internet penetration in India

banda

Disciple
was wasting some time on Google Public Data Explorer (Did not know this even existed an hourr ago)

this is what i came up with --

LINK

LINK

alternate Link with comparison to GDP/capita on other axis

Not good at all :no:

Well i really shouldn't be wasting my time on the internet at all so i m not writing a how-i-feel-about-this post but I am sure plenty of people will share the view.

And for other people who like me, did not know about this google app before.. well now you do! There are other even more appalling statistics that it can pull too.. :( the power is in your hands.

I remember seeing something very similar on one of the TED talks and had downloaded a desktop application at the time which was even more comprehensive than this, so if you are interested in this kind of stuff there is something bigger outthere too.

So i am not the one having access to internet ?
Seems statistics based on wired broadband and many in metros thanks to stupid FUP and low speeds from ISPs are opting wireless broadband so the figures will be low where internet penetration is significantly increased through mobile devices.
Also for the wired internet our country has low desktop pc penetration so the figures will turn out to be low in Any case.

banda said:
was wasting some time on Google Public Data Explorer (Did not know this even existed an hourr ago)

this is what i came up with --

LINK

LINK

alternate Link with comparison to GDP/capita on other axis

Well i really shouldn't be wasting my time on the internet at all so i m not writing a how-i-feel-about-this post but I am sure plenty of people will share the view.

And for other people who like me, did not know about this google app before.. well now you do! There are other even more appalling statistics that it can pull too.. :( the power is in your hands.

I remember seeing something very similar on one of the TED talks and had downloaded a desktop application at the time which was even more comprehensive than this, so if you are interested in this kind of stuff there is something bigger outthere too.

It nothing strange with such awful plans and money making FUP I am not at all surprize that we are at last because what our isp doing as fup now. usa started once they were 80%. so if someone killing it is our isp and best and 1st in this list is Failtel (Airtel)

challapradyumna said:
some company will come and change the situation like docomo for mobiles.

does not matter till they come and do business pan india basis, like in delhi ncr their is no one against Airtel

delguy19 said:
does not matter till they come and do business pan india basis, like in delhi ncr their is no one against Airtel

Wait for an 12-16 Months at Most some small players like beam have planned their Expansion.

swatkats said:
Wait for an 12-16 Months at Most some small players like beam have planned their Expansion.

Hope so as not seen any good fight to airtel in last 8 years makes them doing whatever wish they can. and in delhi ncr coverage of rest apart from airtel is nill

There are ISPs like FiveNet in mumbai or Beam in Hyd but most people are not aware of these, who provide good speed at lower cost.
e.g: 1mbps unlimited for 500rs (not advertising).

@delguy we are already seeing a change by beam and similar companies taking over the regions they are operating. once they have enough capital they will expand to other regions .Its just a matter of time we can see a good change in base speeds of internet . BSNL is the one facing this heat and are already trying to upgrade all the connections to double the speed.

Nice work

banda said:

Nah, this place would be much better if more people did the same.

It isn't surprising because 80% live on $2/day. You want more users then more people have to make more than $2/day.

I've seen numbers that say India has anywhere from 50-100 million internet users, the point is only 1 in 10 of those has a home internet connection and that is what your data indicates.

banda said:
Yeah, the Swedish guy talking about how health care has improved over the years among differnt countries, very good presentation. He sold his app to Google and thats why you were able to use it.

delguy19 said:
It nothing strange with such awful plans and money making FUP I am not at all surprize that we are at last because what our isp doing as fup now. usa started once they were 80%. so if someone killing it is our isp and best and 1st in this list is Failtel (Airtel)
You pay more because govt needs the money to give to those making $2/day.

Nice find. If you equate those numbers with our 1B population as the multiplier and take out the %; it is quite a whooping figure. The ISPs are capitalists in nature and lobbyists, politically. So we will see plans and practices which not always go for the consumer. With just a few big players it will be a while before we see cheap plans, removal of FUP, DL+UL contention as a parameter and true BB. But all tunnels have a light at the end. Just depends how long it is...!

blr_p said:
Nice work

Nah, this place would be much better if more people did the same.

It isn't surprising because 80% live on $2/day. You want more users then more people have to make more than $2/day.

I've seen numbers that say India has anywhere from 50-100 million internet users, the point is only 1 in 10 of those has a home internet connection and that is what your data indicates.

Yeah, the Swedish guy talking about how health care has improved over the years among differnt countries, very good presentation. He sold his app to Google and thats why you were able to use it.

You pay more because govt needs the money to give to those making $2/day.

I have no issues in paying more but give real time unlimited plans not the fup based

Back