Budget 15-20K iPhone 4 16GB for approx 18K in exchange of used android, need advice

raksrules

Elite
I am deliberately not using the template here because we have fixed the phone to be bought, it is going to be an iPhone. Just want to make it clear that android is totally out of list here. So please do not suggest any android device.
Now my brother does not really have a budget but i know how much he could spend and as per what his needs are i suggested iPhone 4 to him. He is using Infuse as of now with stock Froyo OS (yes Froyo).
He just uses some apps and whatsapp and wants a good battery life.

Now to the main question, is buying a 16GB iPhone 4 new for around 18K in exchange of the infuse, a good deal ? No store is buying the Infuse as it is so exchange is only option.
And i know the condition of the infuse so i am deliberately not selling it to any individual here on TE or any other forum.
We are not really after any latest devices or future proofing anything. Want something which suffices his needs and is a quality product. I know most apps will work on the iPhone 4 and i can also update to iOS 7 if needed.

Yeah we are in no hurry. I do think iPhone 4S may be a better bet. I hope to see 4S prices come down to less than 20K and i seriously hope Apple runs the similar kind of promotion on the 4S too like they have been doing for the 4.
Lets see, we can wait yes.

Does anyone know when we can expect in reduction of iPhone 4 or 4S prices since now 5c/5s will launch. Also I am more inclined to get the iPhone 4 as I know it still checks all boxes for us and moreover it is jailbreak able even in iOS 6.1.3 and if I buy a new iPhone 4 from store I am not expecting them to ever come with anything above iOS 6.1.3 so I know I will always be able to jailbreak. On the other hand, 4S if comes with 6.1.3 we cannot jailbreak unless iOS 7 is jailbroken and we are in no hurry to update the iOS as personally I don't even like look of iOS 7.
iPhone 4 is officially discontinued in India because when I called the apple India number they told me that. But they were not aware about the reduction of prices.

Whats the Issue with Your Infuse
I am interested in Buying it

I have to ask my brother exactly, it's on official ginger bread for now. Never tried custom ROMs since I find it confusing on this phone.

Edit: asked my brother and this is what he says..

He is not happy with battery life. He says lasts 12 hours with full time 2g on, Whatsapp and games of like 1+ hour daily. But he said that it shows H for him in the top which means he is on 3G network entire day and in most cases it keeps switching between E and H which I think will eat battery. ?he confirmed it keeps switching between 3G and 2G).
I have told him to force edge and see tomorrow. Also minimize games.
His Whatsapp usage is very heavy. He sent me a screenshot of battery usage and 39% was screen on time so I am sure he keeps the screen on for lot of time.
There seems to be no hardware issue at all. His usage only seems very high. Mostly screen on time and all. I will probably use myself and see and report.

I had thought there is hardware problem but there isn't.

@destiny

I may not sell the Infuse on forums because i feel the phone may have issues, Sorry for that but this is only because i do not want anyone to feel betrayed after i sell the phone.

So now when can i expect the prices of iPhone 4 to get reduced in general market ? The price is still 25.5K for 16GB model and we need 16GB minimum.

So now when can i expect the prices of iPhone 4 to get reduced in general market ?

Depending on when Apple launches new phone in India and what it does with older phones. If its going US way than IMO, iPhone 4 will be discontinued at current price only. I feel Apple will announce next phone here by Dashera at max. I know this means more waiting but buying an iPhone 4 @ 25.5K (even after exchange) won't be a wise thing to do.

Depending on when Apple launches new phone in India and what it does with older phones. If its going US way than IMO, iPhone 4 will be discontinued at current price only. I feel Apple will announce next phone here by Dashera at max. I know this means more waiting but buying an iPhone 4 @ 25.5K (even after exchange) won't be a wise thing to do.

25.5K is before exchange price. As of now I am expecting below 20k after exchange but yes I want to wait for new launches for price to get reduced for 4.

It also might be possible that iPhone 4S is placed at current pricing of iPhone 4.
yes I am expecting that. But biggest problem is that 4s will come with iOS 6.1.3 which is not jailbreak able while the same iOS version is jailbreak able on 4.
Hope to see some iOS 7 jailbreak news to come so that I can confidently buy 4S.
I had called up apple India and they got no date of 5c and 5s launch. And no news about reduction of prices of previous models.

I had called up apple India and they got no date of 5c and 5s launch. And no news about reduction of prices of previous models.

Launch of new model and reduction on price of older model should go hand-in-hand. Personally I do not think iPhone 4S 8GB makes any sense. With 1080p video recording 8GB (~6.4GB in real case) is too less.

Launch of new model and reduction on price of older model should go hand-in-hand. Personally I do not think iPhone 4S 8GB makes any sense. With 1080p video recording 8GB (~6.4GB in real case) is too less.

Yeah no 8gb ever. Minimum 16gb I am buying.I am waiting for official price to come down so the 4s 16gb price also will reduce.

Back