Iphone 4.. advise please..

Hi guys,
planning on getting an IPhone 4(16gb) from U.S, askin my cousin to get it for.. wanted to know if it's better to buy the phone here in India itself?? Also, if i get the phone from states, then how do i UNLOCK the phone here??
Please also suggest me if there are any better phones to buy for the same price range.

If you are finding a good deal, then you can buy it from US.

Used ones, 16GB, locked to AT&T, you can get around 20-22k

new ones, around 26k

check ebay.com

as verizon iPhone is launching, expect price drops of used ones.

Unless you're getting good deal, don't buy locked ones. In India, right now, it costs you around 36k for factory unlocked.

phoenix844884 said:
Stay away from locked iPhones. Get a factory unlocked one from Canada and get it shipped to your cousin.
+1 to that. Don't buy iphones from US. Locked ones are always a pain in the a*s. Plus there is no unlock for the iphone 4 running 4.2.1 and the jailbreak is still a Beta

Dont get a locked iphone 4 from US, unlocking is not that easy, some TE members are stuck with a locked iphone4 since months and some have even sold them to get an unlocked one.

ethanhunt123 said:
Yep. rather pick one up from Singapore for 31k unlocked.
In Singapore where is it available for 31k? My nephew is currently in Singapore and he wants to buy one. And both of us have no knowledge of the iphone. So kindly guide me. Can a phone bought in Singapore be jailbroken? Should he look for a specific firmware?

paraman said:
Can a phone bought in Singapore be jailbroken? Should he look for a specific firmware?

Out of stock in Singapore. Have to wait for one more month. And don't worry about jailbreaking and all, in Singapore you will get Factory Unlocked :D

paraman said:
But even a factory unlocked phone has to be jailbroken, isn't it? AFAIK unlocking and jailbreaking are 2 different things.
unlocking and jailbreaking are 2 different things but jailbreak is not necessary for factory unlocked phones as you can use it with any network.For locked phones:first jailbreak, then unlock.

Not only 4.2.1 even 4.1 doesn't have a unlock yet. I am sitting with a locked iPhone since past 4 months(yes you read it right) and there is nothing which suggests that there would be a unlock available anytime soon.

RS4 said:
unlocking and jailbreaking are 2 different things but jailbreak is not necessary for factory unlocked phones as you can use it with any network.For locked phones:first jailbreak, then unlock.
But even if I buy a factory unlocked phone, I would still have to jailbreak it to be able to install p*****d apps / games on it, don't I?

^^If you can afford a 35k+ phone then you should pay for the apps and support the developers, there are a lot of free apps which you can try if you find $1-$5 apps as expensive.

If that were true than there wouldnt be any such thing as a jailbreak. I am just gathering information on this subject as my knowledge of things related to iphone is very little. It is not yet certain that my nephew will even buy the iphone4.

Back