User Guides Installing Fedora Core 5 / How to install linux on VMWare Server

INSTALLING LINUX GUIDE
INSTALLING LINUX ON VMWARE GUIDE

Guys , i have seen lots of enthusiasm regarding Linux. People have lots of queries on how to install Linux, partition etc. So here is a pictorial walkthrough with screenshots of the whole FC 5 installation process. This is strictly a installation guide , though i was doing a review but due to lack of time and experience on how to review Linux as a OS i am posting the installation process.

This is also a guide on how to install linux on VMWare Server. As this guide has been made while installing Linux on VMWare Server. If you have enough RAM then installing Linux on VMWare and listening your favourite music on Windows makes sense. Also if you screw up while installation you simply dont have to fear.

Softwares:

VMWare Server :Download VMware Server

Fedora Core 5 :Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat

Before even going on to First step please read Step 6 and come back here.

So lets begin. Get a cup of Coffee or a can of Pepsi. Select your favourite songs on Windows if you are installing on VMWare, else bring your SE Wxxx/IPod and sit comfortably. Also bring out your trusted Mouse , u dont want to screw up right.

I am just kidding.

Welcome to Linux.

Step 1: Fedora Boot Screen

This is the Fedora Boot screen which gives you choices to install in Text or Graphical Mode. Also if you get into booting issues later then Rescue Mode access is also through this bootable CD/DVD.

Step 2: Selected Graphical Installation Method

Here after selecting Graphical Installation Method you get a screen where you can check for Media Errors. This is a very good facility which lets you check for data corruption. If it fails here then it probably your installation will also fail.
You can select Skip also if you know the media is good, because it take an awful lot of time to check the 4 CDs or a DVD.

Step 3: First Graphical Installation Screen

This is the First Graphical Installation Screen. You can read the release notes during the time when actual installation begins.

Step 4: Language Selection Menu

This is the language selection Menu. Select English and go ahead or if comfortable in any other language select that.

Step 5: Keyboard Layout

Most probably if you purchased your keyboard in India it will be US English. Else select as per your hardware.

Step 6: Partitioning 1

Next it asks for Partitioning Layout. Here begins the scary part for most , as they dont want to touch/lose their Windows Partitions. Best method for this is to delete a partition of about > 4GB ( which depends on RAM ) from Windows. Preferably delete the last drive/partition from you Windows system. Delete it so that you get a Free space. Deleting the last partition is safe because you know where to find it while partitioning. So simply rearrange your data and delete a partition of > 4GB.

Normally Linux Installation Requires around 4GB as it includes all the packages. Now your swap is normally kept between 1.5 to 2 times your RAM. So according to your RAM adjust the free space you are freeing up from windows.

Space : 4GB + 2 x RAM.

Step 7 : Partitioning 2

Now there are 4 options.

a: Remove all partitions on selected drive and create default layout : This will delete all partitions and make a default linux partitioning structure spanning your whole selected Hard Drive.

b: Remove all Linux partitions on selected drive and create default layout : This will delete all Linux partitions and make a default linux partitioning structure spanning your whole selected Hard Drive.

c: Use free space on selected drive and make default structure: This will use free space to make a default linux parition structure. This is a good option if you have good enough space, but it can screw your swap space, so choose the last and the best option.

d: Create Custom Layout: This is where we get to create out own custom partitioning layout.

Step 8: Partitioning 3

This is where you select your Hard Drive after selecting Custom Partitioning. I have only one harddrive so it is auto selected and disabled. If you have 2 or more harddrives then you will get your options.

P.S. I have installed linux on VMWare. For it i allotted a 5GB disk space to VMWare.

Step 9: Partitioning 4

You can see the free space there. All other windows partitions will also be shown but your space will be shown as free so dont worry.
Click on New and proceed to next step.

Step 10: Partitioning 5

This is a bit detailed partitioning scheme i am showing. As this guide is going to have a sequel on how to run your server from Linux on VMWare with Windows host.

If you want a simpler method here it is
1: / = 4000 MB
2: swap = 1.5 to 2 x your RAM.

On how to select those you can see the following steps. Please make only 2 partitions as listed about.

For others here is a bit detailed partitioning scheme with pics.
1 : Select

Mount Point as "/"
Filesystem as ext3
Size : 2000 MB ( See the fill all space upto column)

2 : Select
Mount Point as "/usr"
Filesystem as ext3
Size : 2500 MB ( See the fill all space upto column)

3 : Select
Filesystem as SWAP
Size : 1.5 to 2 x RAM

You will find swap in Filesystem Type as shown.

Enter the swap space as shown.
1.5 to 2 x RAM.

Step 11: Boot Loader Options

Select the Boot Loader Options.
You want a boot loader otherwise booting into Linux again will be a small problem.
Select default as the OS which you want your system to boot into bydefault.
You can add a boot loader password so that no one can change boot options/kernel/initrd image or boot into single user mode(which essentially means that the system is not yours now).
Click on Next.

Step 12: Network Configuration

Here you can select your Network Configuration Settings.
Add your IP for Tata Indicom/BSNL etc if you have static IP or else leave it pretty much unchanged.
Also you can set a hostname manually if you want.

Step 13:Time Zone

Click on your Time Zone. For India it essentially means Calcutta/Kolkata.

Step 14:Root Password

Enter your root password twice.

root@linux = Administrator@windows

Step 15: Select Packages

Select the Packages/Softwares you want to install. To have a better idea of the packages that come with linux select Customize now as shown in the pic.

Step 16: Selecting Packages

Here you can see different packages and select as per your needs. Choose the Desktop environments in Desktops. You will have to leave at least one selected there to have a working desktop, otherwise you will get a command line shell.

Step 17: Checking Dependencies

Click next and let anaconda(installer) check for dependencies.

Step 18 : Final Step

Final step. You can choose to go back from here, but once you click on Next the steps become irreversible.

Step 19 : Installation

Sit back and enjoy.
Installation takes from 10mins to 40min depending on your pakage selection.
Time shown is as accurate as the one on Windows :p

Step 20 : Game Over

Click on Reboot to be greeted by GRUB.
Also take out the CD/DVD.

Case 21: GRUB Boot Screen

GRUB Boot Screen where you get the choice to boot into any one of the installed systems.

Case 22:

Oops Installing Finished on 21. :p

P.S. This guide is meant for a normal/newbie installation. There can be a hundred different partition schemes and also you can make a memdrive to run your linux from RAM. So this is just a guide and not a Rule on how to install Linux. You can safely make some experiments later once you are comfortable with Linux.

Whoa!!:O

Must have taken a lot of time and effort pal- Great effort!!:hap2:

Though i understand zilch about OSes, even Windows:ashamed: - i think i can learn something good from this!!:eek:hyeah:

Will take my mind of H/W and my upset upgrade plans while i drool at my downgrades!!:rofl:

installing fc4 was such a pain..2 gb darn... and then bloody net didnt work so couldnt install any updates etc etc... so was stuck.. sheesh...

great guide though..... def makes the installation procedure easier... nice one !!

josh ji reps coming your way...soon ill b migrating to linux becoz i m tired of updating windows and have toworry abt wgz all the time....was waiting for pictorial screens........thksagain..if in futurei find and probs ill buzz u.....

One question though Josh why did u give /usr some space (about 2.5 GB) while u haven't told whether u're doing tht on a primary partition or secondary. Also why didn't u use /home as tht changes more often (increases) rather than /usr . Just my 2 paise otherwise a good guide.

shirish said:
One question though Josh why did u give /usr some space (about 2.5 GB) while u haven't told whether u're doing tht on a primary partition or secondary. Also why didn't u use /home as tht changes more often (increases) rather than /usr . Just my 2 paise otherwise a good guide.

/usr is where all installed apps are stored. So 2.5 GB is safe limit. Primary partitions or extended wont make any difference.
/home changes more if u use Linux as a desktop OS. I was writing this guide as a set of tutorials as to run Linux server@home.

i would suggest for creating / and /home.. also the following table assumes u install as many as utils or apps through yum. u can go for everything too, with periodic upgradation through yum..

for a typical fc5 system, u should put 10 GB for / and depending upon no. of users to the system, put 5-15GB per user for /home..

plus, always create fat32 partitions for windows, load them to linux [i.e. u can access them from windows and linux:: put songs, documents, movies and stuff]: and enjoy dual boot configured pc... play games u want on windows, but listen to amarok [best mp3 player] on linux.

plus, u can use chery OS (a software) to load macintosh (panther or tiger OS) on yours.. that way u get all the 3.. :D

I dont think a pretty well loaded FC 6 system needs more than 6GB. Regarding data storing you can always make different partitions for them and mount them.

Also no need to create Fat32 . Use yum and install ntfs driver. You can have read support easily.

Back