intel core i3 or amd phenom ii x2

flippertom

Recruit
Which one should I buy...core i3 or phenom ii x2....?
if possible plz justify...
I do not need it for any specialized purpose(such as gaming or photo editing).

What applications will be run on these PC's. And do you need a complete RIG configuration or just the CPU between < AMD Phenom II, Athlon II vs. Intel Core i3 >. If you need the entire configuration use this format to post your query --->http://www.techenclave.com/pc-buying-advice/template-what-should-i-buy-use-143714.html

Also I would recommend the AMD Athlon IIx4 640 processor to you due to following reasons -

1) AMD is cheaper to set-up CPU + motherboard.

2) You get 4 real cores which really makes the set-up future proof and AMD AM3+ accepts the AM3 chips but not vice-versa.

3) Unlike the Phenom II which just have an unlocked multiplier the Athlon II offers more VFM now due to cheaper price and better multi-thread performance.

4) The Phenom IIx2 are not unlocking to quads any more.

Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News -- Athlon IIx4 640 vs. Intel Core i3 540

Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News -- Athlon IIx4 640 vx. Phenom IIx2 565

In the end it is really your choice.

At 5k range Athlon IIx4 640 is the best.if u can wait the intel sandy bridge i3 2100 dual core is coming and compare to how it perform against x4.

I'm including the price of a board also which means atleast 12K while you can pocket an AMD Quad + mobo under 7K

^^

Serious competition for AMD at this price-point :). The layout of the board is pretty neat too. But still I'll say AMD is a better buy for the cores and OP is not forthcoming with details of usage.

Back