CPU/Mobo Intel C2Q Q9500 2.83GHz to launch Jan 17

Successor to Q9400 2.66GHz

Back in August, we wrote that Intel’s Core 2 Quad lineup is still kicking strong and that the company intends to launch new models within the series even at the start of the new decade. The Yorkfield-based 45nm processor taking the spotlight is yet another socket LGA 775 model targeted at the midrange consumer market.

The Core 2 Quad Q9500 runs at 2.83GHz and is the planned successor of the Core 2 Quad Q9400 at the same price point. As with every CPU in this particular family group, it features a 1333MHz FSB and a 95W TDP along with Intel VT-d and Intel TXT support. However, the L2 cache on this model is reduced to only 6MB unlike the Q9550 2.83GHz with 12MB of L2 cache.

This CPU will be launched on Sunday, January 17, 2010 at the same $183 price point of the Q9400. At the same time, this will also serve as the launch date of Intel’s fastest 45nm Wolfdale-based dual-core known as the Pentium E6600 2.93GHz.

Source

This chip can be quite attractive for people stuck with S775 C2D, decent 45nm OCable quad @ 8.5k~ INR.

comp@ddict said:
Bah....Phenom II X4 955 for 8.8k cant be beaten

Dude seriously... Anyone in their right mind who was going for a complete (incl. mobo) upgrade would NEVER buy LGA775 platform at any range.

For low end there is AM2+, for mid there is AM3 and LGA-1156 and for high end there is Intel LGA-1156 and LGA-1336.

LGA775 is a purchase for those who have high performing boards already and would not want to sell them (resale value very low).

So C2Q Q9500 is not even TRYING to compete with PIIX4 955BE.

@OP:

Thanks for sharing this nice piece of information. Gives a good option for the LGA775 upgrade path.

Though the cache is low. 6MB spread over 4 cores. But we cannot have the cake and cherry together. Though wonder how easily it will OC.

MHG said:
Dude seriously... Anyone in their right mind who was going for a complete (incl. mobo) upgrade would NEVER buy LGA775 platform at any range.

For low end there is AM2+, for mid there is AM3 and LGA-1156 and for high end there is Intel LGA-1156 and LGA-1336.

LGA775 is a purchase for those who have high performing boards already and would not want to sell them (resale value very low).

So C2Q Q9500 is not even TRYING to compete with PIIX4 955BE.
what's the message???

New PC guys now are buying a Core i5.

Those with older mobos are still upgrading to an AMD quad/tri core....

Those with LGA775 duals or C2Q Q6xxx are going for Phenom II or Core i5/i7

in short, i dunno what INTEL is trying to do...they shud be introducing cheaper quads, not stay above that 163$ magical barrier(C2Q Q8200)

comp@ddict said:
what's the message???

in short, i dunno what INTEL is trying to do...they shud be introducing cheaper quads, not stay above that 163$ magical barrier(C2Q Q8200)

But I thought this new Quad would be cheap. In the 8K range. People who want to hold onto the LGA775 --- would this not make a good upgrade option..?

I would rather consider that this is the END of LGA 775's :( pity too .

But am also witnessing the emergence of HIGH END- cpus !

so any Tech geek (imo) who looking out for some serious kick ass performance he will surely opt the newer ones like 1336 ,1156s .

Even i would'nt mind spending a few bucks extra fi i had to change my MOBO to go for the newer combos :)

comp@ddict said:
what's the message???

Its for those who want to upgrade from Dual Cores like E7200 and E8400 who have good boards (I mean really good type, like TPower i45, X48, X38, 750i, 780i, 790i, etc) and want to go to Quad Cores.

Makes sense since if gaming is priority (quad core gaming is the IN thing for 2010) there is little performance difference between Core i5 and Core2Quad.

For the record, all those saying LGA775 is dead:

Today if I put a Q9550 on my P45, and OC it...it will be a formidable opponent to 1156 1336, AMD3+..or what ever you throw at it. Okay, it might not win, but it will not eat dust too. Yes, and I am not taking about WinRAR tests, video encoding, and synthetic tests (Vantage,Prime, Sisandra Soft). Gaming performance and usual computer use -- browsing, MS office, video watching.

You guys are being so ignorant, and signing off an excellent socket.Most of the readers missed the original crux of this thread. The OP was trying to tell us that it is an excellent option for LGA775 users. Hell I have NO plan what so ever to change my board till at least 2010 Q4. So what do I do...sit and sulk...NO, I go and by the Q9400 and OC the skin of it.

@Hector19:

Have you heard of this concept -- "skim reading". It is when you really quickly read a paragraph, and your mind processes it, and you understand almost 60-70% of the content. Usually we all read news papers like this. Sure as hell, am not sure what you are doing while reading posts. You read the title and post.

totally agree, great chip for those of us stuck with the LGA 775 boards, and wanna move to a more powerful and efficient chip, without having to shell out too much!

Thanks for the update Sidhu.

asingh said:
For the record, all those saying LGA775 is dead:

Today if I put a Q9550 on my P45, and OC it...it will be a formidable opponent to 1156 1336, AMD3+..or what ever you throw at it. Okay, it might not win, but it will not eat dust too. Yes, and I am not taking about WinRAR tests, video encoding, and synthetic tests (Vantage,Prime, Sisandra Soft). Gaming performance and usual computer use -- browsing, MS office, video watching.

You guys are being so ignorant, and signing off an excellent socket.Most of the readers missed the original crux of this thread. The OP was trying to tell us that it is an excellent option for LGA775 users. Hell I have NO plan what so ever to change my board till at least 2010 Q4. So what do I do...sit and sulk...NO, I go and by the Q9400 and OC the skin of it.

+1. Nearly all Q9550 OC very well to ~4Ghz and I'm sure they are just a little behind i5 if not win in various tests.

And if you compare em with Phenom II 955, well their performance is near about same, but surely Q9550 is a better overclocker since it wins in clock to clock comparison.

Back