Intel decides to join the 3D cache wagon

While it is good that we'll be getting more options in the future, Intel will be late to the party, given how not all games benefit from the 3D cache, everyone bottlenecked by CPU currently would have gotten either a 5800x3D or 7800x3D or 7950x3D (for productivity as well) by then. If AMD comes out with a 7600x3D, then it will take a really big chunk out of i3 and i5 market.

I think I suggested you to get the 5800x3D and forget about upgrading CPU for a long while?

While it is good that we'll be getting more options in the future, Intel will be late to the party, given how not all games benefit from the 3D cache, everyone bottlenecked by CPU currently would have gotten either a 5800x3D or 7800x3D or 7950x3D (for productivity as well) by then. If AMD comes out with a 7600x3D, then it will take a really big chunk out of i3 and i5 market.

I think I suggested you to get the 5800x3D and forget about upgrading CPU for a long while?

I appreciate your take on the upcoming Intel options. You've got a point about the timing and how it might shake things up in the CPU market.

You're absolutely right; you did recommend considering the 5800x3D for its strong performance and the potential to avoid the hassle of frequent CPU upgrades. That's valuable advice, and I'm definitely weighing my options. However, I've been experiencing quite a bottleneck with my current setup.

My trusty 2600K is paired with a beefy 3090Ti, and in some games, the frame rates look like a rollercoaster ride. Even overclocking hasn't been a silver bullet, especially when gaming at 4K. So, once this old PC bites the dust, I'm thinking of holding onto the GPU and SMPS and upgrading the rest. I think that with a 5800X3D and B550, I can do with the upgrade in under 60K, Ravinder had a 5950X setup for sale which I missed to grab.

It's always fascinating to watch how competition in the market sparks innovation and gives consumers more choices. Let's see how it all unfolds!

My trusty 2600K is paired with a beefy 3090Ti, and in some games, the frame rates look like a rollercoaster ride. Even overclocking hasn't been a silver bullet, especially when gaming at 4K.
Same story with my 3770k. I thought the games were buggy. Didn't realise just how much I was getting bottlenecked until I upgraded. A 12th gen i5 with stock cooler is way more powerful than a watercooled overclocked 3rd gen i7.

Current games actually need more CPU power than before. Whether or not it's due to crappy optimization, is up for debate. I mean if old games like BF3/BF4/Crysis 3 could look that good back then...

So, once this old PC bites the dust, I'm thinking of holding onto the GPU and SMPS and upgrading the rest. I think that with a 5800X3D and B550, I can do with the upgrade in under 60K, Ravinder had a 5950X setup for sale which I missed to grab.
Since the 5800x3D is overpriced here and DDR5 price is going down to DDR4 levels, there is almost no reason to not build AM5 which should comfortably run anything for the next 5+ years and is upgradeable. Cheapest board was 13k I think.

IMO you're missing out waiting for the 2600k to die: do yourself a favour, get rid of it even if you have to give it away for free and get something new that can unleash that GPU. I don't even mean top of the line. Even 5700x or 12400 will give you a huge generational uplift and good for 60+fps in most games. You literally are leaving perfomance on the table
1695265264623.gif

Well, the truth is crystal clear, but even after coaxing this rig to a stable 4.6 overclock, the results have been about as exciting as a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest. And let's not kid ourselves, folks – AM5 or the 13th Gen CPUs make more sense here; that 5800x3D is priced higher than Elon Musk's morning coffee (hoping that he gets the drink one) and is about as distinct as a chameleon at a rainbow convention. If I throw in an extra 42 grand, I'm suddenly playing in the 7800x3D/7900X or 13700K/KF ballpark, and that's where the real party's at.

Speaking of peculiar patterns, it seems I've got a thing for NVIDIA's "Ti" GPUs. First, it was the 3070Ti, then the 3080Ti, and now the 3090Ti has joined the club. But rest assured, I'll be jumping ship from this rig faster than a cat on a hot tin roof. I did consider slapping on an extra 32GB of RAM, but it feels like trying to cure a headache with a sledgehammer. The upgrade itch is real, my friends, and I plan to scratch it soon.

If I throw in an extra 42 grand, I'm suddenly playing in the 7800x3D/7900X ... that's where the real party's at.
That's precisely what I'm about to do. The games I play are so CPU bound that replacing the 12400 with a 13700k will give less performance bump than selling the build and jumping to 7800x3D. If 14700k came with 3D cache, that would have been the blind choice since it has good multi core performance as well.

But, like I keep pointing out, no use getting x3D if the games you play don't use it. 13700k would be better in that case.

Adding RAM won't help things, if that is not your bottleneck.

> Insert GN Tie meme

Back