Introducing : SLYNUX

Kerala-based, 15-year old Sarath Lakshman has developed SLYNUX - a highly user-friendly GNU/Linux operating system designed for beginners based on Knoppix.

About SLYLUX
SLYNUX is a user friendly GNU/Linux Operating System for beginners. It can be run completely from CD without installation. There is also options to install to hard disk. The main feature of this operating system is that, any person who is familiar with Microsoft Windows OS can handle this operating system very easily. The desktop of this operating system is arranged so as to make it friendly to the user. Also it has a wide range of application programs which are pre-installed. SLYNUX is a live Linux distribution which includes content of about 2GB made available by using transparent compression. This is a debian based GNU/Linux developed from Knoppix (Credit of most features of this Distro goes to knoppix). This can be used by beginners of Linux OS. SLYNUX makes to familiarize Linux technology. This is also a complete suite Linux OS. This provides all types of needed software.

"I had first heard about GNU/Linux when I was a computer (Windows user) from standard eight. However, I was advised by tech-savvy people that only experts could use it. This inspired me to collect a Linux distro. I collected Redhat 9.0- the only Linux distro known and available in my locality and installed it in my system (128MB Ram and Celeron 1Ghz processor)."source

"Another major feature about my OS is that it supports internal modems; something that other Linux versions normally don’t. It can also access most of the file types used in the Windows OS. In addition to this, SLYNUX also supports Malayalam fonts. I have even included an on-screen Malayalam keyboard.By providing a flash player plug-in, a CD-burner software and a `paint’ programme, Sarath has also made sure that his OS is pretty strong on the multi-media front." - source

Key Features
* Much familiar and user friendly desktop
* Powered with KDE Window Manager.
* A variety of Multimedia Packages.
* Supports most of internal modems.
* A wide range of drivers for Digital cameras & printers.
* Internet-access software with No.1 Web browser Mozilla Firefox.
* Image editing tools.
* Tools for data rescue and system repair.
* Malayalam Language support with common fonts.
* On Screen keyboard for typing malayalam easily.
* OpenOffice(TM) 1.1. Powerful Office Suite.
* Macromedia Flash player.
* It also supports FAT32 file systems.
* Hard disk installation from live CD.
* Simple Hard Disk Installation
* Default user is root (Administrator)
* We can save files to windows partitions from SLYNUX live CD.

Visit the SLYNUX website, or its developer forums .

Back