10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
a. NA
11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
1. 1920 x 1080
12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
. Don’t know yet
13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7

Thanks Much!

Intel Core i7 920 - 14.5k

Gigabyte EX58-UD5 - 16.1k

Corsair TR3X2G-1600 XMS3 C9 6GB Kit - 8.6k

Corsair TX 750 - 7.8k

Sapphire HD4670 1GB GDDR5 - 4.6k

CM Hyper 212+ - 2.2k

Samsung / LG DVD Writer - 1.1k

LanCool DragonLord PC-K62 - 6.9k

Seagate 1.5 TB 7200.12 - 6.5k

Total - 68.3k

Thanks Anubis.

How does the i5 compare to the i7 - I know the i5 doesnt support hyperthreading... Are you happy with your sys performance?

Do I really need the Sapphire HD5850 for HD movies? I will not be using this setup for gaming.

meridien said:
Thanks Anubis.

How does the i5 compare to the i7 - I know the i5 doesnt support hyperthreading... Are you happy with your sys performance?

Do I really need the Sapphire HD5850 for HD movies? I will not be using this setup for gaming.

I didn't see it first

Have corrected it

My bad . Very sorry

i5 performs 80-85% of i7 920 but since you do Video encoding and editing , i7 920 will be better for you

I am more than happy with Core i5 750

Actually for me , my processor changes within 6-8 months of usage

So any processor worth upgrading in 10k range is mine

I don't really need i7 920 ( partly becoz it 15k and its mobo costs 14k with 3gb ram - 5k would increase my cost for my pc . I would rather buy a 10k processor and change it with every new cpu in 6-8 months )

Thanks Anubis.

the performance difference isn't much at all, since only a few apps are fully threaded

not at all..go for a GT240 or HD4670....

meridien said:
Thanks Anubis.

I corrected it to ATI 4670 and answered your query a while ago

Why post the same questions again ?

Thanks, some issue with my login caused the double post.
My apologies and thanks for your inputs.

Any suggestions on ideal stores in lamington road that stock these components and assemble the system, thanks.

Hi, I have nearly finalised on the following config based on available components from vendors. Any inputs or suggestions to better this.
Thanks!

Cooler Master RC 690 Mid Tower Computer Case or CM690 II
GA-EX58-UD5 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 920 Processor
Cooler Master Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP CPU Cooler
Tagan Pipe Rock BZ900 900W Modular Power Supply
OCZ Gold Edition 3x2GB DDR3 1600MHz
Sapphire HD4670 1GB GDDR5 or GT240 Graphics card
Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Hard Drive
Sony BDU-X10S Blu-Ray Drive or LG GGC-H20L
Samsung SATA SH-S223F DVD Writer
Sony MRW620A2 Internal Card Reader
Asus Xonar DX 7.1 Channel Sound Card

do you actually need a 900w power supply for this rig. i mean yes you can buy it if you are thinking of going for some crossfire stuff but this ain't even your gaming rig so why do you need such a high wattage power supply

Get the Corsair HX850W @ 10.3k instead of Tagan here..

and wait for the HD5670 1GB and grab it for 6-6.5k when it launches(soon in India)

Hi All, thanks for your inputs

@Rockfella - My main needs are quick SD/HD Encoding, Editing, Image processing, with some level of multitasking. Could you suggest an equivalent multi-proc config that will suit - Thanks!

I will go with the multiple suggestions for a lower rated PSU.

@OP:

Please do not take this in a negative manner. Your requirements are for video encoding and watching movies. You do not need a gaming system. The equipment you are purchasing are for a gaming rig. You really need that...? For example the OEM HSF, a 900W PSU, an OC'able motherboard..? I would suggest, to tone down the choice of equipment -- in terms of power (not quality), and since your budget is good, invest the rest in a bigger screen. Say a 32" or something. Get really nice speakers, though the Xonar sound card suggested is good.

If you are not too much into gaming and video encoding and watching movies are your primary usage then Nvidia gfx card are better suited than ATI, because of nvidia's support of CUDA 2 and better DXVA support. Even the best ATI card available in market will not be able to play L5.1 AVC movies with DXVA.

Thanks for your inputs, this is why this board rocks!
Here is a revised config - Im sticking with the same Mobo since I like the feature set and need the dual GigLAN support. Do suggest if there are alternatives that will have an upgrade path.

Cooler Master RC 690 Mid Tower Computer Case
GA-EX58-UD5 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 920 Processor
Cooler Master Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP CPU Cooler
Corsair TX750
Corsair TR3X2G-1600 XMS3 C9 6GB
GT250 Graphics card
Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Hard Drive
Sony BDU-X10S Blu-Ray Drive or LG GGC-H20L
Samsung SATA SH-S223F DVD Writer
Sony MRW620A2 Internal Card Reader
Asus Xonar DX 7.1 Channel Sound Card

I need help with the best graphics card for video encoding and editing with HD output - need DVI-D and HDMI.

All your help appreciated!

Back