PC Peripherals install hdd more than 137gb and bios support

smsrohit

Disciple
how do i find out whether my bios has 48-bit LBA support for HDD more than 137GB.
What things to be taken care of while installing that big disk on windows
i got windows Xp and mE both

thanks dude,
but i am suprised that intel has no way to tell , that the bios which is installed has the 48-bit LBA support or not.
So i guess i have to go through that unnecessary bios update, even though i might not need it

smsrohit said:
thanks dude,
but i am suprised that intel has no way to tell , that the bios which is installed has the 48-bit LBA support or not.
So i guess i have to go through that unnecessary bios update, even though i might not need it

The Hitachi link seems to indicate it is not so much a BIOS problem as an OS one. I know untill I had XP with SP1 I could not get XP to recognise a 160GB drive fully. I think there are options for large drives which have to be switched on in some BIOS - check your MoBo manual. Which MoBo are you using ?

You need to install XP with SP2 (or SP1) off a slipstreamed CD to get the drive usable over 137GB. Or you can attach the drive to a system which already has XP + SP2 installed and then partition and format the drive with XP's Disk Management.

If you want to do a quick check if the large drive will not have problems boot off the XP CD and go into Recovery Console and run "diskpart" this gives the sizes of the drives attached. Diskpart is a command prompt based Drive partitioning and formating utility of XP.

I think it will be difficult to have ME run off such large drives - read the Hitachi page I think they have mentioned something on this OS. Also in XP you may have to use NTFS file system for such large drives - this will make the partition unreadable by WinME unless you run the freeware program READNTFS.EXE

Back