CPU/Mobo Intel Eyes Quad-Cores in Q4

dipdude

Skilled
Quads for the holidays? Intel's first quad-core desktop processor is expected to arrive in November.
The Santa Clara, Calif., company, which pulled forward the launch of its "Kentsfield" quad-core desktop chip from the first quarter of 2007 into the fourth quarter of 2006, is still several months from launching the chip.

However, it's now expected to introduce the quad-core processor as part of its Core Extreme family in early November, sources familiar with its plans said.

The Core Extreme, which is targeted mainly at PC enthusiasts who are into gaming as well as certain corporate users whose jobs involve creating online content or editing videos, represents the pinnacle of Intel's desktops processor line.

Right now, the chip maker offers a dual-core Core 2 Extreme chip, based on its Core 2 Duo for desktops.

The quad-core Core Extreme chip, capable of executing four threads simultaneously, will use the same basic circuitry and will also serve the very high-end of the desktop market.
Intel Eyes Quad-Cores in Q4

These processors are not going to real quad-core....I mean these will be something similar to what Pentium D is.....Pentium D are just simple Pentium 4 processors joined together.... Similarly, these quad-core chips are gonna be just sticking 2 conroe's together!!

So I wouldnt bet much on these chips.... I guess we should wait for real quad-cores !!

Lol..

Vij, the Kentsfield @ 2.66 Ghz is set to launch at 1000$. I dont think the Conroes will be obselete anytime soon.

@ sunbiz_3000, I guess you havent visited XtremeSystems forums, and seen Coolalers Kentsfield results. It scales at 85%. As in gets almost double the performance than the Core 2 Duo @ the same speeds. Even though, it isnt native Quad Core.
The Kentsfield, is Intels answer to AMD's 4x4 Platform, in which you plug in 2 FX Chips, on 1 Board. (Isnt it the same thing? If you see it that way.)

No doubt, Intel will release Native Quad-Core chips in 2007 though.

My 2 Cents...

Coding is going to be Key... infact newly developed software will run faster on these new chips :)

@ sunbiz_3000, Not to dampen your spirits here but dude we know all dat and since 2 months now. Thanks Anyway!

hmmm....new..things..coming on so fast...technology..is reallly..running..fast..

dont knw..when there will be a giga core processor (read abt it's possibility somewhere )......really difficult..for..ppl like me ..to cope up with the pace of tech !!

faheem_m said:
hwhen there will be a giga core processor (read abt it's possibility somewhere )
Thats all possible with nanotecnology :hap2:
And when the fabrication process reaches to 1nm (Intel says it will reach 8nm by 2016) things will all change becuase the probablitity of electron being at a any place is 100%. its so damn close , so there is no external power required it seems..

giga core? read that in digit.

thats a dream really isnt it...

If that happens instant render like photoclick will become a reality and scientific research and analysis will benefit too.

Aditya said:
Lol..

Vij, the Kentsfield @ 2.66 Ghz is set to launch at 1000$. I dont think the Conroes will be obselete anytime soon.

@ sunbiz_3000, I guess you havent visited XtremeSystems forums, and seen Coolalers Kentsfield results. It scales at 85%. As in gets almost double the performance than the Core 2 Duo @ the same speeds. Even though, it isnt native Quad Core.
The Kentsfield, is Intels answer to AMD's 4x4 Platform, in which you plug in 2 FX Chips, on 1 Board. (Isnt it the same thing? If you see it that way.)

No doubt, Intel will release Native Quad-Core chips in 2007 though.

Yes I have seen those benchmarks, from coolaler when he released them some 2 months back and I know they look very impressive.... What I was saying is that although Kentsfield mayb very fast, the native Quad-Cores are gonna be the lot more faster and efficient!!

But you can't compare Kentsfield directly with 4x4 coz the 2 processors in AMD's case are directly linked with glueless HT... On the other hand Kentsfield is on FSB, which may be a bottleneck in real-world benchmarks (games)!!

One big advantage for 4x4 is that you'll be able to put in a GPU from ATI in that socket in a few months time hopefully... Another use of the other socket could be using co-processors or accelerators (like Java VM on chip)... This would make java code execute natively... These are all remote posibilities that Im talking about... But then I guess 4x4 is more futuristic than Intel's approach

maybe ...especially 6800 and a bit on 6600...coz they cant keep the 6800 @ 1200$ and hope to sell the quads for 2000$..

but def means the quad core will be very highly priced

Da|2kToX said:
so wait has this Quad-Cores been released? already? are this Quad-Cores better then the Core 2 Duo E6400 + extreme? Quad-Cores are made byAMD

if yes AMD Lives!!!!!!!!!! Muahahahaahahahahahaha

AMD Quadies K8L will still take a yr before launch :S.

shado_chazzer_killer said:
AMD Quadies are still a yr ahead.
My question was that are the quad 4 gona be better then the Core 2 Duo E6800 + extreme

Da|2kToX said:
My question was that are the quad 4 gona be better then the Core 2 Duo E6800 + extreme

and if u can install the q4 processor to a AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+?????????????????????????????????? i mean will the q4 need a whole new motherbaord????????? would i have to buy a whole new comp to support q4????????

broar94 said:
obviously .. yours is a EOL 939 Socket :rofl: Quad Cores - AM3 socket

i dont knwo much about computers so what u mean is i would have to buy a whole new computer to be able to support q4??????????

Lol... Darktox is fully confused.

guys.. The Lowest speed, 2.66 Ghz, Kentsfield, is set to Debut @ a price of $1000.

The cost of C2D's wont go down that much.

Quad Core 2 Processors (Yes, thats the official name), will work on C2D motherboards :).

dude..

Which Quad Core are you talking about.

First of all Q4 = Quarter 4, as in the last 3 months of a given year.

AMD's K8L, is going to be Socket AM3, So dont expect it to work on your board.

Intels Kentsfield, will work on Core 2 Duo, Mobos.

Anything else you didnt get?

Back