CPU/Mobo Intel's six-core 32nm Core i7 980X to arrive in March

Previously planned for a Q2 release, Intel's Gulftown, aka the Core i7 980X has been pulled into Q1 and is now set to debut in March 2010 (maybe at CeBIT 2010), before AMD's Thuban. The Core i7 980X is manufactured on 32nm technology, comes in an LGA 1366 package, has six cores and twelve threads, 12MB of L3 cache, a 130W TDP, 6.4 GT/s QPI, and will cost about $999.

The upcoming hexa-core will work on current X58 motherboards granted there will be a BIOS update provided. Asus for example already has eight Gulftown-ready boards.

intelcorei7980xslide01.jpg

Source

madness!! Since no longer can GHZ wars take CPU's forward, now the game is "how many cores can one slap on to a single processor". Well it's the only obvious way to do business in the CPU business.

If the applications are optimized, the CPU guys don't get the money so they wouldn't want to invest much money in it. So therefore hardware approach like this is the only way.

Is there a better way?

Look at the price 999$ Damn

One could buy 5 i5 750's in bulk. In future I think we can connect such efficient processors in parallel and use their computational power like SLI in graphic cards instead of buying one 1000$ processor.

Back