iPhone production in India could be blocked by small farmers and local officials

I was under the impression that India had the only iphone factory outside the China. I was wrong. Vietnam, Indonesia also got their share of iPhone factories. It would have been very weird if, outside china, Apple had relied on India alone as it's not an industry trend. Seeing how it is, I think Apple wanted to put eggs in as many baskets as it could. Whatever sticks, right?

Not going to replace China in manufacturing anytime soon, that’s for sure.
For now, ASEAN countries do show themselves as the second best choice.

We already missed 1st wave of manufacturing when China took over, now 2nd wave is happening and looks like we will miss the Train again. Maybe 3rd time the lucky charm.

We already missed 1st wave of manufacturing when China took over, now 2nd wave is happening and looks like we will miss the Train again. Maybe 3rd time the lucky charm.
This second wave was inadvertently got created thanks to COVID. Otherwise, the original 2nd wave was destined for Africa.

India lost its window long time ago.

Why Indian people fail to understand the economy and how much industrialization is required. Infrastructure is totally different from software industry. It took time and lots of inves to build and sustain Infrastructure. Really hope govt take corrective action.

Not going to replace China in manufacturing anytime soon, that’s for sure.

So they find a state which will give them land and make things move faster. Remember what happened with the Tata Nano?

LG & Samsung don't seem to have problems finding space. Why is that? Their appliances and phones have been made in India since 2015

Note 7 was made here. The one that got banned but Apple was saying oh we don't know if we can do it.

They go on about the strike at the Karnataka factory caused by external agents but forget to mention strikes are not unknown in Chinese Foxconn factories as early as 2010

The bottom line is they have to decouple from China and only India has the manpower to scale up.

Last edited:
So they find a state which will give them land and make things move faster. Remember what happened with the Tata Nano?

LG & Samsung don't seem to have problems finding space. Why is that? Their appliances and phones have been made in India since 2015

Note 7 was made here. The one that got banned but Apple was saying oh we don't know if we can do it.

They go on about the strike at the Karnataka factory caused by external agents but forget to mention strikes are not unknown in Chinese Foxconn factories as early as 2010

The bottom line is they have to decouple from China and only India has the manpower to scale up.
Like many things, where there is a will, there is a way.

They simply want to show and advertise that they do many things like care for their employees, care where the phones are manufactured, care about the users privacy but their actual actions don't align with their actions, at least when those actions need to be taken at a cost to them.

but all of it is a show..otherwise they should just put their money where there mouth is and make it work

This reminded me of a reporter asking Charlie Munger about India.

"Now you turn to India. And I would say, I’d rather work with a bunch of Chinese than I would the Indian civilization mired down, caste system, over-population, assimilated the worst stupidities of the democratic system, which by the way Lee Kuan Yew avoided, it’s hard to get anything done in India. And the bribes are just awful. So, all I can say is, it’s not going to be easy for India to follow the example of Lee Kuan Yew. I think that India will move ahead. But it is so defective as a get-ahead…the Indians I know are fabulous people. They’re just as talented as the Chinese, I’m speaking about the Indian populace. But the system and the poverty and the corruption and the crazy democratic thing where you let anybody who screams stop all progress? It mires India with problems that Lee Kuan Yew didn’t have. And I don’t think those Indian problems are always easy to fix. Let me give you an example.

The Korean steel company, POSCO, invented a new way of creating steel out of lousy iron ore and lousy coal. And there’s some province in India that has lots of lousy iron ore and lot of lousy coal. Which is there’s not much use for. And this one process would take their lousy iron ore and the coal and make a lot of steel. And they got a lot of cheap labor.
So POSCO and India were made for each other. And they made a deal with the province to get together and use the POSCO know how and the India lousy iron ore and lousy coal. And 8 or 9 or 10 years later with everybody screaming and objecting and farmers lying down in the road, or whatever’s going on, they canceled the whole thing. In China they would have just done it. "

Like many things, where there is a will, there is a way.

They simply want to show and advertise that they do many things like care for their employees, care where the phones are manufactured, care about the users privacy but their actual actions don't align with their actions, at least when those actions need to be taken at a cost to them.

but all of it is a show..otherwise they should just put their money where there mouth is and make it work
Why does everything about Apple have to be a drama? I notice this is the case with every damn flagship on Android too

Some small thing about Pixel gets blown up like its life or death ditto other phones. This is a sign of people acquiring things they cannot afford.

We don't see anywhere near this drama with midranges.

Have always found the XDA forums for these phones quietly humming with zero drama

Back