Install windows ON External HDD

cooler2005

Disciple
Hi Guys!

Need to have some discussion/guidance on this topic.

GOAL: To have my WD MyPassport External HDD act as a Window OS Portable.

I own a Asus EEE PC900 Netbook older generation model which comes with Xandros Linux Version and has a capacity of ...... hold your breath....20GB ONLY! Initially it was Ok as I used it only to check my mails and stuff but now I need it to act as a standalone device with ATLEAST enough disk space for which I want my external HDD to come to rescue.

I own a WD MyPassport 320GB External HDD and I want to install windows XP/7 on it and use it as a portable Windows OS for my Netbook.

Now, there are a couple of things in my mind....

(1) Is this even possible? (I know it is, but not sure if my HDD can pull it off).

(2) After installation, how would the OS take up RAM for itself and the system? Would it effect the overall running speed? The HDD is 5400RPM (I'm not too sure about it).

Also, if everything is possible, WHAT is the procedure to install windows on an external HDD?

Waiting for some constructive feedback...

vmware is available on linux as well ... btw why don't you keep linux as main OS and store data on external hdd (move your linux user home directory there)

U need to do lots of tweaking in windows to work from portable hdd .... But Windows PE works fine if you are ok with limited predefi ed portable apps

If you are OK with waiting, then look forward to the Windows on the GO feature which is expected to come with Windows 8. The beta should be released somewhere around Feb/March, so test it with that first.

Installing 7 on a HDD is too difficult IMO, unless you have an esata port on both the hdd and the laptop.

Windows to Go is awesome. Yes you can create live USB boot now with both Windows and Linux distros, but with nowhere near the ease and functionality.

Installing windows 7 on external HDD will require a lot of customizaiton check MSFN for that.

Windows 8 USB on the GO will be the best bet but for that you have to wait for public beta which is due in march I guess.

Actually, it can be done with the Developer Preview version too which is out already, but i find support for older machines poor.

Uhh...guys!

The discussion is going in a different way here
<

The objective is to install WINDOWS on the external HDD. I agree that Windows on the Go and Linux are best suited options but right now I can't use any of them for reason:

(1) Windows on the Go : Not out yet!

(2) Linux : Need my softwares to run on it which does not come on Linux.

I've seen some videos on youtube that easily install windows on the external HDD but not sure of they are of any help. Like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUV5qhB5ErY

Hi Archat,

I am aware that WIndows ca be installed. What I need to understand is,

"(2) After installation, how would the OS take up RAM for itself and the system? Would it effect the overall running speed? The HDD is 5400RPM (I'm not too sure about it)."

And, the procedure.
<

^^ You can actually install XP on the USB disk and run it from there. Google for Windows XP portable.

Back