iPhone 5 to be slimmer and offer a larger screen with a higher PPI

Aman27deep

Skilled
iPhone 5 to be slimmer and offer a larger screen with a higher PPI

A report from the brokerage firm Jefferies has been released which says that it expects the iPhone 5 to offer a larger 4 inch screen with a much higher PPI (Pixels Per Inch) resolution. The report also says that the handset will be 20% thinner than the iPhone 4S, and that the next phone in the iPhone series might also include Liquid Metal components. It is supposed to launched between the June and October of 2012. Nearly everyone else is also claiming that the iPhone's screen has been indeed been bumped to a size of 4 inches, in order to have some competition with the much larger in sized Android handsets on the Market (http://www.phonearen...-screen_id26284).

Other design changes that are being talked about include a smaller dock connector for the new iPhone. LTE connectivity is also expected to appear on the iPhone for the first time. There are still doubts on which processor will be used on this new iPhone, though some people are expecting the same processor to be used which was there on the 4S (Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9).

Source : http://www.phonearen...olution_id29595

Wow this is something to watch out for. Also finally looks like Apple wont be able to rake in the kind of margins it has been getting until now.

Liq metal was a company they bought. Name of company was something else. The only component as of now is that pin - which removes the slot. It's a kind of plastic or something, which is light and strong. IIRC, I am not really sure. Google for more...

And what about another theory where it was mentioned that anything above 3.7 inch size, human hands cant hold the phone comfortably?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Yeah,i am expecting A5X chip with a more powerful power vr GPU at higher clock speeds.More RAM.Metal back with the same phone size though the display size bumped up to 3.8 or maybe 4.ios6.

And what about another theory where it was mentioned that anything above 3.7 inch size, human hands cant hold the phone comfortably?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

That was a theory propagated by fans and bloggers. I don't think Apple ever said something like that in public.

That was a theory propagated by fans and bloggers. I don't think Apple ever said something like that in public.

^^ Actually the late Mr.Steve Jobs being his usual self did blabber at a press conference Q&A session that size above 3.5" is not needed on phones and ridiculed phones having screens larger than 3.5" saying that they will not sell at all. Considering that every 3rd guy (and gal) that I run into at office these days has a Galaxy Note , I guess Apple too wants to bury whatever Jobs said along with him.

And the rumor mill starts Rollin and rolling. Sorry guys no offense here. What's the biggest disappointment for me is watching the live feeds of "let's talk iPhone"💻📱 and the new iPad, I believed they call it iPad 2s.

Complete disappointment from what we read on various blogs.

I believe they do what they do. Apple now focussing on software side than hardware.

Sent from my metallic iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ Actually the late Mr.Steve Jobs being his usual self did blabber at a press conference Q&A session that size above 3.5" is not needed on phones and ridiculed phones having screens larger than 3.5" saying that they will not sell at all.

Interesting. I must have missed that. Can you link me to that blabber by Steve Jobs?

They should rather focus on making it cheaper.

Pointless for them to do so when they are already managing to sell so many millions of those units. Plus, a price reduction might also hit the 'Premium' tag
<

Interesting. I must have missed that. Can you link me to that blabber by Steve Jobs?

This is a link from Engadget. However this was not where I read it originally.

http://www.engadget....uy-a-big-phone/

Personally, I myself used to consider phones with a screen larger than 4" to be uncomfortable and unpocketable if not unusable. Even 4.3" seemed overkill, but then Dell Streak came along and people started using it as phone bringing it to the attention of mobile manufacturers that there may be market even for phone with 5" screens. I think this is what prompted Samsung to bring out the Note. I tried Note at a store and surprisingly it didn't feel that uncomfortable to use even though pocketability is still a question.

Steve Jobs had said a lot of ridiculous things in his day as and when it suited him... including the one where he claimed that a tablet smaller (or larger) than iPad is unless. Jobs may still not have allowed a phone with 3.5" + screen if he had been alive considering his nature, but now it wouldn't be surprising if Apple moved on and bring a phone with a larger screen. Considering the popularity of 7/8" tablets, Apple might even come up with a similar sized iPad as well.

^^That was on another occasion, it was on the lines that he won't make a phone with screen larger than 3.5" because its simply not needed. I cannot find a direct reference link for that now. Actually these are not the only times he said something like this. On several occasions, in response to questions at press releases, he made it clear that Apple won't be coming out with an iPhone with screen larger than 3.5". Google yourself and you will find more instances.

OK. So after trying to search, you cannot find a direct reference link for something you claimed and then you are asking me to Google it?

Arey how does it matter, Steve Job is gone RIP, Apple will have to increase the screen size if they want to convert Android Smartphone Users.

You could technically still make phones which are not significantly bigger but have larger than 3.5" screen.

obviously, you cannot make phone smaller than the screen size. then ergonomically you have to leave certain amount of bezel around the screen else people will make numerous accidental touch inputs. you can reduce thickness only so much, few mm is not going to significantly affect the horizontal perimeter.

so anything bigger than 3.5" will definitely be bigger to hold. and that is what steve (casually taking jibes at the then larger screen phones) says below.

same thing was said about smaller ipads, and now there are rumours that apple will be bringing a smaller ipad to market.

OK. So after trying to search, you cannot find a direct reference link for something you claimed and then you are asking me to Google it?

he said this during the antennagate press conference. the 3.5 is not in the sentence but it is understood as it is the size of the iphone screen.

You could make a really big smartphone that doesn’t have this problem — some of these guys are making Hummers now — so big you can’t get your hand around it. But no one’s going to buy that.

http://live.gdgt.com/live-iphone-4-press-event-coverage/

_

Back