iPAD Mini v/s Kindle

dipen01

Skilled
Hi,

Between iPAD Mini & Kindle

1) Which is a good device to read e-books (.mobi/.epub/.pdf) ?
2) Is there anything like - IPAD is good for .mobi and/or Kindle is good for .epub.. ?

I am looking for a device which can read mostly .mobi ebooks followed by epub and pdfs.

Thanks.

That's not a valid comparison IMO, comparing a dedicated reader to a tablet. But anyways
1) Kindle of course
2) No, Kindle (or any other e-reader for that mater) is better than ipad for any format

If you want a device just for reading get an e-book reader otherwise a tablet

2) No, Kindle (or any other e-reader for that mater) is better than ipad for any format
Tried reading any PDF with images, tables, code snippets etc on Kindle?

@OP- Kindle is just horrible when it comes to PDF. Please avoid. If only epub and mobi, then Kindle eyes closed.

But if you read PDF, graphic novels etc then iPad or that Kindle tablet may be.

Thanks @hitesh12 & @avi

Majority of what I would be reading is mobi/epub.
Is Kindle locked in any way ?. I can play any mobi/epub without buying it from Amazon right ?

I haven't read much about Nook. Is it an alternative to Kindle ?

Android will be always an advantage over Kindle's OS. Are you an iOS user? Android will give you much more freedom, just comes with a fugly UI & couple of bugs :p

So if its epubs and mobi, I would always suggest a nook. However do remember that B&N is discontinuing Nook, so I don't know how people would 'buy' books once that happens. However if you don't want to buy books from B&N then it wil be fine I guess.

So think wisely whether its epub only or PDF also. Earlier I made mistake & thought I can manage without PDFs. Next I spent & wasted a lot of time trying to make PDF look good in an e-Reader. Finally I gave up and bought a tablet. Now I am at peace ;-)

1) Can you elaborate specific advantage of Android over Kindle OS ?
2) Yes I am an iOS user.
3) Any good iOS app for reading mobi and epubs ?

1. Told ya, android is like iOS:
Android will give you much more freedom, just comes with a fugly UI & couple of bugs :p
3. Use iBooks (free) or Marvin (paid)

nook you can root and use all sorts of free readers which can read either mobi or epub or any format you want.
you only need to search for a appropriate Android app and install that and use it for your reading needs.

Kindle is now amazon owns os.
You have options like http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Duokan but its a lot of hacks to get it working.

out of box on kindle os it will support mobi format. you will need to conver epub to mobi.
pdf is dicey. Text only pdf will work well, but images will get scaled to fit the screen. and as pdf tend to be designed for a4 size layout, this can be a paint

pdf's are hardly the format of choice if you want to read novels. however every worthwhile book in tamil or malayalam are scanned pdf's which are pretty much unreadable in a nook :(

Back