iPhone Query..PLZ HELP

pranut

Adept
Ok my dad got a new iPhone from US and got it unlocked here in New Delhi, Now, I dont know whether it is jailbroken or not.

Q1. Is there anyway I can know whether the iphone is jailbroken or not?

Q2. The iPhone is currently on Firmware 3.0, is there anyway I can update it ? What will happen if I update it to latest firmware using iTunes ? I mean will it get locked again ? I really want to update it, please help!

Q3. I dont even know whether its iPhone 1G or 2G:huh:, how to identify that ? Its certainly not iPhone 3G.

Even my dad doesn't know about these things, lol :eek:hyeah:

THANKS GUYS!

Bump Bump..!

BUMPS BUMPS AND LOT OF BUMPS!

plz help guys!

There is no existence of 1g iphone in my knowledge. It must be 2g, if it's having a greyish and white shade.

If in the homescreen you can see an icon saying "cydia", then yes it is jailbroken.

If you are at 3.0, then better stay there only.

For more info about updating firmware, you must google everything about it, because there is a lot about iphone you should know before playing with it's OS.

If it has a metal back cover, it's the iPhone 2G. The iPhone 3G and 3GS have a plastic back cover, in either black or white. The iPhone 2G doesn't have this choice of colors.

Like harsh88007 said, if you see the Cydia icon on the homescreen, your phone is jailbroken. If it's a 2G, you can easily upgrade to 3.1.3 and use redsn0w to jailbreak/unlock it.

unlock: stick to current firmware version. You can post a picture of backside of your iphone so that we can identify which version it is:

iphone 3G: http://www.homorazzi.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/iphone-3g.jpg

iphone 2G (first gen iphone): http://images.businessweek.com/ss/08/07/0717_idea_winners/image/g_iphone.jpg

iphone 3GS: http://www.shufflegazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/iphone3gs_2up.jpg

to identify physicall, check "iPhone" name at the bottom of backside of your phone. the font is greyish for iphone 3G and shiny silverish for iphone 3G S.

And when it comes to features, iphone 3GS has lot more features

Apple - iPhone - Compare iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G

thanks for the reply guys, i think it is 2g only, and i have also confirmed that it is not jailbroken, is there anyway i can update its firmware? Also cant confirm from its look whether its 2g or 3g as it came with a skin which i have no idea how to remove! please suggest me how to hack it. THANKS!

hmm.

Home Screen -> settings -> General -> About.

can you post what the Model number is from this menu?

A picture of the phone will be much better.

If its a iphone 2g follow this guide to jailbreak it and update to os 3.1.3, afaik only an iphone 2g can be unlocked without being jailbroken.. if your phone does not have the cydia icon on any of the pages but ur sure it has been unlocked to make it work here then its an iphone 2g... but post pics of the phone just to make sure

But the iPhone is already unlocked, so should I update it to 3.1.3 using iTunes ? and then follow the procedure u have given ?

Update to 3.1.2 just to be on the safe side. 3.1.3's unlock hasn't been released yet.

For jailbreak, you can use blackra1n or SpiritJB.

pranut said:
But the iPhone is already unlocked, so should I update it to 3.1.3 using iTunes ? and then follow the procedure u have given ?

Yea, update to 3.1.3 using itunes, then follow the procedure, to perform that procedure u'll have to download the 3.1.2 firmware file also..

sibot said:
Update to 3.1.2 just to be on the safe side. 3.1.3's unlock hasn't been released yet.

For jailbreak, you can use blackra1n or SpiritJB.

3.1.3 unlock has not been released for 3gs , the 3g baseband can be downgraded and 2g can be unlocked regardless of firmware version & the iphone 2g cannot be unlocked using spirit or blackra1n.

Restore to 3.1.3 using iTunes. Use redsn0w to unlock and jailbreak. When redsn0w asks for the firmware, point it to the 3.1.2 ipsw file and you're good to go.

you can actually update it to the latest firmware and then jailbreak it. Spirit jailbreak is out for all versions of Iphone OS (except for the beta 4.0)

Also, I am not quite sure if you can use yellowsn0w to unlock it because it worked on 3.0, but not quite sure for the 3.1.2 or 3.1.3

Back