PC Peripherals Inverter (UPS) advice - using desktop pc most of the time...

Hi all,

Am planning to buy a UPS for home use.

Am from Bangalore, due to frequent power cuts, am going for a Home UPS.

Suggested is:
UPS: Microtek UPS SEBz 1100VA Sinewave
Battery for it: Exide Tubular Battery 150Ah (1 or 2 nos.)

I use my Desktop PC most of the time, Hardware are: CPU, 24 inch monitor, 3 external hdd (USB with power plug), Modem+Router, 5.1 speakers. And a Laptop.

Am looking at 6-8 hours of backup (Max being 8 hours). Also planning to use 3 LED lights, 3 fans, and a TV, fridge, washing machine with it.

Now, with above suggested UPS with Battery, will i get 6-8 hours backup? Or Will i get 6-8 hours backup alone for the Desktop pc mentioned above, if i only use that? If I Use all above, how many hours of back up i can get?

Am not sure how much backup does a 150Ah battery gives, probably 3 hours?

I have been only using a APC UPS for the desktop alone, which gives max backup of 20 mins, but now planning to buy a UPS for home, so i can cope with the power outage. Buying the Home UPS first time, so please help with getting one, any other brand suggestion would also help. Thank you.

1100VA UPS requires 2 batteries in parallel. You can't attach only 1 battery to it since it requires 24V backup power (2 x 12V batteries).

Maybe this link will help: http://www.electroschematics.com/5730/inverter-backup-some-facts/
I don't think a fridge compressor will run on inverter ups (unless its one of those new frost free inverter fridge)

Edit: Don't throw away the APC UPS. Keep using it also. It will work fine on mains ups too.

Hi all,

Am planning to buy a UPS for home use.

Am from Bangalore, due to frequent power cuts, am going for a Home UPS.

Suggested is:
UPS: Microtek UPS SEBz 1100VA Sinewave
Battery for it: Exide Tubular Battery 150Ah (1 or 2 nos.)

I use my Desktop PC most of the time, Hardware are: CPU, 24 inch monitor, 3 external hdd (USB with power plug), Modem+Router, 5.1 speakers. And a Laptop.

Am looking at 6-8 hours of backup (Max being 8 hours). Also planning to use 3 LED lights, 3 fans, and a TV, fridge, washing machine with it.

Now, with above suggested UPS with Battery, will i get 6-8 hours backup? Or Will i get 6-8 hours backup alone for the Desktop pc mentioned above, if i only use that? If I Use all above, how many hours of back up i can get?

Am not sure how much backup does a 150Ah battery gives, probably 3 hours?

I have been only using a APC UPS for the desktop alone, which gives max backup of 20 mins, but now planning to buy a UPS for home, so i can cope with the power outage. Buying the Home UPS first time, so please help with getting one, any other brand suggestion would also help. Thank you.

TO run all this you need 1.5 KVA atleast
500 VA inverter with exide inva tubular battery runs 2 fans (60 W each = 120 W total )and 2 tubelights(40 +40W =80) for 8 - 10 hours max.

you should not load your inverter over 80% of its capacity.[DOUBLEPOST=1464367070][/DOUBLEPOST]to calculate your actual load, run/switch on all things you want on backup and switch off everything else.
go to your electricity meter and see the Load in KW and then calculate your inverter/UPS capacity.

Last edited:
1100VA UPS requires 2 batteries in parallel. You can't attach only 1 battery to it since it requires 24V backup power (2 x 12V batteries).

Maybe this link will help: http://www.electroschematics.com/5730/inverter-backup-some-facts/
I don't think a fridge compressor will run on inverter ups (unless its one of those new frost free inverter fridge)

Edit: Don't throw away the APC UPS. Keep using it also. It will work fine on mains ups too.

Thank you for the reply. Noted and understood....Nope, keeping the APC UPS still active.

TO run all this you need 1.5 KVA atleast
500 VA inverter with exide inva tubular battery runs 2 fans (60 W each = 120 W total )and 2 tubelights(40 +40W =80) for 8 - 10 hours max.

you should not load your inverter over 80% of its capacity.[DOUBLEPOST=1464367070][/DOUBLEPOST]to calculate your actual load, run/switch on all things you want on backup and switch off everything else.
go to your electricity meter and see the Load in KW and then calculate your inverter/UPS capacity.

Thank you for the reply. What does 'you should not load your inverter over 80% of its capacity', mean?

Got it. I will check the actual load.

Thank you for the reply. What does 'you should not load your inverter over 80% of its capacity', mean?

Got it. I will check the actual load.
Sorry for late reply.
suppose your inverter can provide output of 500 W
then maximum load on inverter (by fan ,tube etc) should not be more than 75-80 % i.e. 400W for a 500w inverter.

Back