Intel nuc vs hp elitedesk

ajeetone

Recruit
I am looking to buy used hp elitedesk on TE however also getting a deal for intel nuc on whatsApp. I have seen people are buying intel nuc at the higher cost with similar config on elitedesk/dell optimax. Am I missing something?

NUCs are smaller. They are VESA mount compatible, so they can be mounted on the back of monitor and pretty much disappear out of your view.

They also use laptop CPU, so pretty power efficient if you are looking to run it 24x7. This can also be a disadvantage if you want performance, since laptop CPU is slower than their desktop counterparts.

Asus Mini PC. I had 2x 8th gen i5 NUC before but both gave up with fan failing. But Intel support was good. They arranged for a refund since the stock was not available.

Last edited:
My friend have both the NUC and the HP, as well as Dell Optiplex. At least when running Windows, the HP has an loud fan that spins up and down. The Dell and NUC are effectively silent in an office environment. Use cases might be different like setting plex server or hackintosh and my understanding is Intel nuc have more support from community.

Most important benefit of NUCs is that they have much larger user base and community. Especially if you want to use it for anything more than just windows desktop.

I am looking to buy used hp elitedesk on TE however also getting a deal for intel nuc on whatsApp. I have seen people are buying intel nuc at the higher cost with similar config on elitedesk/dell optimax. Am I missing something?
probably NUC came first as a mini PC and was extremely popular among users. Others came later. Otherwise, I have bought 3-4 Lenovo Tiny PCs all giving smooth performance. so it need not be NUC. you wont miss anything

probably NUC came first as a mini PC and was extremely popular among users. Others came later. Otherwise, I have bought 3-4 Lenovo Tiny PCs all giving smooth performance. so it need not be NUC. you wont miss anything
Only till you use windows. If you go for linux or VMs or other less used stuff you start running into issues since same model can have different hardware in different countries with other manufacturers.
With NUC you have huge community support and theres a chance that someone with more experience has already figured out the solution.

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge. I am going with Intel NUC this time.
Intel NUC - Compact size (visa mount), Greater community support for different project

HP EliteDesk- Cost effective as compared with Intel NUC with similar performance, Good for vm, plexserver support.
@ibose @salian You guys have lots of experience with NUC stuff. Care to explain different use cases and where to get support (website, forums etc).
Thanks

Care to explain different use cases and where to get support (website, forums etc).
I have used it as HTPC, low power office VDI, normal desktop and now looking to create a Hackintosh. They are pretty versatile and small. The best thing is that they can be easily VESA mounted behind your monitor and are hidden away. Here are a few sites -

Last edited:
There is no way to legitimately get the file without having access to a Mac, and a licensed copy of the OS via a purchase (unless you are a member of the Developer Program, for which you can expect to pay far more than the cost of the OS, what with it being free).

Back