Intel Announces 14th Gen Core Series For Desktop: Core i9-14900K, Core i7-14700K and Core i5-14600K

Why did they even release this? Very very minor enhancements that they could have added into current lineup itself as 13x50 variants.

pointless release.. my 13700KF OC used to do the same clocks as 14900K at stock.. 14700K is the only acceptable release and even that is a very niche usecase since it only has more e-cores.

What's the best option to upgrade now for Intel users? Intel has made a mess of their releases over the years recently

What's the best option to upgrade now for Intel users? Intel has made a mess of their releases over the years recently
The decision boils down to DDR4 vs DDR5.
  • To switch to AM5 you need DDR5, which is more expensive than DDR4 while not giving a proportional performance bump.
  • Since DDR4 options exist for Intel, you can spend the difference (from cheaper RAM and cheaper mobo) on a better CPU, which will overall give more performance than faster RAM alone.

Can you elaborate more on the mess from Intel
Well it began with issues and delays on their transition to the smaller dye sizes then a bunch of refreshes that didn't really bring much to the table but required new chipsets while the TDP's only kept climbing. Now the P cores and E cores splits means picking a CPU for a user is much more of a nuanced choice etc. Earlier it was pretty much of a clean update and upgrade cycle in a sense

Well it began with issues and delays on their transition to the smaller dye sizes then a bunch of refreshes that didn't really bring much to the table but required new chipsets while the TDP's only kept climbing. Now the P cores and E cores splits means picking a CPU for a user is much more of a nuanced choice etc. Earlier it was pretty much of a clean update and upgrade cycle in a sense
Yeah yeah, their jump to a smaller nm hasn't been that good. AMD was at 7nm and then 5nm where as they were busy perfecting 10 nm.

Back