iOS iPhone 11 battery down to 86% in 1.5 years

reliantrobin

Disciple
Is it normal for this level of capacity degradation to take place....I charge it only when it's around 10% and unplug it after it has reached a level above 85%.

Is it normal for this level of capacity degradation to take place....I charge it only when it's around 10% and unplug it after it has reached a level above 85%.
Battery health depends on your usage. If you game on your phone and use it heavily, I would say this is normal.
(Heat greatly affects battery cells and can cause faster degradation of battery).

depends on usage so seems good to me. you can get it changes if paranoid .

Battery health depends on your usage. If you game on your phone and use it heavily, I would say this is normal.
(Heat greatly affects battery cells and can cause faster degradation of battery).
I don't game at all on my phone, however, I have noticed the battery drains really quickly while using reddit and it sometimes heats up as well. Could a simple app like reddit be causing this degradation?

I don't game at all on my phone, however, I have noticed the battery drains really quickly while using reddit and it sometimes heats up as well. Could a simple app like reddit be causing this degradation?
Reddit app is pretty resource-heavy. If the phone is heating then definitely yes, battery is getting affected.

I personally think it may also be dependent on the charger you are using. Say you are using 20w charger which I guess fast charges the iPhone, then degradation may be at a faster rate. I had iPhone 6S and have iPad's 20w charger and a regular 1A/2A (3rd party) charger too and since I was anyways going to sell my iPhone so I started using the iPad charger (my phone had 3 party battery anyways) on my phone and I noticed that the battery health deteriorated quicker.

With my new iPhone 13, I am trying my level best to NOT use the iPad charger and I use regular slow charger (relative to iPad charger) to make sure my battery health remains pristine as much as I can. Also, with my usage, I charge my iPhone 13 after every 50 hours or so and hence I am hoping it to stay at 100% for more period.

Use Apollo for reddit its a much better app.

Also for reference I am sitting at 85% after about 2.5 years of usage. If it goes lower than 80 go to the service center and get it changed.

My iPhone SE (1st gen) sits at 75% battery health after 5 years of usage. My closest Apple service center is around 200 KM away! My phone heats up a lot even when I'm not using it. I came across a Reddit thread a while back explaining that this could be due to the phone running low on it's storage, which kicks in an auto cache cleaning mechanism, trying to squeeze out every last bit of cache storage, and this requires lots of processing power. Check if your phone is running out of storage as well.

My wife's iPhone X is at 75% health after almost 4 years and 4 months of usage. Still we don't plan to change the battery as it isn't really affecting the usage and with she being at home, she can charge phone more frequently if needed.

86% in 1.5 years is fine I guess, there are multiple factors which reduce the battery health..
my iPhone 12 battery is at 90% health after close to 14 months of usage

my Dad uses a previos genration iPhone SE (the smaller one which is similar to iPhone 5s) and battery health is still 96% after close to 3 years of usage

You are doing a deep discharge which will significantly impact battery health. You should try charging at worst around the 35% mark and not go any lower.

My brother has an iPhone 11 purchased in Dec 2019. He has refused to charge it using anything other than the bundled 5W charger, though he always charges it to 100% overnight from 30-40%. Battery Health is at 91% after 2.25 years.

On the other hand, I use a 10W charger with my iPhone 12 mini but always try to keep the charge between 40-80% using Shortcut alarms at both levels to remember to connect/disconnect. The need to manually disconnect has meant that the battery reached 100% or fell below 35% a dozen or so times till date, but battery health is still at 100% after 6 months.

The charger causes the most damage, so try to use the lowest possible as per your conveience. Also, try to keep the charge between 40-80% whenever possible. Note that every incremental % below 40 and above 80 causes a lot more cycles in wear. For example, on Android, Accubattery indicates 0.16 wear cycle for a charge to 80% compared to 0.25 for 85% (56% higher) and 0.9 for 100% (560% higher).

I follow 85% max charge and 30% min charge always its been 6 months still at 100%. I keep monitor of my charging status by enabling automations . It speaks battery percentage when it reaches certain percentage . Only when i go out i charge it to 90.

Attachments

• 48647871-1E1E-4864-A76F-E3E2476A1A21.jpeg
    48647871-1E1E-4864-A76F-E3E2476A1A21.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 01494AA3-F8F0-41CA-B727-CB53F1D3FDC9.jpeg
    01494AA3-F8F0-41CA-B727-CB53F1D3FDC9.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 171
Back