iPod Classic 160GB Resurrection

NinjaTheory

Disciple
Found my iPod Classic, it's in fantastic condition however the battery seems weak as heck and the HDD is making odd sounds (not sure if it's underpowered by a dead battery). Am in BLR, is there anyone who knows someone or a company that can fix it? There's still a huge market for these as projects and people upgrade the DAC, load RockBox and make crazy good portable audio players out of them. Fancy exploring a project like that myself with the help of someone who knows what they're doing.

It's a shame to let a legend just die. Certain that this baby is going to be worth a small fortune for collectors too.

Ideas?

You can honestly try yourself. All you need to do is find a battery replacement rest is all documented on Youtube. As for the HDD it might be the case which you're saying or it might be on the verge of dying.
There are ways by which people replace the HDD with SD cards using adaptors, you can find it on Youtube again.

You can honestly try yourself. All you need to do is find a battery replacement rest is all documented on Youtube. As for the HDD it might be the case which you're saying or it might be on the verge of dying.
There are ways by which people replace the HDD with SD cards using adaptors, you can find it on Youtube again.

Every electronic project I've undertaken to date has ended up killing whatever I've been working on. Hence me wanting to work with someone who's a bit better off with electronics. Or better, I don't mind paying someone to do it lol

I recently resurrected an iPod photo. Getting into the device is the hardest part.

Hdd clicking means it’s going to die soon. You’ll need to get a board that converts the hdd ribbon to something that accepts cf or sd.

Since it does power on, the battery will most likely be good enough for short listening sessions. Consider replacing it only if you plan on using it .

it’ll be difficult to find a vendor for this. And even if you do they’ll probably rip you off. You should consider a DIY repair. Breaking stuff at the beginning is just the cost of learning. Once you get some confidence and start successfully fixing stuff - it will be extremely satisfying and rewarding.

take the leap - I will provide whatever support you need :)

I recently resurrected an iPod photo. Getting into the device is the hardest part.

Hdd clicking means it’s going to die soon. You’ll need to get a board that converts the hdd ribbon to something that accepts cf or sd.

Since it does power on, the battery will most likely be good enough for short listening sessions. Consider replacing it only if you plan on using it .

it’ll be difficult to find a vendor for this. And even if you do they’ll probably rip you off. You should consider a DIY repair. Breaking stuff at the beginning is just the cost of learning. Once you get some confidence and start successfully fixing stuff - it will be extremely satisfying and rewarding.

take the leap - I will provide whatever support you need :)

Thank you for the support and direction. I might try this then as a DIY Project and maybe document it as I adventure into it.

If anyone is interested, I could share the journey here.

In case you would like guidance or have the ipod restored by someone who knows what they're doing, look up Mathews on olx. He sells repair kits and will fix your ipod for you. I have nothing to do with his business, but have interacted with him briefly on Reddit. He seems to know what he is doing.

In case you would like guidance or have the ipod restored by someone who knows what they're doing, look up Mathews on olx. He sells repair kits and will fix your ipod for you. I have nothing to do with his business, but have interacted with him briefly on Reddit. He seems to know what he is doing.
That's amazing. Will research the best way I can go about doing this put it together here maybe as a guide for those keen on trying this out. If I fail, well that too is a lesson to share lol

Back