IP Camera for home monitoring

gourav

Skilled
Over the last year or so, I've been traveling often, staying out of the house for 7-10 days at a stretch every 3 months or so. I live in a flat in a multi-storey building in Mumbai, so there's no security concerns as such. However, I have a couple of devices running 24x7 in my house even when I'm out. Hence I'd like to have the option to keep an eye on my flat.

Now, these days this is fairly simple due to the plethora of Wi-Fi cameras that are there in the market. However, there are two things which I don't like about most of them:
  • Recording on micro SD card - I have enough and more storage on my NAS which I'd prefer to use, rather than using a relatively expensive Micro SD card which may die due to regular use
  • Cloud connection - I don't want a video feed of my house to go to some random company's cloud servers
Therefore, I want a camera which can be run with Synology disk station and can be connected over ethernet. I'd prefer if the camera either didn't have a cloud connection capability, or allowed me to completely disable cloud connectivity. It also needs to be able to rotate 360 degrees to look in all directions in the flat.

I read up a bit and found that there's a standard called ONVIF and many cameras support this. Synology NAS supports cameras which have ONVIF.

So please recommend a camera which fulfills above requirements.

My budget is about Rs. 3000 and would prefer to buy online through any trusted store.

Back