Installing ubuntu on lappy

McAgnel

Disciple
Guys,

My lappy has XP with just a single drive (C). I wish to install ubuntu. Now, how do I install ubuntu without data loss. :D. I don't want to use any windows based partition manager as well. Lemme know. TIA.

scarsinme said:
Guys,

My lappy has XP with just a single drive (C). I wish to install ubuntu. Now, how do I install ubuntu without data loss. :D. I don't want to use any windows based partition manager as well. Lemme know. TIA.

Whats the size of your HDD?? You will need atleast 8GB HDD space to enjoy the different packages and games from Ubuntu!!

Anyways, what you need to do is resize the single partition you have i.e. C drive using Paragon Partition Manager or Partition magic or any such similar software. The new free-size may later be used for installing ubuntu's setup into swap, / and /usr

TFYR.

I already said, i don't want to use any windows based tool for partitioning.

I have about 13 gb left in a 80 Gb hard disk. :D

as it seems u have just one partition of c drive....... so go like this.

download a partitioning tool, like Noton parttition magic portable, just 9 mb download....use it to make two partition out of your c drive.....

1 512 MB swap partition

2. Root partition (ext3 format) of size around 6 GB (will be sufficient as you will be using your windows partition for documents).

Now install Ubuntu on this root partition.

To not use windows boot manager, you have to do this:

while installing ubuntu, when the installer asks questions like name and all, in the last page when it displays final information, there is a button labelled advanced, click that, it will show (hd0) as location of installation of ubuntu boot loader. change it to (hd0,2).
[ Expalation you root drive is like /dev/sda3, which translates to (hd0,2) in terms of linux language)

Now boot into windows, use a software Bootpart to add the location of ubuntu boot loader to windows boot loader.

This way your windows boot manager will remain intact. And you can remove Linux boot loader location entry from it anytime, by simply editing c:\boot.ini file......

I haven't explained stepwise but i hope you can do it now. give it a try....if you don't get anything, ask again here......

as it seems u have just one partition of c drive....... so go like this.

download a partitioning tool, like Noton parttition magic portable, just 9 mb download....use it to make two partition out of your c drive.....

1 512 MB swap partition

2. Root partition (ext3 format) of size around 6 GB (will be sufficient as you will be using your windows partition for documents).

Now install Ubuntu on this root partition.

To not use windows boot manager, you have to do this:

while installing ubuntu, when the installer asks questions like name and all, in the last page when it displays final information, there is a button labelled advanced, click that, it will show (hd0) as location of installation of ubuntu boot loader. change it to (hd0,2).
[ Expalation you linux root drive is like /dev/sda3, which translates to (hd0,2) in terms of linux language)

Now boot into windows, use a software Bootpart to add the location of ubuntu boot loader to windows boot loader.

This way your windows boot manager will remain intact. And you can remove Linux boot loader location entry from it anytime, by simply editing c:\boot.ini file......

I haven't explained stepwise but i hope you can do it now. give it a try....if you don't get anything, ask again here......

I heard that without using any partition manager from windows, this was possible. I have installed ubuntu on vmware and had used it for sometime. But i was not ready to partition using the Linux OS Partition manager while installing. So just wanted to know the steps and the ubuntu version which does that.
Anyways, Thanks for the link man. :hap2:

Back