iPhone 5s, 5c to be sold by Reliance Communications at Rs 2,999, Rs 2,599 EMIs

CItibank is also having an offer for today only. 10% cash back on purchase of iphone 5s and 5c at apple stores.

Wow!! This looks like a steal for heavy users!! There have to be some caps on Data, still looks pretty good.

I guess I need to read before I leap! So this works out to 72,000 over 2 years for a 5S. Seems worth i if you have a monthly mobile bill of 1500+ a month.

This seems insanely overpriced...even if one is a heavy mobile user...call charges=600 pm , net charges = 600 pm for 3GB...

1200 pm x 24 =28800

Paying 72000-28800=43.2 K for the phone

Also, you will be stuck with Apple and more importantly this model for the next 2 years...

Assumption:
1.Reliance calls and 3g are actually useful
2. They dont charge extra as they seem to be promising
3. This isnt anther fraud by Reliance
4. Overpriced jewellery in the first place is fairly priced?

This seems insanely overpriced...even if one is a heavy mobile user...call charges=600 pm , net charges = 600 pm for 3GB...

1200 pm x 24 =28800

Paying 72000-28800=43.2 K for the phone

Also, you will be stuck with Apple and more importantly this model for the next 2 years...

Assumption:
1.Reliance calls and 3g are actually useful
2. They dont charge extra as they seem to be promising
3. This isnt anther fraud by Reliance
4. Overpriced jewellery in the first place is fairly priced?

Don't you think your call and message charges are a bit low? Pretty sure at an avg of 50p per min heavy users run up a bill of at least 1K or more on calls. Add 500 for 3g and you are looking at a 1500 bill if not more. In fact there is/was an Airtel plan that offered 10000 mins local/std/roaming + 8gb of 3g Data for 1600+taxes.

Also apple phones seem to have great resale value and you could easily get 20K for a 2 generation old phone in good condition. As usual there are a number of assumptions etc.. but it could be a decent deal.

Oh okay I think I might have been mistaken then.

1. Didnt think so much call charges
2. Didnt think you could sell an iphone 3g now for 20k. It should be an antique item and thats why may be people pay that much :p

But do you think it is really better to get this then going for an unlocked phone and taking the necessary plans?

Oh okay I think I might have been mistaken then.

1. Didnt think so much call charges
2. Didnt think you could sell an iphone 3g now for 20k. It should be an antique item and thats why may be people pay that much :p

But do you think it is really better to get this then going for an unlocked phone and taking the necessary plans?

Why iphone 3g? The 2 generation old model is now the 4S. There is no mention of locked or unlocked. They mention that they are tying up with credit card companies. If it's like regular EMI's of credit card companies then 72K will be blocked from your card. They charge you 3K regardless. Even if you want to switch providers, etc they still charge you. (assumption).

It's not a steal by any means. Just makes sense if:
1. You want a 5S and intend on keeping ti for 2 years AND
2. You are a heavy user AND
3. You don't want to plonk 50K or so in one go. AND
4. You have faith in Reliance's services.

Lot's of ifs but I'm sure there are some people who fall under this category.

Yeah I think the population is so huge...that there are bound to be such people...

But I think you are missing two things:
1. The phone will be 2 years old by then...that is it will be 4 generations old
2. We dont know if that amount is inc of taxes or not

Anyways I think we both are saying the same thing.

You Would be Subjected to 12.36% service tax most probably since it might be billed as a service/telephone bill . They can always use loopholes and bill it as a VAT PAID phone though . If there is service tax it might not seem like a good deal since there might be fair usage limits .Its more like The schemes in the states where they charge you more for usage when they give the phone practically for free

Airtel too is coming up with the similar plans. A friend working at Delhi Airport looking after India times advertising mentioned the same yesterday night. I am on Vodafone and I would like to stick to Voda as I find their service and coverage pretty decent especially in NCR. Not so sure about Airtel Reliance as their customer care sucked last time I checked and so did service(This is CDMA I am talking about, lots of call drops and hazy voice). I am sure their GSM service would be better but I won't like to take a chance. Will advise peeps here to wait for a fortnight or so for other service providers to respond.

Regarding the scheme I believe its a brilliant move by Apple. This will help in better iPhone sales for sure. To be able to simply walk in a store and walk out with the highest selling smart phone in the world with under $100 in your pocket is a brilliant move. Not even US have such schemes(Amount wise). All you need is a good credit history. My phone bill hovers around 1-1.2K per month with low data usage and high voice usage. So buying this would seem logical if I were to upgrade.

Last edited:
Back