CPU/Mobo "Intel’s Haswell Could Be Last Interchangeable Desktop Microprocessors"

PoBoy

Skilled
Intel?s Haswell Could Be Last Interchangeable Desktop Microprocessors - Report - X-bit labs

According to Japanese PC Watch web-site, code-named Haswell microprocessors may be the last desktop chips in LGA packaging, which enabled easy switch of CPUs on mainboards. Starting from Broadwell chips, which are due in 2014, all mainstream desktop processors will be available in BGA packaging, which means that they will have to be soldered to mainboards, something that can be done in relatively sophisticated manufacturing facilities.

I was hoping that we'd soon have cell phones and tablets with interchangeable processors and upgradable RAM, and no OS. Laptops with empty shells where we put in all the internals (motherboard, cpu ram, hdd,etc) but buy the externals for the screen,keyboard and look.

But it seems that we're heading in the opposite direction, with closed systems, more profits for big manufacturers; less choice for consumers, and off course, higher costs and more electronic waste.

I hope this is just a rumor.
Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock and the other motherboard makers, I am worried about them!
No more overclocking, no more drooling over sexy motherboards, no more proccy upgrades. Well that sucks. Flexibility of systems, is what defines the desktops. This means killing dektops altogether. :|

mobo manufacturers will be the biggest losers in this. I dont think they will entirely move to this BGA packaging. probably entry level processors will have such an option.

_

This could be a great angle for AMD to attack from. Already AMD has a massive advantage with their motherboard flexibility.

Lets see what happens... Broadwell is "tick" compared to "tock" of Haswell but due to this new design it might be a totally incompatible with the haswell motherboards. It will be interesting development I would say. Either way we will see some changes. The market demand currently for people who like choices with different motherboards with different features and aesthetics... Intel's motherboards although good do not have that omph factor even if you give the skull and all in design :p

Who knows maybe its AMDs chance to shine with a 16 core processor... :p

Moving in the Windows RT future.

If this 'rumour' turns true, well there goes the hardware aspect of buying a PC; just cannot wait for what crooked explanations I will get from the local computer-walaa for buying these.

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/26/intel-kills-off-the-desktop-pcs-go-with-it/
Normally, you would expect Intel to tell the companies that are affected, the Asuses, Gigabytes, MSIs, and maybe Asrocks if they are still around, well ahead of time. This time Intel didn’t, and that should tell you a great deal about their intentions. At least a few key PC players found out from SemiAccurate a few months ago, and they were rather incredulous about the news. This state of mind has probably changed to a state a bit past peeved by now, their entire business is about to be gutted. Intel didn’t just do a bad job of messaging this one, they didn’t do any job of it.
That brings us to the next issue at hand, enthusiasts. They are pretty much dead, not that Intel seems to care. Since they nearly destroyed that nascent market with Nehalem, and have since progressively removed any features the enthusiast cares about while jacking the cost to buy them back to untenable levels, enthusiasts have become an endangered species. Unfortunately Intel doesn’t care about the enthusiast, and unsurprisingly they have moved on.
SemiAccurate has been chasing the last bit of this story for several weeks, there is a very good chance that Broadwell’s successor, Sky Lake, will bring back a socketed CPU. Unfortunately it will only be for a generation, possibly two, nothing permanent. By then, the last remaining overclockers and experimenters on the PC front will be gone, and for good technical reasons. Increasing integration will make this minor backpedalling step a rather moot point, there won’t be anything left to tweak, and any headroom will have been screened out at the fab prior to fuses being blown. Worse yet, margin requirements will effectively make it not worth extreme cost. Haswell is the end of the line, if Sky Lake does backpedal a bit, it will be a form factor change only, not a philosophical one.
updated 11/26/12@3:25pm: One point to add, two OEMs have confirmed to SemiAccurate that they have now been briefed that Broadwell is BGA only. This was done weeks after we first told them about the problem.

Intel makes money indian style,
the more money you make the more you spend on R&D so that you dont have to shell out on taxes, which in turn would help in making more money.:yes:

I hate this bcoz , it happens way to fast.
Like petrol vapourizes on a hot afternoon.

thats why i switched to amd, and recommend AMD:bigok:.

thats why i switched to amd, and recommend AMD.

Doesn't change the fact that Intel processors are perceived as better (by default) and are more recognized by the masses. And finally in the performance and efficiency factor they currently lead at all price points.

Intel makes money indian style,
the more money you make the more you spend on R&D so that you dont have to shell out on taxes, which in turn would help in making more money.:yes:

I hate this bcoz , it happens way to fast.
Like petrol vapourizes on a hot afternoon.

thats why i switched to amd, and recommend AMD:bigok:.

What an uninformed post, with an asinine logic for recommendation.

Out of curiosity can you quote the sales and profit and Rn D figures of Intel for the last 3 years ?

Its already hard to find higher end processors with retailers, won't it become impossible to get a CPU + Mobo combo (at reasonable cost) if someone is looking to build a mid to high end PC.
Dumb move :no2:

anyway intel has prehistorically(since jurassic times) wanted its customers to buy new mobo with a new proccy,why leave any leeway for complains and directly solder the damn chips?(i think this is just a big fat rumor)

Back