CPU/Mobo Intel ATOM for a download rig / file server ?

Re: Intel ATOM

Yup...it's a pretty good solution. Low power, low cost. Get a low profile case, and use the inbuilt 200-300w psu. It won't be very efficient, but it'll get the job done.

escaflowne said:
Can I have Intel ATOM for running 24/7 download + NAS or Samba server for transferring the downloaded files.?
Technically there are no issues using an Atom based setup for 24x7 downloads. I had a similar setup stuffed inside a shoebox for sometime and used to remotely monitor the status using Teamviewer. But ditched the setup later, and got myself a netbook since I wanted a portable device for browsing as well.

I ran into an issue though - the tiny 50 mm fan gave up after a very brief period of usage. The fan make was some unknown company when most of intel's stock heatsinks for processors have a Delta/Nidec/Sanyo Denki make fan. I came to know of this after a while although the system ran without issues since there was a 120mm fan inside this shoebox.

escaflowne said:
Does 60W DC to DC power supply will be sufficient
For the Atom board, a hard drive and a fan, yes it should be sufficient. Why don't you consider a cheap netbook instead? Might cost you slightly more but it has its advantages as well.

Gannu said:
For the Atom board, a hard drive and a fan, yes it should be sufficient. Why don't you consider a cheap netbook instead? Might cost you slightly more but it has its advantages as well.
can you suggest some with price.

most of the netbook i browsed is of close to 13K .....

i have been using a atom based MOBO as download/browsing rig for over a year, and never had problems...it is a good power saving option.

I'm also interested in an all in one mobo now. @TS, sorry for hijacking your thread.

first i thought of getting a router/ mediaplayer and flashing it. but reading in these forums how people are having various problems with their routers or mediaplayers and slow transfer speeds has made me think twice of getting those. So whats left for me (which is easy to format/recover incase of crash) and has good performance are:

1. A mini pc (or only mobo+mem) with one of - Intel atom or amd e350 mobo (which does not seem to be available here)

2. Netbook

budget is 10k max. need to get a usb powered hdd too. :ashamed:

e350 mobos are available, but atrociously priced @7k or so. The Atom 425 boards are a decent option - Gigabyte has a 425 board with 4 SATA slots so it works fine as a fileserver as opposed to most Intels that come with only two. This is a project for me in August. A 425 or 525 board, 4 biggish drives plus a 'small' 300GB IDE drive for OS. I was initially looking @freenas but I guess it'll end up being Linux or Windows of some kind - the cheapest I can afford. The trouble is getting a small enough power supply to be efficient at the low power draw of this kind of system.

I dunno how 2 SATA ports will work as a fileserver. I need a minimum of 2TB x 3, add one more for some future-proofing.

None of the boards you're talking about use DDR2, all DDR3. And where are you getting a 250 Seasonic from? I can only see the 500W+ models in India.

i was using atom based download/surfing rig for a long time..now i have changed to a AMD based setup MSI E350. Apart from downloading it serves as a HTPC as well and with same ( if not lesser) power consumption.

its easily available at nehru place..

ANy link for the gigabyte all in one mobo? Is it this product - GA-E350N-USB3?

and how much power does it consume?

titana, just curious but what enclosure have you installed this HTPC inside?

I may build one sometime in the near future based on the Brazos but my TV itself seem to play everything I've thrown at it!

@6pack

Sorry i wrote gigabyte in previous post, actually i am using MSI. i selected MSI board as it has a power saving mode as compared to Gigabyte based 350 boards.

At the time of buying i read the reviews and decided to go with the following

Newegg.com - MSI E350IA-E45 AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, dual core) AMD Hudson M1 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo

@gannu

i have set it up in Zebronics "nick" cabinet

http://www.zebronics.net/Zeb_Nick.asp

i was getting an offer on the cabinet and am it using with Seasonic 200Watt PSU . The default PSU that comes with this cabby is different and i do not know of which brand.

Back