IPhone 5 from US

I am planning to pickup an non contract AT&T iPhone 5 in US. I just want to make sure that this phone will work in India (I am guessing in 3G AT&T had same baseband as Airtel) but now with 4G LTE etc. Just want to make sure it will work. I am planning to get it unlocked from many sites that sell unlock codes for 10 dollars. Please let me know if this is feasible. As buying a factory unlocked phone comes out to be more expensive, and if AT&T phone can be unlocked and will work in India without any problem than I would ideally like to save the money!

Isnt non contract ATT iPhone a Factory unlocked one?. Stay away from those $10 unlocking codes becuase a TE member who repairs iPhones said that ATT will no longer unlock phones after Jan 1st.

Its always better to get a factory unlocked phone.

Isnt non contract ATT iPhone a Factory unlocked one?. Stay away from those $10 unlocking codes becuase a TE member who repairs iPhones said that ATT will no longer unlock phones after Jan 1st.

Its always better to get a factory unlocked phone.

I might be wrong but AT&T not unlocking after january 1 might not affect those under $10 unlocking offers.

I got an in-contract AT&T iphone5 last month and was able to unlock it for as low as Rs111/-. Search for sellers on ebay india..

The difference between US and India coming out to be Rs.9000 or so. I have done this in the past with iPhone 4 but am a little sceptical about taking the plunge on Iphone 5.... So a few more questions.
I do have a few AT&T micro sim's lieing around in India that I had used for activation for my Iphone 4. Will these sim (provided I cut) work for activating AT&T Iphone 5? I am reading on forums that there might be some new activation method linked to SSN and Phone number etc. Just want to make sure if I buy a sealed AT&T IPhone from Ebay.com will I be able to activate it like I used to before, or will I be screwed and should I rather go for Indian IPhone...

Buying unlocked US IPhone makes no sense as the cost difference between India and US is roughly 100 dollars.. not worth imo.

Back