CPU/Mobo Intel Eyes Quad-Cores in Q4

Aditya said:
guys.. The Lowest speed, 2.66 Ghz, Kentsfield, is set to Debut @ a price of $1000.

exactly Adi...Now they cant have both the Quad core and the core 2 Extreme 6800 @1000$. The prices of the latter will have to plumet big time.I mean by atleast 200$.

Also the 6700 prices may have to go down considerably in price.... ....... 6600 may be marginally lowered...

All this in under 6 months...Gosh we are moving too fast...

Finally...comp are evolving at an extrenely fast rate...Predicting something as far as 15 years is difficult.

Not just the number of cores but the general architectural changes and efficiency..also the way sw may ber optimized to wrk better...

We will probably have no wires connecting any components inside our case. Every single shit being wireless...also minimal heat desspiation components are the way to look forward too...

how abt having your cpu in the bedroom and the motherboard in the drawing room and allowing them to communicate and work at blazing speeds..

or stack your case in the attic and just have an ultra rich flat panel(smthing way better than SEDs) on your desk lol...

My teenaged kids are gng to have a lot of fun...

^^ Lol.

Well.. Intel plants to release Octa-Core (8 Cores) Proccessors in 2 Years, and jump double every year. So by 2008, well have 8. 2010 - 16. 2012 - 32..

The nanometre process is supposed to go down a jump, every 2 years as well.

45nm Proccy's by intel are set for 2007/08.

wow lol i dont think its realy necesary to have octa or 20 30 40 processors the speed is to much we dont realy need it.... i think cd2 processors and Quad-Cores are good enough for years to come im talking about 5 6 years

what rubbish...

I have said it before....in DCC, scientific research/simulations etc we can have 100 times the processing power of E6800 and still yearn for more...

Well 6600 will remain where it is or 10% or there about reduction in price. X6800 is likely to vanish completely with the introduction of kf though officially Intel might continue selling it for while because its EE.

Remember the history of Intel. Usually EE vanishes when its replaced ;) prices of other stuff dont go down.

Funky said:
Well 6600 will remain where it is or 10% or there about reduction in price. X6800 is likely to vanish completely with the introduction of kf though officially Intel might continue selling it for while because its EE.
Remember the history of Intel. Usually EE vanishes when its replaced ;) prices of other stuff dont go down.
actually true
6700 will reduce by some margin and 6600 may have a slight reduction in price(actually they dont have to...its so well priced already).

shado_chazzer_killer said:
AMD Quadies K8L will still take a yr before launch :S.

The AMD quad-cores wont take another year. It'll be released in Q1 2007 for sure... Im not sure if it'll b the K8L or what... but it'll be quad-core. I think AMD wont take the performance crown back from Intel until they have ATI GPU's on-die or on a socket !!

Aditya said:
^^ Lol.
Well.. Intel plants to release Octa-Core (8 Cores) Proccessors in 2 Years, and jump double every year. So by 2008, well have 8. 2010 - 16. 2012 - 32..
The nanometre process is supposed to go down a jump, every 2 years as well.
45nm Proccy's by intel are set for 2007/08.

Wasnt it Intel's plans that we will have 10Ghz processor by 2010 :bleh: Intel has in the past made a lot of plans and comes out with nothing much... After Paul Otellini came in with all the changes to Intel, they realized that clock speeds werent achievable... So I wouldnt want to look too far into the future in terms of processor tech. You may actually have carbon nanotubes or some other design (less than 32nm) in processors by 2010..

And...since we r here talking about no. of cores, then the king of mutithreading processors is Sun Microsystems. The Sun UltraSPARC T1 (Niagara) is a 8 core processor, with each core able to execute 4 threads simultaneously... that means it can execute 32 threads simultaneously....

Now compare this to Intel/AMD's desktop processors !! But the question to be answered is "Do we need so many cores??"... Intel until a few years back said HyperThreading (fake cores) was good enough...and we didnt need dual/multi cores. This thing is actually true, since most applications cannot split their execution on separate cores...nor does the OS support it. Having used the UltraSparc on Solaris.... I can say that Windows (or do I say desktops) still needs to go miles before multi-cores starts making sense!! I would rather prefer them adding more performance (improve IPC) to each core, than create more cores on one chip!!

PS: For those who want to try Niagara, Sun Microsystems gives away a 60-day trial period, just like softwares, they give hardware trials... Check out: Sun hardware try-&-buy...

You may want to try Sun Fire T1000 server with Ubuntu. You just need to qualify for the trial. I think Engg Colleges may want to try and let their students learn more about server stuff !!

Desktop PCs will sport quad-core intel processors starting in the fourth quarter.

The Santa Clara, Calif., company, which moved up the launch of its "Kentsfield" quad-core desktop chip from the first quarter of 2007 to the fourth quarter of 2006, is still several months from launching the chip.

However, Intel is now expected to introduce the quad-core processor as part of its Core Extreme family in early November, said sources familiar with its plans.

The Core Extreme, which is targeted mainly at PC enthusiasts who are into gaming, as well as certain corporate users whose jobs involve creating online content or editing videos, represents the pinnacle of Intel's desktop processor line.

Right now, the company offers a dual-core Core 2 Extreme chip, based on its Core 2 Duo for desktops.

The quad-core Core Extreme chip, capable of executing four threads simultaneously, will use the same basic circuitry and will also serve the very high end of the desktop market.

Intel is looking to the Core 2 Duo and Core Extreme processor family to increase its competitiveness versus rival Advanced Micro Devices and to gain back market share following a string of lackluster quarterly financial performances.

Although the quad-core Core Extreme is likely to come in a somewhat-limited number of desktop models, the chip and efforts by graphics chip makers will contribute to an ongoing renaissance in the high-end desktop market. Also contributing to that renaissance is AMD's 4x4 platform, which supports two dual-core CPUs in a high-end desktop.

Intel is expected to offer more quad-core details at its Intel Developer Forum in San Francisco Sept. 26-28.
Source: eWeek -> Intel Gets Its Game on with Quad-Core Chip

Back