Inspiron 15R SE and 17R SE for gaming

• What's your Budget?
Nothing very specific, 80k or so max, but its flexible

• What will be your primary usage for the notebook be?
Gaming, movies with a bit of web browsing and some light development

• What size and weight considerations do you have?
Want a screen resolution better than 1366*768, weight doesnt matter

• Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest?
Dell only since I want the 3 years onsite Complete cover warranty

• Any other considerations?
Matte screen is preferable, but can be compromised on in favour of other parameters

The way I see it, it comes down to

15R SE (55k+9k)
New! Inspiron 15R Special Edition Laptop Details | Dell India v540452in8
FHD, antiglare, ATI7730M,Intel® Core™ i5-3210M

17R SE (63k+9k)
Inspiron 17R Special Edition Laptop Details | Dell India
900p, glossy (truelife), 650M,Intel® Core™ i5-3210M

And, overbudget, but still in consideration
17R SE (94k+9k)
FHD,glossy(truelife),650M Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM

Main doubts:
how does 7730M with FHD perform and how much better is 650M with 900p?

is the i5 a bottleneck considering its a dual core?

If I run a FHD screen at 1366*768, is there any distortion considering that its not at native resolution, but it is at the same aspect ratio?
Followon: If it doesnt result in a loss of quality as compared to a native 1366*768 screen, does the 15RSE make the most sense?

If anyone has any gaming benchmarks at these resolutions, would appreciate them?
Also, how is ordering done with Dell(assuming I order direct from Dell)? Has anyone posted an experience?

how does 7730M with FHD perform and how much better is 650M with 900p?

650M is almost 25 percent faster than 7730M.

is the i5 a bottleneck considering its a dual core?

No way.

If I run a FHD screen at 1366*768, is there any distortion considering that its not at native resolution, but it is at the same aspect ratio?
Followon: If it doesnt result in a loss of quality as compared to a native 1366*768 screen, does the 15RSE make the most sense?

I can't see any distortion, and there's no reason logically to cause any distortion because you're squeezing, not expanding. And, there's no point of running 1366*768 on 1080p screen.

If anyone has any gaming benchmarks at these resolutions, would appreciate them?
Also, how is ordering done with Dell(assuming I order direct from Dell)? Has anyone posted an experience?

Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Special Edition Laptop Thread

LCD's give best quality when they are run at native resolution. If you will run at lower, there will be slight distortion.
A lot of people are complaining about high temps. I would recommend you to go with 15r SE if you want longevity
7730M is slower than 650M but not sluggish by any means. The real charm of 650M is with GDDR5 not GDDR3 memory(which samsung gives)
Inspiron comes with higher wattage adapter so there won't be a chance of throttling due to power consumption.
Also I think(do confirm) proc in inspiron is 3612QM which is a 35watt proc hence, will produce less heat

650M is almost 25 percent faster than 7730M.

No way.

I can't see any distortion, and there's no reason logically to cause any distortion because you're squeezing, not expanding. And, there's no point of running 1366*768 on 1080p screen.

Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Special Edition Laptop Thread

Mainly wanted the option of running at lower resolution incase the 7730M is insufficient for 1080p

And, I hope then that the 650M is sufficient for running the 900p screen at a decent framerate

- - - Updated - - -

LCD's give best quality when they are run at native resolution. If you will run at lower, there will be slight distortion.
A lot of people are complaining about high temps. I would recommend you to go with 15r SE if you want longevity
Going with 3 year CC, will not keep it for more than that, probably sell it off in 2-2.5 years
7730M is slower than 650M but not sluggish by any means. The real charm of 650M is with GDDR5 not GDDR3 memory(which samsung gives)
Yea, Dell is giving GDDR5 memory
Inspiron comes with higher wattage adapter so there won't be a chance of throttling due to power consumption.
Also I think(do confirm) proc in inspiron is 3612QM which is a 35watt proc hence, will produce less heat
In some configs they have 3612QM, but the 1080p version has the i5 2310M

Mainly wanted the option of running at lower resolution incase the 7730M is insufficient for 1080p

And, I hope then that the 650M is sufficient for running the 900p screen at a decent framerate

In some configs they have 3612QM, but the 1080p version has the i5 2310M

7730 is even fine for 1080p if you don't crank up the eye candies.

And i5 will be more than enough for gaming, unless you're gonna do some real compute/multi threaded tasks.

So, 17R SE it is, ( 900p, glossy (truelife), 650M,Intel® Core™ i5-3210M,4GB,1TB )

The account number Dell has given to deposit money into is not in Dell's name

Any idea why? They say they are ordering through a "channel partner"

Back