Linux Installed Ubuntu 9.04 .... Wireless LAN Detected but Internet Not Working

sgx100

Adept
Hi,

Yesterday I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on Dell Inspiron 1420 alongside Windows 7 RTM.
Now its a dual boot with Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

After I ran Ubuntu first the restricted drivers setting came up for the broadcom driver, which got activated after a restart.

The wireless network was detected after a restart but even after that Im unable to surf internet on my laptop.

The system is able to ping the default gateway of the wireless router but is unable to connect any internet sites.

Any help ppl.....Its driving me crazy...Already spent more than 10 hours with this without much success.

Thanks
SGX100

is DNS lookup happening?

Try pinging some site like google.com if the dns lookup is failing then the ip resolution will not happen. If net is fine the direct ping to ip address should work, like 74.125.45.10 which is one of google search ip address

archish said:
is DNS lookup happening?

Try pinging some site like google.com if the dns lookup is failing then the ip resolution will not happen. If net is fine the direct ping to ip address should work, like 74.125.45.10 which is one of google search ip address

hi archich,

i tried pinging
it failed
it can only ping local address
whr do we go from here mate ?

ed.hardy said:
Who is ur ISP? Paste wlan0 from ifconfig?

Are your able to connect through win7?

hi ed,

this is the result from theterminal window

sgx100@sgx100-laptop:~$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:21:70:fe:b1:04
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:17

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1f:e1:c4:ce:7d
inet6 addr: fe80::21f:e1ff:fec4:ce7d/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:580
TX packets:0 errors:6 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:22 (22.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:17 Base address:0xc000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:240 (240.0 B) TX bytes:240 (240.0 B)

And im posting this msg form win 7 ... absolutely no probs in win7

what do u think is the problem with ubuntu

Could be the problem with your default network device.

Is it eth0 or eth1?

Your results are showing both are UP.

See the contents of "/etc/network/interfaces"

^^In most cases eth0 will be the primary ethernet interface, and wireless network interfaces will begin with ath0 or wlan0.

But dude where is wlan0? If I understand correctly you are able to connect through to your wifi router but unable to browse? Am I right?

ed.hardy said:
^^In most cases eth0 will be the primary ethernet interface, and wireless network interfaces will begin with ath0 or wlan0.

But dude where is wlan0? If I understand correctly you are able to connect through to your wifi router but unable to browse? Am I right?

hi ed hardy,

im making this post from Ubuntu 9.04 :clap:
I had some errors in putting DNS
Now its up:clap: and working
Thanks so much for help .... You really made me hold on to my nerves :)

Can anyone please help a n00b in ubuntu.. how do you set up a VPN connection for the internet.. There is no add button.. i tried searching a lot.. but all in vain.. :(

depending on your exact ubuntu version etc, (im assuming latest 9.04) you should install "network-manager-pptp" or "network-manager-openvpn" etc (search "network-manager" in synaptic package manager). usually its the PPTP plugin.

then in the networking icon in your system tray there should be an "edit connections" where there will be a VPN tab with an add button there you enter your VPN details as provided by your Univ... (IIRC you are studying in UK so your college computer/IT dept. should also be able to provide support hopefully :))

Back