CPU/Mobo Intel Pentium 4 805 D: Is it worth the overclock?

Hey_There

Disciple
Okay Guys, I'm keying this on my Opty 165 (939). I've OC'd her to 2.53 Ghz on air. I Can touch 2.8 - 3.00 Ghz with a watercooler (I'm sure) but will its my Asrock mobo thats holding me back ATM. I can upgrade to the DFI, but then again I will have to jump to AM2 when the quad cores come out. So, I'm kinda stuck here with the best OverClock I've ever had in my life.

Anyways, my bud just announced that he wants to get a new rig and has enough monie saved up for it.
Risky as he is, he does not mind the P4 805D or an Opty or maybe even an A64 3800+ to overclock.

I've been thinking lately. . . Is the 805D really that good; Will any 805D OC 4Ghz straight out of the box with a watercooler
? Or are there any special week numbers like in the case of the Opty 165??

Also, does anyone know if the AM2 chips OC better or worse?

Confused person here, could use your opionion.

Well..

First of all, whats his budget? Where you from?

Id recommend go for a E6300 and overclock the stuffing outta it :). Much better performance, than an X2 @ 2.8 Ghz even...

See thats not the question you should be asking... More like is it worth getting more performance by pushing a CPU to 3.5 GHz + ? And to keep it that way permanently...

You have to decide whether its more performance you want, in that case go with a faster processor. See I like speed, but haven't OC'ed anything on my home PC's. Just don't really believe in it (been bombed by some TE members about this too) :p

So I went and got a better proccy. Anyways that's OT.

The point being I don't see a permanent OC doing anything for CPU life. I mean an OC of around 400~500 MHz on that proccy is decent, but 1 GHz + past stock speeds is pushing it.

That's a great part for OC-ing and performance will be good. But I don't think it'd match a 3800+ with OC'ing. btw you shouldn't have trouble hitting 400 MHz OC using water on that x2..

GF is right, C2D is the way to go...

hi
The Pentium 805D is a great cheap CPU it's avaliable for about Rs 5000 in the market (yes the nu one ) >People have overclocked it to over 3.5Ghz probablay on water cooling you need a good motherboard for it an expensive one like asus P5 series .But if you really want new stuff the get your self a new conroe like E6600 or any model that fits into your budget and get that asus board it can overclock that demon .

vandal said:
See thats not the question you should be asking... More like is it worth getting more performance by pushing a CPU to 3.5 GHz + ? And to keep it that way permanently...

You have to decide whether its more performance you want, in that case go with a faster processor. See I like speed, but haven't OC'ed anything on my home PC's. Just don't really believe in it (been bombed by some TE members about this too) :p

So I went and got a better proccy. Anyways that's OT.

The point being I don't see a permanent OC doing anything for CPU life. I mean an OC of around 400~500 MHz on that proccy is decent, but 1 GHz + past stock speeds is pushing it.

That's a great part for OC-ing and performance will be good. But I don't think it'd match a 3800+ with OC'ing. btw you shouldn't have trouble hitting 400 MHz OC using water on that x2..

GF is right, C2D is the way to go...
Ummm . . . I don't mean to bash your head against the wall. . .:bleh:
But heres something I think you should go through.
A 4.1 GHz Dual Core at $130 - Can it be True? | Tom's Hardware
Now this is Tom's Hardware so I doubt you will question its validity. There seems to be a 54% increase in this processor's output when OC'd like this.

Heres a list of configs Tom's Hardware . . .
Your DIY 4 GHz Dual Core Gaming Rig For $720 | Tom's Hardware
In the first table, look at the mobo. It should be around Rs 4800 or so.

Heres a screencap of someone's benchmark. . . .
Pentium D 805 Overclocked Benchmark on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I suppose the only thing my friend will have to spend extra on is a watercooler and a 550W power supply. And of course, the electricity bill. :ashamed:

^^ Well.. Why doesnt your friend go in for a E6300.. OC'ing that to 2.5 Ghz, well reachable, on Air cooling.. Will give you better performance than the 805 even @ 4 ghz...

Hey Aditya,
My Computer Guru says the prices of the EXXX are prohibitive and all of them are not yet available in India.
I guess 'Friend' will have to dig deep into his pockets or settle somewhere in between.
You know what? I've referred 'friend' to computer guru. Let them work it out. Yake headache? :cool2:

Back