Storage Solutions Internal HDD - Seagate or Western digital?

Hello people,

I'm buying a 500GB internal harddrive, With alarming failure rates of seagate HDD's, I'd rather be safe with WD hard drives with 5yrs door-to-doorwarranty :S

I found many ebay stores which stock WD HDD's but none of the stores list out the details like Serial number or type(caviar green/blue/black) i even called a few store owners and they did not understand a thing :mad:
What are the ones they have in stock? I really dont prefer caviar green because of their variable spin speeds.:hap5:
a local dealer quoted me 3k+4%vat for a 500giger.

Which one should i get? WD blue? or 7200.12?

P.S- If u reply by 12am i can use an eBay coupon and save ~400Rs.:eek:hyeah:

wd blue without ne second thoughts...

i own one..and its great..both as an os drive and good for gaming as well...and reliable as well..good ASS ..

the 7200.12 prone to goin kaput from what i read in a couple of threads...i myself had to make this choice when buyin a hd ...glad i went for WD

ask for wd 5000aaks

sri_k said:
also WD offering 5yrs as compared to 3yrs with SG..

5 yrs is applicable for the Caviar Blacks and not the blues if I'm not mistaken.

@OP, get the WD Black if you can. Otherwise, get the Caviar Blue.

Thanks for the quick replies ankit and sri_k,

An eBay seller called me back and said he has only WD green drives for 3.1k+80rs-15%(ebay coupon)= 2703Rs. Which is amazing :(

Anyway i'll go pay a visit to S.P road and buy the blue series, How much did you pay for urs ankit?

@Gforce- I'm looking around for blacks too :(, It seems they are a bit expensive, Are they?

actually me too had a tough time finding the blue..aaks..

but some how the dealer managed to get a piece for me..and sensing tht i had no other choice but to buy it..he charged me rs 3250..
u can also check the wd 640 aaks these have a very strong fan following...they are fast , reliable and good vfm..for arnd 3.7ks

Seagate is not bad company, unfortunately failure rate high these days.People may chose WD or Seagate,But I would suggest investing in good SMPS followed by hard disk.

Its obvious one should go for company giving long warranty and reliability.I am happy user of WD640GB AAKS since last six months.

^^ I dont think seagate is bad at all, I've been using my 80GB pata since 5 yrs and still going strong without any bad sectors, My first computer too had a 4.5gb seagate brick which was good too.
Since my PC is used for downloading and normal internet browsing, i dont think any of my PC components demand more power. I'm looking out for the AAKS's

@cooldude

Same as your position

Just saw a post of 7200.12 crashing so its not good to go for Seagate in current condition.

Please tell me when you purchase WD HDD Blue/black, price & place of purchase.

Amarbir has blue versions at his store, he has 1TB black version too, Check out lynx-india.com, I guess i'll buy it from him coz blue versions are no where available in Bangalore :mad:

Yup,IMO there wont be much of a performance difference b/w green and blue for avg. home usage.... Green are quite good.... Go for WD's... Big no for seagate... Suddenly their HDD faliure rates have gone up from the 7200.11 series....

Karthi007 said:
Yup,IMO there wont be much of a performance difference b/w green and blue for avg. home usage.... Green are quite good.... Go for WD's... Big no for seagate... Suddenly their HDD faliure rates have gone up from the 7200.11 series....

i will use it for OS-applicatio-game-data

I went looking for a Wd in Nehru Place but could only get the green ones

So got a Seagate 7200.12 500G ..... and it has 5 years warranty instead of 3 which i was expecting :D

Thank you everyone for your replies, I ordered a 640AAKS Blue series from Amarbir at his lynx-india store :clap: :clap: I could nowhere find them at the "IT capital of india" :no:
@dexter, Good that you bought the 7200.12 instead of green, Heard they're quite slow.(But seagate is kinda vulnerable) :ashamed:

cooldude_007 said:
Thank you everyone for your replies, I ordered a 640AAKS Blue series from Amarbir at his lynx-india store :clap: :clap: I could nowhere find them at the "IT capital of india" :no:

@dexter, Good that you bought the 7200.12 instead of green, Heard they're quite slow.(But seagate is kinda vulnerable) :ashamed:

same here, waiting for the delivery..welcome to the wd640aaks club :hap2:

Back