Linux Interesting article on Phoronix

viridian

Disciple
A month ago NVIDIA had introduced the Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix (VDPAU) that brought PureVideo-like features to Linux. Our initial benchmarks of this video decoding API within NVIDIA's binary driver were quite favorable as it was able to dramatically cut down on the CPU usage when playing H.264 video files. To see how well NVIDIA's VDPAU really is though, we have carried out some more thorough testing now and our hardware consists of a CPU we purchased for $20 USD and a NVIDIA GeForce graphics card that retails for just $30. Can this very low-end hardware manage to play high definition videos under Linux?
[Phoronix] HD Video Playback With A $20 CPU & $30 GPU On Linux

Note VDPAU is pronounced "vada pav" :D j/k

I've got the latest 180.11 beta drivers but its for KDE 4.2 beta1 perf fixes - havent tried VDPAU mplayer or anything yet... so far I only know of mplayer and MythTV that support VDPAU and a recent update made a breaking change in the API which will require other software to be updated too...

@vishalrao: Dammit now I'm hungry. Sounds promising though, wish I had a decent PC to test it out with. If you do try it out do let me know how it goes.

Thats what holding me back.. VDAUP .. I was thinking of getting AMD X3300 based 790 GX but VDAUP looks so promising that I might get 790 FX with low end nvidia 9 series VGA :)

Back