iOS iPhone 3rd party battery replacement

Typhon

Disciple
I have an iPhone XR with 78% battery health and want to replace the battery because I have no other issues with the phone and want to give it a new life, planning to have it for 1-2 years more.

Apple’s official battery replacement charges 8400 which I believe is a significant amount when you compare it with cashify - 2000.

I have no experience with battery replacement, want some help here who has experienced it. I know if I give to apple and something goes wrong, they will probably cover the cost of all repairs, but 3rd party will mostly not.

Please share your experience guys, both via official and 3rd party.

I have an iPhone XR with 78% battery health and want to replace the battery because I have no other issues with the phone and want to give it a new life, planning to have it for 1-2 years more.

Apple’s official battery replacement charges 8400 which I believe is a significant amount when you compare it with cashify - 2000.

I have no experience with battery replacement, want some help here who has experienced it. I know if I give to apple and something goes wrong, they will probably cover the cost of all repairs, but 3rd party will mostly not.

Please share your experience guys, both via official and 3rd party.
Cashify will be hit-and-miss.

They will use a knock-off battery, but the quality will vary. The battery may be great and serve the phone well, or it drains faster than an individual's salary in India.

I am telling you from my 10 years experience of using iPhone if the phone has only a low backup time which you can handle with 20watt fast charger then donot change the battery. If it is giving you 4 hours SOT and no any other problem like getting switched off without any reason or battery percentage dropping dramatically like from 20% to direct 5% in 10 minutes usage then don’t change the battery. Third party battery will work only few months and then they will ruin your phone with every problem you can’t imagine.

As I do my own iPhone battery replacements. Couple of pointers for you, if you don't want to go to Apple.

1. Contact tonyvision .in see if they have battery for your model, if not just buy from amazon or any other place. Don't pay more than 2k.

2. Once you have your 3rd party battery, don't worry about how it looks or what's written on it, go to any mobile shop preferably small one where you can see the guy working on your phone, ask him if he can remove the original battery without damaging it in any way, if he says "yes" only then tell him to install this 3rd party battery but don't glue it in yet, just close the phone and get your original battery with you, don't leave it at the shop.

3. At home charge it all the way and keep it on charge for 2 more hours after it reaches 100%. Let it deplete to 0% until the phone switches off, then charge it again to 100% without disconnecting. This will do the battery calibration.

4. Now use the phone like you normally do and see if it performs okay, gets you the backup you need, if satisfied then go the shop get it properly glued down with adhesive tape. If in case you don't feel any difference in performance, just get it removed put original battery back in and process the battery return.

The thing is if you glue it down with adhesive tape initially and then you try to remove the battery, most of the time adhesive tape breaks in the middle of removal and then you have to get the battery out with a pry tool which damages the battery. In that case you won't be able to return the battery. Side note - The removal of original battery the very first time can be done by an expert without damaging it, because it is placed by apple with very high tolerances and equal pressure which is predictable and aid in removing it cleanly just by pulling the adhesive tape tabs carefully.

Don't give the mobile shop guy more than 500 cause all he is doing is replacing the battery that you brought.

If you feel like the guy is genuine let him source the battery and do all the talk about "I will test first then I will pay" cause testing process will take 2 to 3 days.

In all cases keep the original battery with you it will help you to sell the phone in future, because with third party battery you will get non-original message, don't worry about it, it's harmless doesn't affect any functionality of the phone, it is just a pop up notice that goes away.

Some Extra Info regarding this.

The original iPhone battery has BMS in it, which can be removed and put onto the 3rd party battery, this will fool the phone into thinking that your 3rd party battery is original. This process involves carefully opening both the battery to swap the BMS. Don't do it and don't let anyone do it for you.

Some info regarding third party batteries

Most of the time they are bad if not bought from good source. Even the good ones sometimes not work exactly like the original, but they are good enough and can last as long as your original one did. For example you might see things like battery runs great from 100% to 20% but after that it just starts dropping really fast. But it doesn't matter at that point because even in that state the third party battery performs so much better than the original worn out one. It really gives it a new life.

Last edited:
As I do my own iPhone battery replacements. Couple of pointers for you, if you don't want to go to Apple.

1. Contact tonyvision .in see if they have battery for your model, if not just buy from amazon or any other place. Don't pay more than 2k.

2. Once you have your 3rd party battery, don't worry about how it looks or what's written on it, go to any mobile shop preferably small one where you can see the guy working on your phone, ask him if he can remove the original battery without damaging it in any way, if he says "yes" only then tell him to install this 3rd party battery but don't glue it in yet, just close the phone and get your original battery with you, don't leave it at the shop.

3. At home charge it all the way and keep it on charge for 2 more hours after it reaches 100%. Let it deplete to 0% until the phone switches off, then charge it again to 100% without disconnecting. This will do the battery calibration.

4. Now use the phone like you normally do and see if it performs okay, gets you the backup you need, if satisfied then go the shop get it properly glued down with adhesive tape. If in case you don't feel any difference in performance, just get it removed put original battery back in and process the battery return.

The thing is if you glue it down with adhesive tape initially and then you try to remove the battery, most of the time adhesive tape breaks in the middle of removal and then you have to get the battery out with a pry tool which damages the battery. In that case you won't be able to return the battery. Side note - The removal of original battery the very first time can be done by an expert without damaging it, because it is placed by apple with very high tolerances and pressure which is predictable and aids in removing it cleanly just by pulling the adhesive tape tabs carefully.

Don't give the mobile shop guy more than 500 cause all he is doing is replacing the battery that you brought.

If you feel like the guy is genuine let him source the battery and do all the talk about "I will test first then I will pay" cause testing process will take 2 to 3 days.

In all cases keep the original battery with you it will help you to sell the phone in future, because with third party battery you will get non-original message, don't worry about it, it's harmless doesn't affect any functionality of the phone, it is just a pop up notice that goes away.

Some Extra Info regarding this.

The original iPhone battery has BMS in it, which can be removed and put onto the 3rd party battery, this will fool the phone into thinking that your 3rd party battery is original. This process involves carefully opening both the battery to swap the BMS. Don't do it and don't let anyone do it for you.

Some info regarding third party batteries

Most of the time they are bad if not bought from good source. Even the good ones sometimes not work exactly like the original, but they are good enough and can last as long as your original one did. For example you might see things like battery runs great from 100% to 20% but after that it just starts dropping really fast. But it doesn't matter at that point because even in that state the third party battery performs so much better than the original worn out one. It really gives it a new life.
Thanks a lot for such detailed explanation. I definitely like the idea of returning the battery in case it doesn’t work as expected. Overall cost will be less than 3k max, which sounds like a good deal.

Thanks for the suggestion of keeping original battery, I never thought about that, would have mostly thrown it away after replacing otherwise.

I also wish to change my iphone X battery.
It is 72%. Still works for almost a day ...I don't talk much .
But if I use maps and all the it gets depleted quite fast.

I remember a member here telling me he did exchange it for Rs 2k from cashify and they did a good job. He is happy with it.

Maybe I will take my chance too.
I dont want a new iPhone till iPhone 16.

I also wish to change my iphone X battery.
It is 72%. Still works for almost a day ...I don't talk much .
But if I use maps and all the it gets depleted quite fast.

I remember a member here telling me he did exchange it for Rs 2k from cashify and they did a good job. He is happy with it.

Maybe I will take my chance too.
I dont want a new iPhone till iPhone 16.
Yeah but what it seems like it’s a hit and miss with Cashify. I liked the suggestion by @Heisen

Dude if you are in mumbai i can guide you to a shop who can replace with original battery i hve seen original foxconn battery box at his shop pm me :)

i hve seen original foxconn battery
There is no such thing as original battery from aftermarket its the same case as with other parts like screens etc. It can be first a copy which is in distinguishable from the original. The only way to get original battery from other than apple is from another iPhone.

Just look at iFixit replacement batteries for iphones, they have iFixit branding on them, a company this big can't source original batteries but some guy in aftermarket can, doesn't feel right.

With right to repair this can change but currently no such thing at least in India.

it is a original battery with proper bar code and authencity hologram i can vouch for that guy coz he is my friend's classmate though i cant share the image here coz he told me apple doesnt allow to sell original parts at local store

today i went his store to fix my moto z2 play screen so i asked him about a box lying on the table he told me its a iphone xs original battery for a customer i told him i also want to get it replaced with a original one soon :)

it is a original battery with proper bar code and authencity hologram i can vouch for that guy coz he is my friend's classmate though i cant share the image here coz he told me apple doesnt allow to sell original parts at local store

today i went his store to fix my moto z2 play screen so i asked him about a box lying on the table he told me its a iphone xs original battery for a customer i told him i also want to get it replaced with a original one soon :)
I am afraid your friend is making fool out of customers by saying he is installing original batteries in their phones, but I can understand, he has to sell and rep to maintain, he has to say things that make more sales.

But I can assure you, those batteries are first copy, you can't get original batteries, if you could there won't be so many third party battery manufactures that go by different names. They do work just like the original one but they are not from the same batch that goes into iPhone while manufacturing.

Just look at to what extend a third party iPhone battery manufacture can go to make them, sell them and make profit, with this much investment don't you think they can generate a simple foxconn logo for few batches. The copy cat levels are insane in china, you can pretty much get anything looking like original.

Last edited:
Dude if you are in mumbai i can guide you to a shop who can replace with original battery i hve seen original foxconn battery box at his shop pm me :)
Please PM, I am from Mumbai. Also a recruit so can’t PM.
@girish925 can you PM me? Would definitely want to know where can I get my phone’s battery replaced.

Last edited:
Back