PC Peripherals Intel Preps Mac Mini Look-Alike

Sourabh

Disciple
Intel Preps Mac Mini Look-Alike

A new Wintel prototype that openly apes Apple Computer's popular Mac mini is due out this week, sources told Wired News, giving Intel a showcase to prove its chips are a match for anyone when it comes to tiny PC designs. Working prototypes of the Mac mini look-alike running Microsoft Windows and based on Intel's Pentium M CPU have already been built by Taiwan-based PC maker AOpen, according to two sources in Taiwan's PC manufacturing industry who have seen them. These sources added that the prototype was built at Intel's request, and will be unveiled here at the Computex trade show, which runs May 31 through June 4.

Apple has been using the Mac mini to encourage users of Intel-based PCs running Windows to "switch," a campaign Intel hopes to blunt. But analysts said they don't see big consumer demand for a clone of the stylish and popular box, or much of a threat to Apple. "I don't think the two -- Mac mini and whatever Intel puts out -- are really in the same market; that is, of course, unless Apple starts running OS X on x86 hardware," said IDC analyst Roger Kay.

Intel did not respond to a request for comment on this story.

Read More: Wired News

unrelated but this reminds me of the rumours of apple planning to use intel chips on their systems

lol... it duznt look half as good as the mini.. having seen the mini.. i can say,,, its damn hot
and yeah.. it runs mac os 10

well this news is true guys no rumours and non sense..

quote..

Intel and Aopen have tied up to make a mini PC which looks just like the Mac Mini. The machine that is based on Intel's latest Pentium M processors and mobile 915 chipset, will be highlighted by the company at Computex, a trade show in Taiwan.

Aopen will also aunch the Mac Mini look-alike based on the same Intel chips, at the show. Anthony Ma, a senior product manager at Aopen, said that the company aims to ship the Mini Mac look-alike in September to consumers.

Back