Internet not working in Windows & working fine on Virtual box

umesh_boogy

Disciple
Hi,
i installed ubuntu 11.4 on virtualbox it was lagging so i thought of dual booting,
i installed ubuntu on another partition it was going good Internet was working fine. I restarted computer and went into windows 7 and found Internet was not working.
I tried un-installing ubuntu! still same
I removed network drivers still no result:(
tried accessing router page 192.168.1.1 no result:(
as last resort tried opening virtualbox and it's working there iam posting from same
wired thing is i can login in MSN messenger and weather gadget is working, gmail notifier is showing me one unread email, network gadget is showing my IP address:S
Please help me restoring setting's:ashamed:

This I think has little or nothing to do with installing Ubuntu, might have something to do with Virtual Box installation though.

If you use a proxy server for accessing internet check if that is set up properly (Internet Option > Connections > Lan settings).

Next try disabling the VirtualBox network adapter , and see if that helps.

Tried both :(

when i installed virtual box Internet was working fine

theoracle said:
This I think has little or nothing to do with installing Ubuntu, might have something to do with Virtual Box installation though.

If you use a proxy server for accessing internet check if that is set up properly (Internet Option > Connections > Lan settings).

Next try disabling the VirtualBox network adapter , and see if that helps.

Did you try a different browser than IE like firefox (Firefox uses different proxy setting than IE, chrome shares the same setting with IE), since you are able to login to MSN etc.. it probably looks to be some issue with browser config to me.

Yes i tried all three browsers and i have installed boinc which is also not able to connect

theoracle said:
Did you try a different browser than IE like firefox (Firefox uses different proxy setting than IE, chrome shares the same setting with IE), since you are able to login to MSN etc.. it probably looks to be some issue with browser config to me.

Probably you could check if port 80 in your computer is open :S , and no firewall is obstructing this port (haven't seen any firewall obstructing http port)

You can also run the command "netstat -a" and see to which port is the MSN and gmail notifier using to connect to the net.

Try doing "telnet google.com 80" and see if telnet is succeeding to connect to google, also try opening a https site like https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?&.src=ym .

These are just few tests which you could try out.

I dont think any firewall is blocking access

tried opening HTTPS yahoo & telnet google didn't worked :(

theoracle said:
Probably you could check if port 80 in your computer is open :S , and no firewall is obstructing this port (haven't seen any firewall obstructing http port)

You can also run the command "netstat -a" and see to which port is the MSN and gmail notifier using to connect to the net.

Try doing "telnet google.com 80" and see if telnet is succeeding to connect to google, also try opening a https site like https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?&.src=ym .

These are just few tests which you could try out.

I feel the VirtualBox network adapter has taken control of the connection when it should be shared with Windows 7. Anyways, can you check in Virtualbox settings and tell us what mode it is using.

It is using NAT mode

vivek.krishnan said:
I feel the VirtualBox network adapter has taken control of the connection when it should be shared with Windows 7. Anyways, can you check in Virtualbox settings and tell us what mode it is using.

Why don't you try deleting the Virtual Box network adapter and reboot the box and check.

You can delete the network adapter from Virtual Box> File > preference > Network (Tab).

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Could you also tell us if the network interface you use for internet access is first in the binding order, if not make it the first in order.
To check this Open Control Panel.

Click on Network and Sharing Center then click Change Adapter Settings.

Press and release the Alt key, and the menu will be displayed.

Click Advanced and then Advanced Settings. You can now check the binding order.

Tried no help

theoracle said:
Why don't you try deleting the Virtual Box network adapter and reboot the box and check.

You can delete the network adapter from Virtual Box> File > preference > Network (Tab).

Checked!

Could you also tell us if the network interface you use for internet access is first in the binding order, if not make it the first in order.
To check this Open Control Panel.

Click on Network and Sharing Center then click Change Adapter Settings.

Press and release the Alt key, and the menu will be displayed.

Click Advanced and then Advanced Settings. You can now check the binding order.

problem not solved yet

any suggestions?

Update your LAN driver. It may reset the default driver settings. Or try disabling any network settings in Virtual Box and then restarting the system may work. I don't use Virtual Box but I had a same kind of problem with VMWare Player. So I tried this fix and it worked and now I am able to access internet on both host and guest operating systems. Also you can try to delete all network adapters and reinstall your original one but I think you done that before but its the last clean fix that you can do otherwise remove Virtual Box and use VMWare instead.

I tried every thing deleted drivers installed updated

I tried uninstalling VirtualBox

I tried system Restore

Nothing worked finally gave Up and re installed Windows and never going to try VirtualBox again:mad:

So I should recommend you to use VMWare Player either and if same problem comes with it just disable the VMWare LAN Drivers in Windows Network Adapter Settings. But I don't think that problem will come with its new version. Good Luck Brother :hap2:

Well, can you check how many network adapters stay active. Try disabling the Virtual Box Network Adapter, and it seems that updating drivers and deleting those adapters didn't help you then, try pinging websites through cmd. Might be DNS Problems too.

Use Google DNS if your problem isn't solved already. Google Public DNS is a free, global Domain Name System (DNS) resolution service, that you can use as an alternative to your current DNS provider. Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses "8.8.8.8" as primary and "8.8.4.4" as your secondary DNS Servers.

Let us know how you solved the problem :)

Back